Jon Oblad

Default Shotgun part manufacture - magazine extension tube

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 02:45:16 GMT, Jim Stewart
wrote:

My first thought would be to call Choate and see
if they can do a custom for you. It might be
cheaper as they would be set up for this kind of
work.

That was my first thought, too. Fred Choate told me it wasn't
something that they do.

Otherwise it would seem to be a job for a gunsmith
rather than a general machine shop.

None of the gunsmiths in the Seattle area that I talked to seemed
interested in doing this, unfortunately.

Most of the
$60/hr machinists I've known want to work from a
blueprint, not build to fit.

This is a completely uninformed opinion, but I was thinking that this
might be a feasable way to manufacture this part:

1) Buy a new Stoeger 2000 magazine cap.
2) Buy a new mag extension for another shotgun.
3) Drill a hole through the solid end of the magazine cap, same
diameter as i.d. of mag tube of shotgun.
4) Cut tube portion off of magazine extension for another shotgun.
5) Weld 3) to 4).

Then it seems that all you'd have to do would be to make sure the
bored through mag cap and the tube were parallel and then the inner
parts were properly smoothed down. Would that work, and be simple and
easy to do?

- Jon Oblad