Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default television goes again by hitting the top of it?

Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it would
automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many times I
tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the tv a whack
at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most of the picture
would disappear and there would just be flickering strips of picture near
the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some more whacks it
would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be, could it be as
simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the cathode ray tube, why
would a whack help the tube to go again?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"blanking" (blanking@brain) writes:
Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it would
automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many times I
tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the tv a whack
at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most of the picture
would disappear and there would just be flickering strips of picture near
the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some more whacks it
would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be, could it be as
simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the cathode ray tube, why
would a whack help the tube to go again?

The picture tube is likely fine, this is a problem far removed from it.

Something is making bad contact, either a connector that is no longer
making contact all times, or a bad solder joint.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

blanking wrote:

Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it would
automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many times I
tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the tv a whack
at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most of the picture
would disappear and there would just be flickering strips of picture near
the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some more whacks it
would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be, could it be as
simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the cathode ray tube, why
would a whack help the tube to go again?

It has a Whack detector security option you turned on?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

It has a Whack detector security option you turned on?

If it does, you better stay away from it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Probably a bad solder connection on the circuit board, or a component that
is going mechanically intermittent. Take the set to a service centre, and
get it properly fixed.

--

JANA
_____

"blanking" blanking@brain wrote in message
Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it would
automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many times I
tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the tv a whack
at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most of the picture
would disappear and there would just be flickering strips of picture near
the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some more whacks it
would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be, could it be as
simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the cathode ray tube, why
would a whack help the tube to go again?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks but I want to give it a go myself, for 2 reasons, the cost of
servicing compared to buying a new similar tv and I am reasonably handy
myself with although limited electronic knowledge. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if I
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps. The fact that it responds to a tap on the
top of the tv makes me think it is probably not in the circuit board, it has
settled down at the moment but the next time it goes haywire I will trying
tapping different parts of the tv and see if i can narrow things down a
little there before opening it up. Is it possible for dust to cause this
sort of problem or are there no conductive parts exposed to the dust?

"JANA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"blanking" blanking@brain wrote in message
Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it would
automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many times I
tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the tv a
whack at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most of the
picture would disappear and there would just be flickering strips of
picture near the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some more
whacks it would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be, could
it be as simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the cathode ray
tube, why would a whack help the tube to go again?

It's cracked solder joints on one of the boards, take it somewhere to have
the problem fixed. Stop using it *now* and certainly stop whacking it, quite
a few TV failures start out as solder joints then much more severe damage
occurs because people continue to use the things.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Black" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, leaving solder joints out for the moment where am I best to look for
this, I will trying
tapping different parts of the tv and see if i can narrow things down a
little there before opening it up so you may want to wait till i have done
this before you answer my question, thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"blanking" blanking@brain wrote in message
Thanks but I want to give it a go myself, for 2 reasons, the cost of
servicing compared to buying a new similar tv and I am reasonably handy
myself with although limited electronic knowledge. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if I
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps. The fact that it responds to a tap on
the top of the tv makes me think it is probably not in the circuit board,
it has settled down at the moment but the next time it goes haywire I will
trying tapping different parts of the tv and see if i can narrow things
down a little there before opening it up. Is it possible for dust to cause
this sort of problem or are there no conductive parts exposed to the dust?

It's on one of the boards, guarranteed. When you tap on the top, the
vibration passes through the entire chassis. Pull the back cover off and
poke around with an insulated stick, a wood dowel works pretty well for
this. It shouldn't take long to find the ticklish spot, at which point you
can figure out a way to access the solder side of the board and touch up any
suspect joints. It may take a couple passes but if you can solder and have
some common sense this should be within your ability to repair.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"blanking" blanking@brain wrote in message
I will look into safety measures before working on the inside of the tv and
i certainly will not try working on it with the power turned on.

You pretty much have to work on it with the power turned on, just shut it
off and unplug it before you try to solder anything. Usually there's enough
slack that you can leave the HV anode lead connected to the CRT and not have
to discharge anything. Just give it a few minutes for capacitors in the
power supply to discharge and treat them as charged.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"blanking" blanking@brain wrote in message
I will look into safety measures before working on the inside of the tv
and i certainly will not try working on it with the power turned on.

You pretty much have to work on it with the power turned on, just shut it
off and unplug it before you try to solder anything. Usually there's
enough slack that you can leave the HV anode lead connected to the CRT and
not have to discharge anything. Just give it a few minutes for capacitors
in the power supply to discharge and treat them as charged.

Thanks for the great advice, as you say with this advice and a bit of common
sense I should stand a good chance of fixing it. When it first happened I
just assumed it was a capacitor problem considering it's age and so was just
going to abandon it but when it responded to a tap I thought it might be too
soon to give up on it. The only difficulty at the moment is that the problem
has settled down a lot, so I will have to wait till it gets more flakey as
the act of taking the cover off will probably be enough to get it going
again and at this stage it can keep going for quite sometime before it
flakes out again which makes faultfinding difficult.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "blanking" blanking@brain
wrote:

. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if I
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps.

Yes, that's correct, you troll. Make sure you work with both hands, and
keep one foot in the bathtub.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the great advice, as you say with this advice and a bit of
common sense I should stand a good chance of fixing it. When it first
happened I just assumed it was a capacitor problem considering it's age
and so was just going to abandon it but when it responded to a tap I
thought it might be too soon to give up on it. The only difficulty at the
moment is that the problem has settled down a lot, so I will have to wait
till it gets more flakey as the act of taking the cover off will probably
be enough to get it going again and at this stage it can keep going for
quite sometime before it flakes out again which makes faultfinding
difficult.

Just go for it, when you start poking around, it's very likely the problem
will occur once you start flexing and tapping things.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news
wrote:

. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps.

Yes, that's correct, you troll. Make sure you work with both hands, and
keep one foot in the bathtub.

Not sure why you think i am a troll, I guess what I said is not totally
correct and maybe even dangerous, but I always intended to check with a web
search exactly what to do, all I really know is that the caps will hold a
dangerous charge which i need to discharge somehow.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "blanking" blanking@brain
wrote:

news
wrote:

. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps.

Yes, that's correct, you troll. Make sure you work with both hands, and
keep one foot in the bathtub.

Not sure why you think i am a troll, I guess what I said is not totally
correct and maybe even dangerous, but I always intended to check with a web
search exactly what to do, all I really know is that the caps will hold a
dangerous charge which i need to discharge somehow.

Well, I think it's pretty obvious why you're a troll. You keep muttering
about dust and capacitors and thinking something's loose other than,
let's say, the things that could possibly be loose. And, continually
declining to believe what you're being told. If you came hear to be a
pest, go away. If you came here to learn something, pay attention. You
may have the ability to triumph over your own ignorance, but it's going
to take more effort than you've so far exhibited. Do you know what a
cracked solder joint looks like, how to find one, and how to fix it? No.
And you aren't interested in taking the time to learn. And, I don't
blame you. One lousy 12 year old TV isn't worth the bother.

There's 40,000 volts hanging around in there, and shorting the power
plug pins together isn't going to do a damn thing to discharge them.
Getting thrown across the room and bounced off the wall when you touch
the wrong thing will get rid of part of it, though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"blanking" (blanking@brain) writes:
Thanks but I want to give it a go myself, for 2 reasons, the cost of
servicing compared to buying a new similar tv and I am reasonably handy
myself with although limited electronic knowledge. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if I
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps. The fact that it responds to a tap on the
top of the tv makes me think it is probably not in the circuit board,

The problem is a little knowledge is likely worse than none, because a bit
makes you think you know how to fix the problem.

People have stated what they think the problem is, and you think you
can define what's wrong by how much of a tap you need to give the set?

And I don't really know what that nonsense is about shorting things, but
until you can make sense in that area you shouldn't be going near the insides
of the set.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Very wrong, and a good way to die. see: http://www.repairfaq.org/

The fact that it responds to a tap on the
top of the tv makes me think it is probably not in the circuit board, it has
settled down at the moment but the next time it goes haywire I will trying
tapping different parts of the tv and see if i can narrow things down a
little there before opening it up. Is it possible for dust to cause this
sort of problem or are there no conductive parts exposed to the dust?

No, it isn't. There is a 99.5% probability of a cracked solder
joint. The other .5% is a damaged connector. If you look closely at
the solder work on the PC boards you will see more than one cracked
joint. the more you beat on the TV, the more damage will occur from the
vibration.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , "blanking" blanking@brain
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Wow, it's become clear real quick who to add to the killfile, sorry to those
who will now see this post because of my reply, rest assured I will add all
further trolls straight to my killfile

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
blanking wrote:

Thanks but I want to give it a go myself, for 2 reasons, the cost of
servicing compared to buying a new similar tv and I am reasonably handy
myself with although limited electronic knowledge. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps.

Very wrong, and a good way to die. see: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Thanks, I should not really have said that as I knew it was not quite right,
all I really knew was that the caps would retain a dangerous voltage after
turn-off and would require discharging, I was laways going to research this
bit before going ahead.

The fact that it responds to a tap on the
top of the tv makes me think it is probably not in the circuit board, it
has
settled down at the moment but the next time it goes haywire I will
trying
tapping different parts of the tv and see if i can narrow things down a
little there before opening it up. Is it possible for dust to cause this
sort of problem or are there no conductive parts exposed to the dust?

No, it isn't. There is a 99.5% probability of a cracked solder
joint. The other .5% is a damaged connector. If you look closely at
the solder work on the PC boards you will see more than one cracked
joint. the more you beat on the TV, the more damage will occur from the
vibration.

Thanks for clearing that up, the advice here has given me a chance of
getting the tv going again, if the problem lies outside the scope of what
has been suggested here I will obviously give it up as I do not have the
technical knowledge of the workings of television.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

blanking wrote:

[...]

When you find the bad joints use only rosin cored solder. Plumbing
(Acid) solder will eat the copper traces off the PC board. I prefer a
mild RMA solder like Ersin Multicore.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Did everyone miss the comment "flickering strips of picture near the top of
the screen"
The guy has a dry joint on the frame output IC!
This could be confirmed by the standby LED flashing a fault code.
Cheers John.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GPE GPE is offline

"Jamie" t wrote in message
blanking wrote:

Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it
would automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many
times I tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the
tv a whack at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most
of the picture would disappear and there would just be flickering strips
of picture near the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some
more whacks it would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be,
could it be as simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the
cathode ray tube, why would a whack help the tube to go again?

It has a Whack detector security option you turned on?

Don't you need to have Cinemax for this?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

blanking wrote:

[...]

Yep, already have resin core solder, thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

blanking wrote:

Yep, already have resin core solder, thanks.

I was just making sure. :-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

blanking wrote:

Yep, already have resin core solder, thanks.

I was just making sure. :-)

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John" wrote in message
Did everyone miss the comment "flickering strips of picture near the top
of
the screen"
The guy has a dry joint on the frame output IC!
This could be confirmed by the standby LED flashing a fault code.
Cheers John.

Thanks John, the standby led does not come on during this fault, also the
picture takes on the shape of an ever decreasing upsidedown trapezoid.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
me me is offline

blanking wrote:

[...]

then pitch it and get rosin core solder...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

blanking wrote:

[...]

Woops, I meant rosin not resin.