Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Billy

Default Neighbor Hitting Hard Balls into Yard w/ Kids

My 40+ year old neighbor decided to get his very own basball pitching
machine and wack balls directly into my yard where my 2 and 4 year olds
play regularly. The machine pitches 50 - 60 mph semi-hard balls. I need
opinions or ideas on how to stop this ignorant person.

The most recent episode occurred when he missed my 2 year old toddler
with a ball by a few feet. I then waited and watched as he continued to
hit the balls into my yard. Then another one came in. I immediately
then notified him that my kids are playing in my yard (he has four
yound kids and toddlers of his own) and he said "don't worry, they are
only pop-ups". I then asked questionaly and politely: "How would you
like it if I hit these balls into your yard?". He replied "I wouldn't
care", then invited me to hit a few. What was I to do or say to be a
decent neighbor, so I accepted, also so I could see more closely what
he was doing.

I don't know how to stop a person who is either really or pretending to
be ignorant. He has other options to hit the balls towards the other
side or back of his property. I need to prevent this before something
really serious happens.

I was thinking of continuing to reprimand him (which I believe will not
work if he refuses to acknowledge the problem) or to start hitting hard
golf balls into his yard. Which would you chose? Have you had similar
experiences? Do you have any suggestions to help me?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Jonathan Kamens

It seems to me that you are approaching the problem in a
rather passive aggressive way, where passive aggressiveness is
not called for.

You don't want him hitting baseballs into your hard. You
believe that it is dangerous to your family for him to be
doing so. So you need to tell him, nicely but firmly, "I
think that it is dangerous for you to be hitting baseballs
into my yard. Please stop." If he repeats his assertion
that it isn't dangerous, then explain to him, firmly but
politely, that you understand that that is his opinion, but
you have a different opinion, and since it is your yard and
your job to worry about your family's safety, you would
appreciate it if he would respect it and stop hitting
baseballs into your yard.

If he continues to do it, then give him one final warning,
this time in writing. At this point you really have no choice
but to be firm, even though it is likely to damage your
relationship with your neighbor, since as you said, he's being
uncooperative and putting your family in danger. Even though
he's next door, send it by certified mail so you have proof
that he received it. Something like, "I've previously asked
you verbally not to hit baseballs into my yard, because I
believe that it is dangerous to my family. By continuing to
hit baseballs into my yard, you are trespassing and preventing
me from the quiet enjoyment of my property. If you continue
to hit baseballs into my yard, I will have no choice but to
file a criminal complaint against you for trespassing and to
turn over to the police whatever balls are hit into my yard as
evidence."

Then follow through if he keeps doing it.

He really has no right to be hitting balls into your yard if
you don't want him to. That's the long and short of it, and
you need to make him realize it, especially if he's putting
your family in danger, which it certainly sounds like he is.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"Billy" writes:
I don't know how to stop a person who is either really or pretending to
be ignorant. He has other options to hit the balls towards the other
side or back of his property. I need to prevent this before something
really serious happens.

I was thinking of continuing to reprimand him (which I believe will not
work if he refuses to acknowledge the problem) or to start hitting hard
golf balls into his yard. Which would you chose? Have you had similar
experiences? Do you have any suggestions to help me?

Oy. Idiots suck.

A very inconvenient fence and keeping anything that goes over it, is
your last resort, but hopefully reason can prevail.

Is he married? Perhaps there's an adult with some sense in his
household that can have some influence with him so things don't
escalate further.

Engage his opinion in what color he'd like the fence you're planning
to build. If he inquires why you're building it, cite concern for
your kids safety and see if he doesn't connect the dots. If not give
the half joking half serious tone of "to make it harder for you to get
any of these goddamn baseballs back...hahahahaha! Just kidding.
Or am I." Throw in a maniacal laugh just for grins.

Tread carefully though. Living in close proximity to an idiot who is
provoked up their mind to screw with you for fun seldom ends well.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"Billy" writes:

My 40+ year old neighbor decided to get his very own basball pitching
machine and wack balls directly into my yard where my 2 and 4 year olds
play regularly. The machine pitches 50 - 60 mph semi-hard balls. I need
opinions or ideas on how to stop this ignorant person.

Alternate option if my prior response fails:

Document your correspondence with the neighbor. Send him a certified
letter politely worded. Have documentation of reasonable efforts.
Take some home video of the goings on with an eye toward a civil
jury.

Wait for a ball to hit someone, somebody or something. Sue for
damages and court costs. Repeat as necessary.

If he won't listen to common sense, perhaps money will motivate the
dip****.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bert Hyman

In ups.com "Billy"
wrote:

I don't know how to stop a person who is either really or pretending
to be ignorant.

Well, you apparently never actually asked him to stop.

You might consider trying that.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Posted to misc.consumers.house
D. Gerasimatos

Move into an area with an HOA and then complain to the HOA about it!

Dimitri

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Shaun Eli

Well, keeping the baseballs might be a start. If it costs him two
bucks for every ball he loses into your yard, he might start hitting
them elsewhere.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smart Mind (sm)
Brain Champagne-- now with a free comedy video on the website!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Andrew Koenig

"Billy" wrote in message
ups.com...

I was thinking of continuing to reprimand him (which I believe will not
work if he refuses to acknowledge the problem) or to start hitting hard
golf balls into his yard. Which would you chose? Have you had similar
experiences? Do you have any suggestions to help me?

How about saying something like

You are putting my children at risk by hitting baseballs into my yard.
I will not allow this to continue. If you do not stop immediately, I will
call the police.

Then, if he doesn't stop immediately, call the police. There's got to be a
law against intentionally endangering the lives of children (or of anyone
else, for that matter).

Posted to misc.consumers.house

You have options. It may be worth trying them all.

1. call the cops after having asked him to desist. You MAY be able to
get a restraining order based on reckless endangerment to the kids.

2. Put up a net on the fenceline. Probably 10 foot + poles and net.

3. Find out who he has homeowners insurance with. Then speak to his
insurance company claims department and advise them you intend to claim
on any and all damages resulting from his conduct.

Do not retaliate in kind. You need to keep the high ground if it goes
to court.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

8. Andrew Koenig
Jan 4, 12:16 am
"How about saying something like

You are putting my children at risk by hitting baseballs into my
yard.
I will not allow this to continue. If you do not stop immediately, I
will
call the police.

Then, if he doesn't stop immediately, call the police. There's got to
be a
law against intentionally endangering the lives of children (or of
anyone
else, for that matter). "

This seems like the best advice to me. I also like the ideas of
sending him letters telling him to stop, which documents you put him on
notice. I would send that letter both regular mail and certified with
a return receipt.

And by all means, stop doing this, which is only being a wuss:

"He replied "I wouldn't
care", then invited me to hit a few. What was I to do or say to be a
decent neighbor, so I accepted, also so I could see more closely what
he was doing. "

Hard Drive Replacement: A Few Questions Elle Electronics Repair 7 November 22nd 05 12:06 AM
hard drive repair Ben Galvin Electronics Repair 18 September 29th 05 04:08 PM
flattening yard Steve K Home Repair 7 June 18th 05 10:09 AM
Fat and Useless Kids of Today MilkyWhy Home Repair 14 November 15th 04 04:08 PM
how to tell hard vs. soft maple harrisrd Woodworking 10 September 21st 03 06:25 PM