Posted to sci.electronics.repair
blanking blanking is offline

Default television goes again by hitting the top of it?

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"blanking" (blanking@brain) writes:
Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it
would
automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many times I
tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the tv a
whack
at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most of the
picture
would disappear and there would just be flickering strips of picture near
the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some more whacks it
would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be, could it be as
simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the cathode ray tube,
why
would a whack help the tube to go again?

The picture tube is likely fine, this is a problem far removed from it.

Something is making bad contact, either a connector that is no longer
making contact all times, or a bad solder joint.

Michael

Thanks, leaving solder joints out for the moment where am I best to look for
this, I will trying
tapping different parts of the tv and see if i can narrow things down a
little there before opening it up so you may want to wait till i have done
this before you answer my question, thanks.