Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default television goes again by hitting the top of it?

"blanking" blanking@brain wrote in message
Thanks but I want to give it a go myself, for 2 reasons, the cost of
servicing compared to buying a new similar tv and I am reasonably handy
myself with although limited electronic knowledge. I know there can be
dangerous voltages left in the capacitors after turn off so I presume if I
short the power plug phase and neutral pins to the earth pin I will
discharge any voltage in the caps. The fact that it responds to a tap on
the top of the tv makes me think it is probably not in the circuit board,
it has settled down at the moment but the next time it goes haywire I will
trying tapping different parts of the tv and see if i can narrow things
down a little there before opening it up. Is it possible for dust to cause
this sort of problem or are there no conductive parts exposed to the dust?

It's on one of the boards, guarranteed. When you tap on the top, the
vibration passes through the entire chassis. Pull the back cover off and
poke around with an insulated stick, a wood dowel works pretty well for
this. It shouldn't take long to find the ticklish spot, at which point you
can figure out a way to access the solder side of the board and touch up any
suspect joints. It may take a couple passes but if you can solder and have
some common sense this should be within your ability to repair.