Mark Duncan

Default Help: Drilling through concrete block and hitting resistance!

I'm a rewbie to all this. I need to drill a hole in a brieze block
wall from my kitchen through to my garage, but when I get about 4cm
into the brick, I hit something that I can't get any further through.
I know that I'm nowhere near any piping or cabling (I've tried several
different locations on the wall too), and I can't think what might be
stopping me.

For info, my drill has hammer action and is 500W (I know this may be
slightly und3er-powered for the job). any advice would be gratefully
appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
David

(Frank W) wrote in message ...
On 20 Aug 2003 13:45:01 -0700,
(Mark Duncan)
wrote:

I'm a rewbie to all this. I need to drill a hole in a brieze block
wall from my kitchen through to my garage, but when I get about 4cm
into the brick, I hit something that I can't get any further through.
I know that I'm nowhere near any piping or cabling (I've tried several
different locations on the wall too), and I can't think what might be
stopping me.

For info, my drill has hammer action and is 500W (I know this may be
slightly und3er-powered for the job). any advice would be gratefully
appreciated.

I experienced the same thing once. I can't remember whether I ended up
drilling a bit further over, or whether I just kept pressing hard on
the hammer drill until the hard obstacle eventually yielded. I'd be
inclined to try the latter..

I wouldn't that personally, not without having a fair idea what the
obstruction is... eg the end of a steel-reinforced lintel isn't going
to do the masonry bit or the drill a lot of good!

What exactly is the wall made of? You mention separately 'concrete
block', 'breeze block' and 'brick', which are quite different in
hardness. Your drill should certainly go through breeze block like a
hot knife through butter (and the others should be no problem either).

Is the kitchen wall plastered? Is it possible you've just drilled
through the plaster layer - very soft - and have just hit the solid
brick?

How far apart have your test holes been? Could there be a
steel-reinforced lintel in the wall (eg above/immediately to the side
of a doorway or window?)

Probably a daft question; but you did admit to being a rewbie (sic) -
I take it you are using a suitable masonry bit on the drill?

HTH

David
Andrew McKay

wrote:

I'm a rewbie to all this. I need to drill a hole in a brieze block
wall from my kitchen through to my garage, but when I get about 4cm
into the brick, I hit something that I can't get any further through.
I know that I'm nowhere near any piping or cabling (I've tried several
different locations on the wall too), and I can't think what might be
stopping me.

What I'd be tempted to do in this case would be to drill a small hole
(maybe a couple of small holes - the other can flash some torchlight
in there whilst you are peeking thru the other) in the side of the
window or door frame on that wall, so that you can take a peek at what
is between the cavities at the point where you are drilling.

It is possible that you are trying to drill thru something rather
substantial that won't be easily recognisable from the outside, and
you might seriously regret trying to force the drill through after the
event.

Your 500w drill with masonry bit isn't ideal for the job BTW. As I
recently remarked on this forum, I bought myself an SDS drill recently
and suddenly realised what I'd been missing all these years. I had
been trying to use a 650w drill beforehand, and it just couldn't cut
the mustard as far as hard brick was concerned - SDS just pushed its
way thru no problem.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at
http://www.handymac.co.uk
Simon

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message

Your 500w drill with masonry bit isn't ideal for the job BTW. As I
recently remarked on this forum, I bought myself an SDS drill recently
and suddenly realised what I'd been missing all these years. I had
been trying to use a 650w drill beforehand, and it just couldn't cut
the mustard as far as hard brick was concerned - SDS just pushed its
way thru no problem.

Or use a Cobalt bit in an old 9.6 volt cordless .. i was astounded!!! ... it
went through brick that my hitachi hammer drill was struggling with, like it
was butter!

Niel A. Farrow

In article ,
Simon wrote:

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
.. .

Your 500w drill with masonry bit isn't ideal for the job BTW. As I
recently remarked on this forum, I bought myself an SDS drill recently
and suddenly realised what I'd been missing all these years. I had
been trying to use a 650w drill beforehand, and it just couldn't cut
the mustard as far as hard brick was concerned - SDS just pushed its
way thru no problem.

Or use a Cobalt bit in an old 9.6 volt cordless .. i was astounded!!! ... it
went through brick that my hitachi hammer drill was struggling with, like it
was butter!

If you are drilling close to a door or window you may have hit a metal
lintel or window fixing etc. Once happened to me when drilling a hole for
an ariel wire.
Neil

Mark Duncan

Thanks to everyone for all the useful advice so far. To respond to
various helpful comments in the onbe place:

- I am not drilling near a door or window.

- My test holes are around 20 cm apart, both vertically and
horizontally

- I am using a masonry drill bit that should certainly be up to the
job (sorry, don't have spec to hand at the moment)

- I'm drilling into a brieze block from my garage. On the garage
side, I am about 3-4 feet above ground level. Since my kitchen is
slightly elevated, this should bring me out about 15cm above the
kitchen floor level.

In the same region, there is already a pipe coming thorugh from the
kitchen radiator, so I guess I'm probably looking at a more powerful
drill. Failing that, I might just bite the bullet and get someone in
that knows what they're doing )

Cheers

Mark