Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default television goes again by hitting the top of it?

Hi there, I have a 12 year old sony tv that just suddenly started having
problems, first sign of trouble was that when you turned it on no picture
would come up, that includes osd, and then after about 10 seconds it would
automatically shut down to standby mode again, no matter how many times I
tried it just kept doing this until that is I gave the top of the tv a whack
at which point all was fine again for sometime but then most of the picture
would disappear and there would just be flickering strips of picture near
the top of the screen and then if I did not give it some more whacks it
would turn off again. Any ideas as to what this could be, could it be as
simple as dust or is this the last dying gasps of the cathode ray tube, why
would a whack help the tube to go again?