Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezer Temperature hitting 45 degrees, Auto Defrost Problem?

Hi, I have a GE top-bottom refrigerator, I suspect it's around 10 years
old at most?

Anyways, I noticed once or twice a day, the temperature in the freezer
will go up a lot (I have a thermometer in there). It's usually at
around -10 F to 0 F, but during this time it will go up as high as 45
F, and then come back down. Usually does this for about an hour.

The fridge does the same thing, but to a lesser extent, the warmest
I've seen it get is maybe 42 F, or around there.

So the problem seems to be in the freezer, but is this a problem, or is
this just the way the auto defrost works?

It's a bit unnerving to see the temperature climb to 45 F in the
Freezer, but it doesn't seem to thaw anything out (the ice cream just
gets a tad soft), so maybe it's not a problem, but I wasn't sure if
this was normal or not.

Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, it's normal. Should be about 20 minutes, either three or four
times a day. I agree, it's frieky.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for the response.

So even if the temperature in the freezer is going this high, it won't
keep thawing and refreezing food, thus messing up food quality?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yep, it's normal. Should be about 20 minutes, either three or four
times a day. I agree, it's frieky.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, and just in case my original post was confusing, it is the FREEZER
that is going up as high as 45 degrees. Hence why I'm so concerned.
Fridge, that would not be a big deal, but if the freezer is going up
that high, it just makes me worry something's wrong.
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yep, it's normal. Should be about 20 minutes, either three or four
times a day. I agree, it's frieky.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:43:33 -0500, JimL wrote:

On 20 Aug 2006 14:01:34 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Mine never does that. Where is your thermometer, next to the door
heater?

I have a kenmore whirlpool side by side and the thermometer I use is
sitting on a shelf at the front middle so I can see it every time I
open the door. The defrost heaters are at the back behind a aluminum
panel.
I suppose if I stuck the thermometer against that panel, I would get
readings like yours for a few minutes, twice a day during the defrost
cycle.

But in the front, on the opposite side from the defrost heater, I
never see the temp rise past 15F

The fridge side has no defroster heater so it stays between 37 and 43
degrees.