Posted to sci.electronics.repair
blanking blanking is offline

Default television goes again by hitting the top of it?

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"blanking" blanking@brain wrote in message
I will look into safety measures before working on the inside of the tv
and i certainly will not try working on it with the power turned on.

You pretty much have to work on it with the power turned on, just shut it
off and unplug it before you try to solder anything. Usually there's
enough slack that you can leave the HV anode lead connected to the CRT and
not have to discharge anything. Just give it a few minutes for capacitors
in the power supply to discharge and treat them as charged.

Thanks for the great advice, as you say with this advice and a bit of common
sense I should stand a good chance of fixing it. When it first happened I
just assumed it was a capacitor problem considering it's age and so was just
going to abandon it but when it responded to a tap I thought it might be too
soon to give up on it. The only difficulty at the moment is that the problem
has settled down a lot, so I will have to wait till it gets more flakey as
the act of taking the cover off will probably be enough to get it going
again and at this stage it can keep going for quite sometime before it
flakes out again which makes faultfinding difficult.