Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pk pk is offline

Default "International" capacitors

I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.
Thank you Peter Kluken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4 Apr, 14:15, "pk" wrote:

I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.
Thank you Peter Kluken

sounds kinda like you have the relevant info already.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Unless you are looking for "exact" mechanical replacements which may be next
to impossible and new electrolytic capacitors of the same Uf and voltage
rating will work perfectly and they will probably be much smaller that the
older originals. The values that you mentioned are not that hard to find
but you while the 450 V voltage rating may be common you may have to sub a
22 Uf for the 20 Uf unit and possibly an 82 Uf or even a 100 Uf for the 80
Uf unit.... should not be any kind of a problem with the sub values since
most electrolytics have a fairly wide tolerance rating.
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
- - - - - -

"pk" wrote in message
I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.
Thank you Peter Kluken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk wrote:

I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.

What exactly do you want to know ? The name rings no bells with me. That company
may either have gone bust or merged with another.

Are you one of those clowns who think that PSU caps have to be so authentic as
to come from the same batch lest the sound of the guitar will change ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pk pk is offline

I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?
Thanks Peter.

"pk" schreef in bericht
I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.
Thank you Peter Kluken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pk pk is offline

No Graham, i am not that type of clown.
I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?
Thanks Peter.

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht

pk wrote:

I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.

What exactly do you want to know ? The name rings no bells with me. That
company
may either have gone bust or merged with another.

Are you one of those clowns who think that PSU caps have to be so
authentic as
to come from the same batch lest the sound of the guitar will change ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk wrote:
I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?
Thanks Peter.

This is one of those things audiophools will argue endlessly on. Really
so long as the rating is correct there should be no difference at all
between one capacitor and another. "High Temperature Dynamics" sounds
like meaningless marketing speak.

Have you tried Mallory and Sprague caps yourself? They're well known
brands with a quality product that should perform as well as anything,
I'm curious as to how they sound or "feel" inferior.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 4, 9:15 am, "pk" wrote:
I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.
Thank you Peter Kluken

all capaciters are internationel. they don' make capaceters in the
united states.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5 Apr, 19:56, "pk" wrote:

I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.

Its easy to form these opinions from listening tests, but it doesnt
make it reality. Get a couple people to run a double blind test for
you and you'll not be able to tell which is which.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pk pk is offline

Mallory and Spraque have a more stiffer feel , touch, some runs are
difficult to play, they might be too good?
"James Sweet" schreef in bericht
pk wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk wrote:

I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.

What exactly do you want to know ? The name rings no bells with me. That
company
may either have gone bust or merged with another.

Are you one of those clowns who think that PSU caps have to be so
authentic as
to come from the same batch lest the sound of the guitar will change ?

Graham- Hide quoted text -

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk:
BS ALERT: The electrolytic cap values you mentioned are most likely B
+ Filter Caps and are absolutely not involved in audio stage coupling
functions where someone "may" have a very very small argument
regarding types of caps affecting the objective (not measureable)
sound quality.
Take Sofie's advice and just replace them and no one will know the
difference except you of course.... and you will continue to think
that the sound is not what it should be. This is a mental thing....
get a grip and get over it.
I bet you also believe that your interconnecting cables and speaker
wires have to be bi-radially wound, oxygen free copper, 06 guage with
gold connectors @ $15 per foot.... and on a blind A/B test you could
not tell the difference if someone substitued cheapo cables and wire
on typical length cable runs.
electricitym

On Apr 5, 12:57 pm, "pk" wrote:
No Graham, i am not that type of clown.
I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?
Thanks Peter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk:
I wish I had the "international caps" you are looking for.... I could
make some real money here.

"stiffer feel"
read between the lines...... "snake oil"
electricitym

pk wrote:
I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and
feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I
dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high
temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?
Thanks Peter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk wrote:
Mallory and Spraque have a more stiffer feel , touch, some runs are
difficult to play, they might be too good?

Huh? The whole point of a filter capacitor is to "stiffen" the power
supply, filtering out the ripple. If you want a less effective
capacitor, put a resistor in series with it. I think the difference is
all mental though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk wrote:

I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?

In order for there to be a difference, audible or otherwise, you'd have to
provide a meaningful explanation of why one company's microfarads behave
differently to another company's microfarads !

And *then* additionally why the caps in the power supply would be audible in the
sound. It's not as if they're in the direct signal path !

Have you actually considered measuring their value ? I wouldn't mind betting
that the caps you're saying sound better have actually dried out and their value
is a fraction of the value printed on the can. That *would* affect the
amplifier's dynamics. You could mimic that effect by using new caps of lower
value than original.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk wrote:

No Graham, i am not that type of clown.
I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.

I suggest you address yourself to the issue of this 'better sound and feel' and
what exactly you mean by it.

I'd almost put money on those International caps being a fraction of their
original value. This is what happens to electrolytics over time. By replacing
them you're restoring the amplifier to original condition and you no longer like
that sound.

I can assure you that 'back in the days' when your amp was designed, no-one
believed in capacitors having any special sonic effects so you can be sure they
weren't chosen for that reason.

Do you have a capacitance meter ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

pk wrote:
I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?
Thanks Peter.

This is one of those things audiophools will argue endlessly on. Really
so long as the rating is correct there should be no difference at all
between one capacitor and another. "High Temperature Dynamics" sounds
like meaningless marketing speak.

Have you tried Mallory and Sprague caps yourself? They're well known
brands with a quality product that should perform as well as anything,
I'm curious as to how they sound or "feel" inferior.

I'll bet you that the original caps have lost value through ageing.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

pk wrote:

Mallory and Spraque have a more stiffer feel , touch, some runs are
difficult to play, they might be too good?

Now you've proven yourself to be barking mad. Do please explain how the
capacitors make it difficult to play !

Look, have a good night's sleep and start again.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

I just discovered those old Bulgin plugs and sockets used on Marshall Amps and
the like sell for up to £20 ea !

Now you tell me!

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pk pk is offline

Thank you for your reaction,I understand your reply.I am not into fancy
hi-fi gear, that won t work for a Fender guitaramp
I have been an professional jazz and latinplayer over the past 30 years,
playing virtuoso.
I simply can play more easy with those( international) more modern?)
capacitors than with the Atom Spragues and old Mallory s,
The sound respond(projection) is better too.
Peter.
schreef in bericht
ups.com...

On Apr 5, 12:57 pm, "pk" wrote:
No Graham, i am not that type of clown.
I asked this question because the International caps perform, sound and
feel
much better than Mallory and Sprague Atom in a Fender Blackface Twin, I
dont
know why.
Printed on the caps : HTD : High Temperature Dynamics( for high
temperature)
Could this affect the feel and sound in a Fender Twin amp?
Thanks Peter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pk pk is offline

Thanks Graham , I will try the lower values.
"Eeyore" schreef in bericht

pk wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pk pk is offline

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Brittany Martin wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:15 am, "pk" wrote:
I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.
Thank you Peter Kluken

all capaciters are internationel. they don' make capaceters in the
united states.

It was a brand name of imported repair parts from Japanese and other
countries sold in the US in the '60s and '70s. Tubes, capacitors,
resistors and i think they had some connectors in their product line.
They were about half the price of American made parts and some shops
used as much of their stuff as they could to maximize their profits.
Other shops stuck to American made parts, or OEM for repairs.

Yes, America still makes capacitors, but only the higher grades for
industrial and military applications.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Have you actually considered measuring their value ? I wouldn't mind betting
that the caps you're saying sound better have actually dried out and their value
is a fraction of the value printed on the can. That *would* affect the
amplifier's dynamics. You could mimic that effect by using new caps of lower
value than original.

The capacitance value usually stays pretty close, what happens is the
ESR increases, so a smaller value cap won't do it, but a resistor in
series will.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

Have you actually considered measuring their value ? I wouldn't mind betting
that the caps you're saying sound better have actually dried out and their value
is a fraction of the value printed on the can. That *would* affect the
amplifier's dynamics. You could mimic that effect by using new caps of lower
value than original.

The capacitance value usually stays pretty close, what happens is the
ESR increases, so a smaller value cap won't do it, but a resistor in
series will.

The capacitance may decrease too.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 4, 6:15 am, "pk" wrote:
I am looking for International capacitors info,
On the cap is written: Japan, International, C.
They might be vintage
They came with a Fenter amp from the USA
80 Uf 450 volts
20 Uf 450 volts
I have pics of them.
Thank you Peter Kluken

It doesn't matter who made the capacitor, all capacitors do one thing,
that is capacit.

You are a ****ing moron.

I hope you are found dead on Christmas morning down a chimney dressed
up as Santa.