Michael Kennedy

Default Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers

I have a 1987 27" Sylvania tv and it had some cold solder joints which I
fixed. It works great except the picture gets slightly brighter and dimmer.
Could this be caused by the wire going from the flyback to the cathode? When
I first put it back togeather I could hear it arcing a little like the
suction cup wasn't all of the way down. It doesn't make a arcing noise
anymore.

The model number of the tv is RNH4601 WA01
The Chasis model # is 26B1-06AA
Manufacture date October 1987

- Mike

Just Another Theremin Fan

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Could this be caused by the wire going from the flyback to the cathode?

The "Flyback to cathode wire"!? Jeez.....

No it is caused by the brightness to darkness tube failing.

Michael Kennedy

Sorry. I couldn't remember what it is called. EXCUSE ME for not beign an
expert I don't do this for a job.

I was talking about the HV wire going to the CRT. (cathode ray tube) I
describet quite well what I was talking about. The wire does run from the
flyback to the Cathode (CRT)...
"Just Another Theremin Fan"
wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Could this be caused by the wire going from the flyback to the cathode?

The "Flyback to cathode wire"!? Jeez.....

No it is caused by the brightness to darkness tube failing.

Ken Weitzel

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Sorry. I couldn't remember what it is called. EXCUSE ME for not beign an
expert I don't do this for a job.

I was talking about the HV wire going to the CRT. (cathode ray tube) I
describet quite well what I was talking about. The wire does run from the
flyback to the Cathode (CRT)...

Hi...

Just so this doesn't happen again, AND so I can lecture you just a
tiny bit...

Yep, CRT is cathode ray tube. The cathode is one of the elements in
a cathode ray tube. (cathode ray = a ray [stream?] of electrons flying
off a heated cathode)

All of the connections to a cathode ray tube save one are connected via
the neck of the tube.

The one exception is the one you speak of, most generally recognized
as the second anode.

Hope that helps, now here's the lecture

Seeing you admitted to "not doing this for a job" - that connection
is lethal. It's lethal whether turned on or turned off, whether plugged
into the wall socket or not. It's even lethal after being discharged
and sitting for a short while (or a long while)

Be careful of it!!!!

Take care.

Ken

Asimov

"Michael Kennedy" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Oct 05 23:52:12)
--- on the heady topic of "Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers"

MK From: "Michael Kennedy"
MK Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344333

MK I have a 1987 27" Sylvania tv and it had some cold solder joints which
MK I fixed. It works great except the picture gets slightly brighter and
MK dimmer. Could this be caused by the wire going from the flyback to the
MK cathode? When I first put it back togeather I could hear it arcing a
MK little like the suction cup wasn't all of the way down. It doesn't
MK make a arcing noise anymore.

MK The model number of the tv is RNH4601 WA01
MK The Chasis model # is 26B1-06AA
MK Manufacture date October 1987

Mike,

It could be the flyback assembly alright. The flickering might be the
the g2 voltage jumping around. If you smell something like burnt toast
around that area then the flyback *is* toast. Otherwise it may be a
video problem.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... :) What does that wire do? =8Q (oh!)

Michael Kennedy

I know about how the tube can possibley charge its self back up even after
you discharge it. I usually keep a ground wire clipped on it when working on
a tv. Thanks I just couldn't remember the word anode.

- Mike
"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Michael Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Just Another Theremin Fan

Seeing you admitted to "not doing this for a job" - that connection
is lethal.

That's what I was implying. The guy really shouldn't be messing with
it.

I dread to think what these people do "for a job" and if they have the
same attitude to their work as they do with dealing with electrical
equipment.

Michael Kennedy

I'm a college student and I am a computer tech and I do my job quite well.
I'm sure there was a time when you didn't know everything there is to know.
I'm the first to admit I don't know everything. No one does! I actually just
forgot the name since I rarely work on Televisions. I'm still learning but I
do know to discharge all of the large caps and the anode before you start
working on a tv and to keep a ground wire attached to the anode while
working on a tv.

I am very careful with electricity. I have been working with electricity all
of my life and I used to work as an elctrician. I try to never work on
anything hot if possible.

I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

I dread to think what these people do "for a job" and if they have the
same attitude to their work as they do with dealing with electrical
equipment.

Just Another Theremin Fan

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I'm a college student and I am a computer tech and I do my job quite well.

But you don't know a cathode from an anode? Gee that's some college you
go to!
There's multiple choice education for you.... How do you manage to get
positive and negative the right way around?

I am very careful with electricity. I have been working with electricity all
of my life and I used to work as an elctrician.

Have you heard Kevin Bloody Wilsons song about electricians?

I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

But you are.... You are......

FFS don't ever take up working with gas supplies.....

Tom MacIntyre

On 7 Oct 2005 12:31:33 -0700, "Just Another Theremin Fan"
wrote:

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I'm a college student and I am a computer tech and I do my job quite well.

But you don't know a cathode from an anode? Gee that's some college you
go to!
There's multiple choice education for you.... How do you manage to get
positive and negative the right way around?

I am very careful with electricity. I have been working with electricity all
of my life and I used to work as an elctrician.

Have you heard Kevin Bloody Wilsons song about electricians?

Hmmm...a licenced electrician once told me, emphatically, that, no
matter whether the ground on the plug was on the top or bottom, it
didn't affect which side the white and black wires were attached to...
:-(

Tom

I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

But you are.... You are......

FFS don't ever take up working with gas supplies.....

Michael Kennedy

What did I do to you? I came here to ask for help and all i get is FLAMES!
Geez.
And then to call me an Idiot, you don't even know me. Like I said I don't
know everything there is to know and I'm trying to learn, but from what I
can see nobody wants to help out anyone in this group..

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I'm a college student and I am a computer tech and I do my job quite
well.

But you don't know a cathode from an anode? Gee that's some college you
go to!
There's multiple choice education for you.... How do you manage to get
positive and negative the right way around?

I am very careful with electricity. I have been working with electricity
all
of my life and I used to work as an elctrician.

Have you heard Kevin Bloody Wilsons song about electricians?

I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

But you are.... You are......

FFS don't ever take up working with gas supplies.....

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:57:17 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

Thats sad.

Not to mention scary...

Tom

.. .
wrote:

Michael Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Tom MacIntyre

wrote:

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I'm a college student and I am a computer tech and I do my job quite well.

But you don't know a cathode from an anode? Gee that's some college you
go to!
There's multiple choice education for you.... How do you manage to get
positive and negative the right way around?

This has gone a bit far...if he isn't in college to study electronics,
whay would you expect him to remember a word related to it? Even Ben
Franklin got positive and negative wrong, and it's been a source of
confusion for electronics education ever since. His explanation for
his use of the word "cathode" was reasonable.

I know we all care about safety and liability here, but this guy has
already passed my test. Model and chassis number, plus the month of
manufacture, shows he "knows the drill".

Michael...what test equipment do you have? There are a number of
things that could cause what you have described (weak capacitors being
right up there, given its age). Have you done any measurements? A 1987
TV, it's likely an Admiral chassis, I think (?).

Tom

I am very careful with electricity. I have been working with electricity all
of my life and I used to work as an elctrician.

Have you heard Kevin Bloody Wilsons song about electricians?

I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

But you are.... You are......

FFS don't ever take up working with gas supplies.....

Just Another Theremin Fan

Hmmm...a licenced electrician once told me, emphatically, that, no
matter whether the ground on the plug was on the top or bottom, it
didn't affect which side the white and black wires were attached to...

FFS don't ever take up working with gas supplies.....

LOL I understand that a few years ago in London that one of these
college educated "electricians" wired up two of the stars of a 3 phase
supply feeding the lift system to the domestic supply in an 18 storey
block of flats!

Smoke could be seen for miles around!

Just Another Theremin Fan

Michael Kennedy wrote:
What did I do to you? I came here to ask for help and all i get is FLAMES!
Geez.
And then to call me an Idiot, you don't even know me. Like I said I don't
know everything there is to know and I'm trying to learn, but from what I
can see nobody wants to help out anyone in this group..

Bet any money you like that by this time next week you will know the
difference between an anode and a cathode. How's that for help? ;-)

Just Another Theremin Fan

it's been a source of
confusion for electronics education ever since. His explanation for
his use of the word "cathode" was reasonable.

No it wasn't but I do appreciate your "which way does electricity flow"
point Tom.

It is a very old and basic argument which after a lifetime of
electronics, I can never answer but an anode is still connected to the
electron surplus.

Dave

Tom MacIntyre

On 7 Oct 2005 13:43:03 -0700, "Just Another Theremin Fan"
wrote:

it's been a source of
confusion for electronics education ever since. His explanation for
his use of the word "cathode" was reasonable.

No it wasn't but I do appreciate your "which way does electricity flow"
point Tom.

It is a very old and basic argument which after a lifetime of
electronics, I can never answer but an anode is still connected to the
electron surplus.

Dave

Just to add to this discussion...I always used the word "pancreas" to
help me remember...PositiveAnodeNegativeCathodeREAS.

We apparently agree to disagree...about Michael, but not about which
way the electrons flow.

Tom
Just Another Theremin Fan

We apparently agree to disagree...about Michael, but not about which
way the electrons flow.

Tom

I wonder how these kids would have got on playing with EHT pumped
straight out of a 50 Hz mains tranformer at several mA?

Loads of fun!

sofie

Michael:
Allow me, a long standing contributor to this newsgroup, to apologize for
the undeserved flames that you received as a result of your sincere posting.
I would hope that in the future that you would continue to come to this
newsgroup with your questions. In addition, you can go to the website for
this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
there, with some searching, you will find a wealth of technical and
troubleshooting information along with some very IMPORTANT safety
information.
I trust that you will feel free to post here again. No matter where you go
you will always find disagreeable responses and inappropriate attitudes....
it is up to you to disregard them.
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair

snipped:
"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
What did I do to you? I came here to ask for help and all i get is FLAMES!
Geez.
And then to call me an Idiot, you don't even know me. Like I said I don't
know everything there is to know and I'm trying to learn, but from what I
can see nobody wants to help out anyone in this group..

"Just Another Theremin Fan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Geeze man.... lighten up. The OP doesn't claim to be an expert; sure,
he doesn't get all the teminology right (and you knew that he was
really talking about the anode wire); he came here for some help and
all you are giving him is a load of crap and insults. Feel free to
warn him about the dangers of working on a television but you don't
have to FLAME his ass just because he is not quite the expert you want
everyone to think that you are.
electricitym
..
..
..

Michael Kennedy wrote:
I'm a college student and I am a computer tech and I do my job quite well.

But you don't know a cathode from an anode? Gee that's some college you
go to!

I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

But you are.... You are......

Michael Kennedy

Well I havn't done any measurements since I'm still using it right now. I
had actually thought about it being some bad caps in the power supply but I
don't have a cap tester. All i have is a DMM and an old heathkit
oscillisocpe from the 1970's. It doesn't have transistors it has tubes. It
also needs some good probes.

-Mike

wrote:

Michael Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Plague Boy

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Could this be caused by the wire going from the flyback to the cathode?

The "Flyback to cathode wire"!? Jeez.....

No it is caused by the brightness to darkness tube failing.

Oh, yeah... I still have a few "1B2D" tubes here
somewhere.....with the stock of "color tubes" that are
always bad in the sets at garage sales.

--
PB
"Fresh windows units enter the internet backwards, bent
Asimov

"Just Another Theremin Fan" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Oct 05 12:31:33)
--- on the heady topic of " Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers"

JATF From: "Just Another Theremin Fan"
JATF Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344391

JATF Michael Kennedy wrote:
I hate how you just insult me like I am an idiot.

JATF But you are.... You are......

Please, be kind to the neubies. If you can't contribute anything
constructive then don't get involved in the discussion, thank you.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Wasted power is current squared times the resistance.

Just Another Theremin Fan

If you can't contribute anything
constructive then don't get involved in the discussion,

So far I have taught the guy the difference betweent an anode and a
cathode. That there is some contention about the direction of electron
flow
and that as far has basic safety goes he has much to learn.

I'd call that a valuable contribution. Now what did *YOU* contribute to
the thread?

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:52:12 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

I have a 1987 27" Sylvania tv and it had some cold solder joints which I
fixed. It works great except the picture gets slightly brighter and dimmer.
Could this be caused by the wire going from the flyback to the cathode? When
I first put it back togeather I could hear it arcing a little like the
suction cup wasn't all of the way down. It doesn't make a arcing noise
anymore.

The model number of the tv is RNH4601 WA01
The Chasis model # is 26B1-06AA
Manufacture date October 1987

- Mike

I guess there's a new standard here...when I first started here a
number of years back, this post would've been just about what we
wanted...when did the rules change, and who changed them? This guy has
undeservedly been drawn through the wringer, and it isn't right. You
know who you are...

Tom
Just Another Theremin Fan

Tom MacIntyre wrote:
when did the rules change, and who changed them? This guy has
undeservedly been drawn through the wringer, and it isn't right.

What "rules"? Can you point me to them? All I did was try and give an
opinion to a problem a guy was having and help him along the way bu
suggesting that he first of all knew the names of the (lethal) parts he
was dabbling with.

Michael Kennedy

I hate to fuel you with more crap but before I ever even opened a tv up I
read up all of the safety info there was to read on the
sci.electronics.reparir FAQ about TVs and HV equipment. That has been about
a year or so ago and sorry I'm not good with names.

- Mike

"Just Another Theremin Fan" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you can't contribute anything
constructive then don't get involved in the discussion,

So far I have taught the guy the difference betweent an anode and a
cathode. That there is some contention about the direction of electron
flow
and that as far has basic safety goes he has much to learn.

I'd call that a valuable contribution. Now what did *YOU* contribute to
the thread?

Yea.... we ALL saw your contribution all right.
Maybe you should consider going over to a different newsgroup and spend
your time there, maybe alt.insults.various or
alt.arrogant.attitudes
electricitym

Just Another Theremin Fan wrote:
If you can't contribute anything
constructive then don't get involved in the discussion,

So far I have taught the guy the difference betweent an anode and a
cathode. That there is some contention about the direction of electron
flow
and that as far has basic safety goes he has much to learn.

I'd call that a valuable contribution. Now what did *YOU* contribute to
the thread?

If you have childred I hope that you don't "instruct" them with insults
and belittling like you have done with your postings.... maybe that is
the way yow were "instructed" ..... you igonorant and arrogant
idiot.... get it right, you fool.
electricitym

Asimov

"Just Another Theremin Fan" bravely wrote to "All" (08 Oct 05 05:42:31)
--- on the heady topic of " Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers"

JATF From: "Just Another Theremin Fan"
JATF Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344446

If you can't contribute anything

JATF So far I have taught the guy the difference betweent an anode and a
JATF cathode. That there is some contention about the direction of electron
JATF flow
JATF and that as far has basic safety goes he has much to learn.

JATF I'd call that a valuable contribution. Now what did *YOU* contribute
JATF to the thread?

You may have come late to the discussion as I had already offered some
practical advice early on but I'm probably hopelessly patronizing. ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Ken Weitzel

Asimov wrote:
"Just Another Theremin Fan" bravely wrote to "All" (08 Oct 05 05:42:31)
--- on the heady topic of " Sylvania 27" tv Brightness Flickers"

JATF From: "Just Another Theremin Fan"
JATF Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344446

If you can't contribute anything

JATF So far I have taught the guy the difference betweent an anode and a
JATF cathode. That there is some contention about the direction of electron
JATF flow
JATF and that as far has basic safety goes he has much to learn.

JATF I'd call that a valuable contribution. Now what did *YOU* contribute
JATF to the thread?

You may have come late to the discussion as I had already offered some
practical advice early on but I'm probably hopelessly patronizing. ;-)

Hi...

And I thought I told Michael that the cathode was actually an element
of the cathode ray tube (hence the name) too... he replied nicely,
anyway

Now just hoping that he hasn't left us as a result of all this, and that
we can put it all behind us and carry on

Take care.

Ken

Michael Kennedy

Now just hoping that he hasn't left us as a result of all this, and that
we can put it all behind us and carry on

Nah. I'm still here. I just havn't torn my tv back apart yet I'll
probably get around to it later this week and order a lot of caps.
I've been visiting this newsgroup for a couple of years on and off. My
overall my expirences have been good but you always get the occasional
flamer. I tried not to get too mad with the flamer becuase arguments
escilate fast on newsgroups as we can all see and they never accomplish
anything.

And to think all of this started because I forgot the name of the anode and
I didn't bother to look it up.. I knew I gave the wrong name in the
beginning but I figured the description was clear enough. I actually
expected a post or two of critisim telling me it was the wrong name but not
an entire thread.

- Mike