James

Default Sylvania 27" TV, Decent Buy?

Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S, being
sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania for
$254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube was
the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know
that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to
last?

Thanks,
James

The brutal truth. Anything past the warranty is a gamble.
They are cheaply made, with the cheapest parts, and the cheapest labor.

TCS

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:23:02 -0400, James wrote:
Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S, being
sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania for
$254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube was
the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know
that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to
last?

How far back are you thinking? Sylvania today has absolutely nothing in common
with the sylvania of the 70's or 80's other than the name.

In any case, they're OK tv's. If it breaks, toss it in the trash.
JANA

The set you are looking at is one of the poorest quality on the market
today, if you are looking for any type of quality. These sets usually barely
make it past their warranty period, and they are generally not serviceable.

Don't compare the Sylvania sets from before the mid 70's to the ones of
today. The Sylvania company is not the same company that it was back then.
The name has been sold from the US owners to a foreign manufacture, and is
of not the same engineering, or quality level.

If you want a good quality set, you should be looking at Panasonic, Sony,
Hitachi, and others along that line. You will get what you pay for.

--

JANA
_____

"James" wrote in message
Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S, being
sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania for
$254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube was
the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know
that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to
last?

Thanks,
James

James

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses!

I didn't expect the same quality as a Sony Trinitron, just a good basic TV
that would last a good while. Is there a better 27" TV for under $200(US)?
How about RCA or Sanyo?

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks,
James

"James" wrote in message
Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S, being
sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania for
$254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube was
the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know
that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to
last?

Thanks,
James

JANA

You are going from one crap to another. The Sanyo would be a bit better than
the RCA, even though they are both low end. RCA and GE for TV and for home
type electronics is one of the worse of them all.

As for major house-hold appliances, such as stoves and refridgerators, GE
and RCA are different than from their other types of products.

--

JANA
_____

"James" wrote in message
Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S, being
sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania for
$254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube was
the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know
that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to
last?

Thanks,
James

CRaSH

James wrote:
under $200(US)? How about RCA or Sanyo?

RCA/GE name for home entertainment was sold to Thompson (french) a decade
ago, and isn't your "father's RCA" anymore......

James wrote:

I didn't expect the same quality as a Sony Trinitron, just a good

basic TV
that would last a good while. Is there a better 27" TV for under

$200(US)?
How about RCA or Sanyo?

I don't know if a 27" Sanyo is under $200, but the brand is decent, and
many Sanyo models sold by Wal-mart include a 1-year store exchange
warranty.

RCA/GE consumer electronics used to be American, then it was sold to
Thomson, a French company, and last year Thomson sold it to TCL, a
Chinese company.

James

Update:

I ended up purchasing a 32" Sanyo Television at Wal-Mart on a special for
$247 instead of the Sylvania model. Haven't had time to use it very much,
but the build quality seems to be very good and I'm happy with the picture
quality. From what I have read, Sanyo has long been an underrated brand, and
that their build quality and reliability is actually much better than better
known "name" brands.

In addition, I was pleased to see that it is manufactured in the USA and has
a one (1) year Wal-Mart exchange warranty. I don't think you can beat this
for the price/features!

-James

"James" wrote in message
Hello Folks,

Can anyone comment on the Sylvania 27" Television, model# SST4274S,

being
sold at Sams Club for $164.87? I have also looked at the 32" Sylvania

for
$254.88, which looks like the exact same model but with a bigger screen.

It's my understanding that years ago a television with a Sylvania tube

was
the thing to have. That being said, after doing some research I now know
that they are part of Funai Corp.

Is the quality still decent for a basic tv? How long can I expect it to
last?

Thanks,
James

Decent woodworking shop in NJ Andy Jeffries Woodworking 5 January 11th 05 12:26 AM
Sylvania TV Antenna/Video selection Stan Electronics Repair 4 December 7th 04 04:10 AM
Decent angle grinders... Alan UK diy 6 August 12th 04 07:02 PM
Sylvania TV model 6427CTA chuck Electronics Repair 0 July 5th 04 03:12 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM