Andy Jeffries

Default Decent woodworking shop in NJ

Hi all,

I'm coming over to New Jersey, USA in February and would like to have a
nose in a woodworking store (we call them shops in the UK, but that may
confuse the thought with someone's workshop).

Are there any decent places near Weehawken, NJ? I'm after a couple of
handscrews for definite, but that sort of place. I'd rather avoid the
equivalent of B&Q and Homebase (i.e. consumer places) and go somewhere
that sells decent stuff...

Just more for a nose around really...

Cheers,

Andy

Hmmm. Weehawken is not really the center of the woodworking universe,
but there's a few places you might want to visit if you are willing to
drive a bit, most not exclusively woodworking store type places, but
more tool supply houses - thats all there really is in New Jersey.
Force and AW Meyer are more in the power tool suppy business and don't
really have a deep inventory of high quality hand tools, although I
have purchased many things from both and they certainly have
handscrews. Both have full showrooms of all sorts of powertools and
you could spend an hour or two just poking around and playing with
tablesaws, lathes and shapers. Garrett Wade has a catalog operation,
but also has a small showroom which I spend an hour or so in every
summer when I am in the city, its at 161 Avenue of the Americas in
Manhattan, not all that far from Weehawkin by ferry and some public
transportation. They don't really advertise their showroom, and its
located in a non-descript building - ask the doorman how to find it
inside the building as there are no signs, but if you're in the area
its worth the trip. As you can see from their website, its more of
what you have in mind and they do carry some higher end handtools.
Finally, Woodcraft, which is a franchise of retail stores as well as a
catalog operation, recently opened a store in Allentown, Pennsylvania,
which is about a 2 hour drive from Weehawkin, straight west on
Interstate 78, directions can be had by navigating the website. It,
too, is more what you have in mind as you can see from their website.
Its a bit of a drive, but on a nice day you can see some of the
countryside on the way. See the links below. Bring your money, as the
exchange rate is in your favor nowadays. Good luck.

Mutt.

http://www.forcemachinery.com/
http://www.awmeyer.com/
http://www.garrettwade.com/
http://www.woodcraft.com/

Ken Johnsen

Also in Norwalk CT (about 45 mins, not during rush hour) is Woodwrokers
Warehouse, an affilliate of Woodcraft, not as large a selection but also has
a workshop where you can rent workshop time.

Ken

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ray

Thanks! Force Machinery is about 15 minutes from me and I never heard
of it. I didn't think there were any such places in NJ.

Ray

I thought WW warehouse was out of business...
http://www.woodworkerswarehouse.com

Ken Johnsen

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought WW warehouse was out of business...
http://www.woodworkerswarehouse.com

They are.

I meant Woodworkers Club, affiliated with Woodcraft

FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
*** Rec.Woodworking Mini-FAQ *** 145, Now with less transfat! David F. Eisan Woodworking 0 January 22nd 04 12:35 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
*** Rec.Woodorking Mini-FAQ *** 128 (w/How to Filter!) David F. Eisan Woodworking 0 September 11th 03 01:03 PM
*** Rec.Woodworking Mini-FAQ *** 126 (w/Filter info!) David F. Eisan Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 01:12 PM