Bob Penoyer

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:36:54 -0400, "Tam/WB2TT"
wrote:

snip

Yes. DC by definition is zero frequency.

Um, no. DC is Direct Current, i.e., current that flows in one
direction. For example, the output from a rectifier is DC but it
certainly isn't "zero frequency."

The output of a rectifier contains both AC and DC. You put a filter on it to
get close to pure DC.

A rectified AC waveform contains DC and AC components but if the
current isn't changing direction, it isn't alternating current. And,
if it isn't AC, it's DC.
Don Kelly

You have a 10V Dc ssignal with a superimposed 5V p-p signal.
The load's impedance to DC is determined by the load's DC resistance (steady
state )
The load's impedance to AC will be determined by its R (ac not Dc) ,L,C
combination (steady state)
The two are different and independent values.

--
Don Kelly

remove the urine to answer
wrote in message
ups.com...
2 questions about a fully DC Sine Wave....let's suppose you have a DC
Sine wave which varies from +5V to +15V peak-to-peak going into a load
with R, L, and C components.....

Question #1:
Is the load's impedance a function of R, L, and C (and wave frequency)
or is it simply just R (i.e. Z=R)? In other words does non-resistive
impedance (L + C) really only matter with an AC signal OR anytime
voltage varies periodically (even if it is all DC)?

Question #2:
Would a "regular" negative peak detector ciruit, like shown he

http://www.elektroda.net/cir/index/D...CTOR.htmgative

work for the DC Wave described? Will it output +5V or do negative peak
detectors only work for AC signals?

Thank you.

Michael A. Terrell

Rich The Newsgroup Wacko wrote:

"Since the sky is green, I guess I'll plant some bluegrass, and
paint my house clear."

You truly are an idiot. Bluegrass is growing all over kentucky, and
some gets planted every year. Notr only that, but you can listen to it
on the radio or TV.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
NSM

"Bob Penoyer" wrote in message

A rectified AC waveform contains DC and AC components but if the
current isn't changing direction, it isn't alternating current. And,
if it isn't AC, it's DC.

It's DC with a ripple riding on top of it. With no filtering the ripple runs
down to zero.

Choreboy

NSM wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

2 questions about a fully DC Sine Wave

One answer. Sine waves aren't DC.

I like Jack's terminology. The wave itself isn't DC, but I think "fully
DC" is an acceptable way of describing its location.

AC generators and transformers are usually designed to produce sine
waves with no DC, but sine waves were known long before those inventions.

A wave is a succession of curves. A sine wave is a wave whose
displacement follows the form of a sine. A pure acoustic tone is a sine
wave regardless of ambient pressure. A ripple on a pond is a sine wave
regardless of the water level.

As not all voltage variations are curves, our generic term was
"waveforms". If the plate voltage of an amplifier tube varied from 998
to 1000 volts in the form of a sawtooth, we'd call that two-volt
variation a sawtooth waveform. If it was sinusoidal we'd call it a sine wave.

To call a waveform an AC sine wave implies that there is no DC, but this
thread is the first time I've read the claim that all sine waves are AC
sine waves.
Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:

snip

Yes. DC by definition is zero frequency.

Um, no. DC is Direct Current, i.e., current that flows in one
direction. For example, the output from a rectifier is DC but it
certainly isn't "zero frequency."

Actually, DC from a rectifier *is* "zero frequency", to the
degree that it is DC. Of course until the AC is filtered out,
it has both AC and DC components.

The output of a rectifier contains both AC and DC. You put a filter on it to
get close to pure DC.

That is *precisely* correct. (It just doesn't tell enough of
the story to explain the confusion of this "flows in one
direction" definition of DC.)

A rectified AC waveform contains DC and AC components but if the
current isn't changing direction, it isn't alternating current. And,
if it isn't AC, it's DC.

The output of a rectifier until filtered *does* have both AC and
DC, which actually is another way of saying that yes it *does*
change directions.

What? you say!

The problem is that "direction" only has meaning when measured
in comparison some specific point of reference. If you have
three different reference points, one at the DC level, one at
the peak positive swing and one at the peak negative swing, you
have three very different views of "direction" for current flow:

Reference Direction
Point of flow
========= =====================================

Peak Pos All Negative

DC level Equal cycles of Positive and Negative

Peak Neg All Positive

Obviously the only point of reference you are thinking about is
the Peak Negative swing, and just as clearly that is *not*
appropriate. The correct reference point is necessarily the DC
level, and measured from that point of reference the current is
going to go alternately in each direction.

Bingo, there is your AC.

This is very similar to confusing the negative side of a
rectifer circuit with ground. Rectifiers are most often
grounded on the negative side, but that is absolutely arbitrary.
They can be grounded on the postive side, and with some effort
can have ground at other levels either between those two, or
even beyond either of them.

But rather than look at DC as current going all going in one
direction, and AC as anything else, it is *far* easier to view
it as AC is any current that is changing, and DC is anything
else (i.e., the current is steady).

Technically those definitions are exactly the same, but one
leads to a lot of confusion.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
operator jay

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message

The problem is that "direction" only has meaning when measured
in comparison some specific point of reference. If you have
three different reference points, one at the DC level, one at
the peak positive swing and one at the peak negative swing, you
have three very different views of "direction" for current flow:

Reference Direction
Point of flow
========= =====================================

Peak Pos All Negative

DC level Equal cycles of Positive and Negative

Peak Neg All Positive

I think "zero" is a good reference for current flow, and that the actual
(absolute) direction can be measured. Voltages have the reference issues.

Andy writes:

This type of problem is analyzed using the superposition
theorem..
One source is +10 VDC
The second source is a 10 V pk-pk sine wave.

Just add the two results for the answer, into a common load.
For the DC, allow time for the transient to settle....

If you can use PSPICE, or the equivalent, you can do this
easily , with additional experiments which may improve your
understanding......

Andy

PS It's a shame you have to weed thru all the crap from some
of the posters here who have a lot of time on their hands and
have no tolerance for those who are just learning their craft....

Floyd L. Davidson

"operator jay" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message

The problem is that "direction" only has meaning when measured
in comparison some specific point of reference. If you have
three different reference points, one at the DC level, one at
the peak positive swing and one at the peak negative swing, you
have three very different views of "direction" for current flow:

Reference Direction
Point of flow
========= =====================================

Peak Pos All Negative

DC level Equal cycles of Positive and Negative

Peak Neg All Positive

I think "zero" is a good reference for current flow, and that the actual

Sure... now, can you define "zero"?

(absolute) direction can be measured. Voltages have the reference issues.

E =IR

Since our resistance is fixed, it's the exact same issue, though
perhaps easier to understand, with voltage. (I gave some
consideration as to whether to post that with voltage or current
references, and since "AC" and "DC" use the term "current",
decided to go with current to avoid the easier path to the same
statement you are making.)

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
kinyo

2 questions about a fully DC Sine Wave....let's suppose you have a DC
Sine wave which varies from +5V to +15V peak-to-peak going into a load
with R, L, and C components.....

Question #1:
Is the load's impedance a function of R, L, and C (and wave frequency)
or is it simply just R (i.e. Z=R)? In other words does non-resistive
impedance (L + C) really only matter with an AC signal OR anytime
voltage varies periodically (even if it is all DC)?

Yes, the load impedance is a function R, L, C and frequency. L and C do
matter anytime the voltage varies even on non-periodic wave and even if
the voltage is always positive. On a pure DC voltage (constant,
non-varying), L will represent a short-circuit while C will represent
an open-circuit.

If the R+L+C are all in series, the +5V to +15V sine wave will, during
the transient phase, first charge the capacitor to +10V, then (during
the steady-state phase) the current will start to behave as a normal
sine wave (reversing directions) even if the driving voltage never goes
negative.

Question #2:
Would a "regular" negative peak detector ciruit, like shown he

http://www.elektroda.net/cir/index/D...CTOR.htmgative

work for the DC Wave described? Will it output +5V or do negative peak
detectors only work for AC signals?

The circuit is pretty much unconventional (but sure smart!). No, it
will not output +5V. The circuit is meant to detect only negative
voltages and can only output zero or negative voltage. But I suggest
that your try building it and see what happens. You might just get
lucky.

Thank you.

You're welcome. I hope you now understand that your +5V to +15V voltage
is better called "varying DC". I've never seen an EE book that will say
"DC Sine Wave" for the voltage you described, and rightly so because a
sine wave implies reversing directions.

operator jay

"operator jay" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message

The problem is that "direction" only has meaning when measured
in comparison some specific point of reference. If you have
three different reference points, one at the DC level, one at
the peak positive swing and one at the peak negative swing, you
have three very different views of "direction" for current flow:

Reference Direction
Point of flow
========= =====================================

Peak Pos All Negative

DC level Equal cycles of Positive and Negative

Peak Neg All Positive

I think "zero" is a good reference for current flow, and that the actual

Sure... now, can you define "zero"?

Put an ammeter there and it says zero. That's zero. Electrons bouncing
around in the conductor have an average net displacement, over time, of 0.

(absolute) direction can be measured. Voltages have the reference

issues.

E =IR

Since our resistance is fixed, it's the exact same issue, though
perhaps easier to understand, with voltage. (I gave some
consideration as to whether to post that with voltage or current
references, and since "AC" and "DC" use the term "current",
decided to go with current to avoid the easier path to the same
statement you are making.)

Current is a different issue from voltage because voltage is a relative
quantity. It is a type of measurement of a change in field between two
locations. Current is a rate of flow of charge at a single location (well,
typically, through a single Gaussian surface), and is measurable at that
location, and does not have the ambiguity that voltage has. It does not
need a reference. If I say that my toaster is running at 120V and 8A, you
may ask "120V relative to what" and I'll answer "neutral". You would not
ask "8A relative to what".

NSM

"Choreboy" wrote in message

To call a waveform an AC sine wave implies that there is no DC, but this
thread is the first time I've read the claim that all sine waves are AC
sine waves.

FWIW, most waveforms can be created as the sum of sine waves. I wrote an
interesting computer demo once that showed how a sine and it's harmonics
could be added graphically to form a better and better approximation of a
square wave, running through what looked like Butterworth etc. responses.

NSM

wrote in message
oups.com...

PS It's a shame you have to weed thru all the crap from some
of the posters here who have a lot of time on their hands and
have no tolerance for those who are just learning their craft....

Who do you want operating on your gall bladder? Someone who knows what he is
doing or someone who is making it up as he goes along?

Kitchen Man

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:21:01 -0500, "operator jay"
wrote:

Put an ammeter there and it says zero. That's zero. Electrons bouncing
around in the conductor have an average net displacement, over time, of 0.

"Put and ammeter there" and if it says +300mA to +800mA back and
forth, then it's Alternating Current, innit?

Kitchen Man

On 10 Jun 2005 23:06:10 -0700, wrote:

Again, is the term "DC Sine Wave" problematic because it is
fundametnally wrong

Yes. DC by definition is zero frequency

Nice parse-job.....here's my original entire comment in context:

Again, is the term "DC Sine Wave" problematic because it is
fundametnally wrong OR is it problematic because it is at odds with
conventional terminology and nomenclature

You conveinently left out the "OR...." part.

If we may plunge for a moment into basic boolean logic, the "OR" part
is no longer necessary once one part of the proposition is shown to be
true. Thus, not only was his omission convenient, it was proper.

You actually proved my
point that DC is DEFINED (i.e. by convention) as "zero frequency".
Is it that weird to posit that the superior concept with respect to
considering any signal as AC or DC, be the actual NET current flow? I
could see your point if signals were classified as either "ZF" ("zero
frequency") or "NZF" (non-zero frequency") but we are dealing with "DC"
or "AC"

If nothing else, your stubborn adherence to a flawed terminology and
lack of openness to furthering your understanding will make you look
like an idiot in a job interview, should you ever decide to pursue
career advancement in the electronics industry. Please note that I am
not saying you are an idiot, just that you will look like one in an
interview. The interviewers will assume you know very little about
the basics of the craft if you carry on like this, or at the very
least will see you as a detriment to teamwork. HTH.

--
Al Brennan

"If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9,
then you would have a key to the universe." Nicola Tesla

John Fields

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:30:26 -0700, Kitchen Man
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:33:39 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On 12 Jun 2005 09:01:11 -0700, wrote:

It's a shame you have to weed thru all the crap from some
of the posters here who have a lot of time on their hands and
have no tolerance for those who are just learning their craft....

---
It's a shame that those of us who give of our time in an effort to
edify the ignorant are often abused by imbeciles who can't take
correction gracefully.

It is equally a shame that there are those that are sometimes
incapable of offering correction gracefully, eh, John? If it pains
you so much to engage in your ungracious edifying, perhaps you would
do well to bugger off, and leave the stress of educating imbeciles to
those with more patience.

---
Well, Al, correction (no matter how gently offered) is often met with
varying degrees of resistance, particularly by those who have become
convinced that their way should be temporarily accepted as the 'right'
way, for their convenience, regardless of whether their way conforms
to universally accepted standards.

Case in point, the OP, whose attitude seems to be (and I paraphrase)
"You know what I mean, so why should I have to say it your way?"

As for me, I'm perfectly capable of conducting myself politely in the
presence of polite company. I'm also perfectly capable of atrocious
behavior and have no qualms about stooping to that level if, in my
opinion, the situation warrants it.

Finally, I don't see how you came to the conclusion that it pains me
to engage in the edification of imbeciles. Actually, it's quite
gratifying to be able to take on the challenge of breaking through the
barrier of ignorance and realize that you've shown someone how to use
a tool they didn't even know they owned.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Floyd L. Davidson

"operator jay" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message

The problem is that "direction" only has meaning when measured
in comparison some specific point of reference. If you have
three different reference points, one at the DC level, one at
the peak positive swing and one at the peak negative swing, you
have three very different views of "direction" for current flow:

Reference Direction
Point of flow
========= =====================================

Peak Pos All Negative

DC level Equal cycles of Positive and Negative

Peak Neg All Positive

I think "zero" is a good reference for current flow, and that the actual

Sure... now, can you define "zero"?

Put an ammeter there and it says zero. That's zero. Electrons bouncing
around in the conductor have an average net displacement, over time, of 0.

Is this an AC ammeter, or a DC ammeter? (And isn't that just a voltmeter
anyway, in most actual cases????) Hmmm...

(absolute) direction can be measured. Voltages have the reference

issues.

E =IR

You can't escape the fact that voltage and current are joined at
the hip, they are for all practical purposes different expressions
of the same thing. Whatever affects one *has* to have affected the
other.

Since our resistance is fixed, it's the exact same issue, though
perhaps easier to understand, with voltage. (I gave some
consideration as to whether to post that with voltage or current
references, and since "AC" and "DC" use the term "current",
decided to go with current to avoid the easier path to the same
statement you are making.)

Current is a different issue from voltage because voltage is a relative
quantity.

No more or less than current. They are joined at a hip called
Ohm's Law.

It is a type of measurement of a change in field between two
locations. Current is a rate of flow of charge at a single location (well,
typically, through a single Gaussian surface), and is measurable at that
location, and does not have the ambiguity that voltage has. It does not
need a reference. If I say that my toaster is running at 120V and 8A, you
may ask "120V relative to what" and I'll answer "neutral". You would not
ask "8A relative to what".

8 Amps from where? To where? Through were?

Relative to where?

Since we can discuss current using only voltage as the variable
(resistance being a constant in this example), *anything* you
can say about voltage is directly related to current.

One of the overall things that you *have* to keep in mind is
that periodic reality checks are necessary. One of them is the
fact, repeated by many in this thread, that "DC sine wave" is a
contradiction of terms. If your definition makes it possible,
your definition *can't* be right.

My point still stands, that if the current is changing, it is by
definition AC, and current not changing is DC. Trying to look
at it as DC is all in one direction and anything else is AC,
doesn't work.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Don Lancaster

Bob Penoyer wrote:

A rectified AC waveform contains DC and AC components but if the
current isn't changing direction, it isn't alternating current. And,
if it isn't AC, it's DC.

Total and utter horse****.

"DC" is simply the first (or "offset" term in the Fourier expression of
any repetitive waveform.

"AC" are all of the remaining components.

Changing the relative amplitude of the terms does NOT in any manner
change which is the first term and which are the remaining terms.

DC, of course, cannot exist at all ever. Because it would have to be
unvarying through infinite time.

Tutorials on my website.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com

Floyd L. Davidson

Don Lancaster wrote:

DC, of course, cannot exist at all ever. Because it would have
to be unvarying through infinite time.

Boy, you are *pedantic*!

Can't we just define DC as current that doesn't vary "much"
for at last a "long" time. Granted that is ambiguous, but
what else would we the argue about, weather?

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
operator jay

news
wrote:

Put an ammeter there and it says zero. That's zero. Electrons bouncing
around in the conductor have an average net displacement, over time, of

0.

"Put and ammeter there" and if it says +300mA to +800mA back and
forth, then it's Alternating Current, innit?

It is not changing polarity. I would hesitate to call it alternating
current. On the "dc sine wave" issue, I wouldn't even get into that debate.
To me the terms involved are open to too many interpretations. As evidenced
in this thread, I suppose.

Floyd L. Davidson

Kitchen Man wrote:
It is equally a shame that there are those that are sometimes
incapable of offering correction gracefully, eh, John? If it pains
you so much to engage in your ungracious edifying, perhaps you would
do well to bugger off, and leave the stress of educating imbeciles to
those with more patience.

Is patience required though?

I'm always reminded of a young lady I met once, many years ago
employed by Northern Telecom Inc to provide training on a
mainframe computer program to USAF personnel. This lady showed
up and started teaching the GI's, one at time. She first
latched onto a 16 year Staff Sargent (that suggests he might not
have been too bright). He'd been working with
telecommunications for all 16 of those years and didn't know
that a Class C Autovon line was the kind he could call home on
for free (every Airman figured that out in 6 days).

So, we thought the lady probably ought to be warned. And not
being a GI myself, it was sort of agreed that I'd tell her. We
had not counted on this lady being, ahem... perceptive. Not to
mention independent, ornery, and several other adjectives.

I hinted to her that the Sarge was the worst case example, and
maybe she shouldn't waste too much time on him. She growled at
me, and said something about my head and a dark place, and said
she had "A degree in teaching ****ing idiots."

Apparently patience is not part of the requirement?

Somewhat ruffled at a gal 10 years younger than me getting the
best of me in that way, I decided to get back! There was this
almost friendly young Security Policeman who came by now and
then to check our credentials to be in a secure area. Of course
every SP lives for the day he can "jack up" somebody. So I
suggested we had a really good candidate to play games with! He
figured that was just a great idea, and followed me as I led him
to where he could perform this duty for his country.

But, alas, he came around the corner and this asshole young
lady looked at this asshole young Security Policeman, and he
looked at her... and I saw the look in their eyes and knew all
was lost. It was like in a movie! They locked on, you could
hear the bells ring! You could see them shiver! It was a
*classic* love at first sight! Danged guy spent the next *two*
*hours* talking to her, and they dated the entire time she was
there.

Patience... did teach me something!

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Don Lancaster

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Don Lancaster wrote:

DC, of course, cannot exist at all ever. Because it would have
to be unvarying through infinite time.

Boy, you are *pedantic*!

Can't we just define DC as current that doesn't vary "much"
for at last a "long" time. Granted that is ambiguous, but
what else would we the argue about, weather?

No.

Sum a 1 volt peak sinewave with a 0.6 volt dc term and you have a
waveform whose polarity continuously changes but whose average value is
continuous.

Looking at the Fourier terms makes this waveform perfectly clear.
Calling it "AC" or "DC" does not.

"AC" or "DC" are gross and meaningless oversimplifications.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com

Floyd L. Davidson

Don Lancaster wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Don Lancaster wrote:

DC, of course, cannot exist at all ever. Because it would have
to be unvarying through infinite time.

Boy, you are *pedantic*!
Can't we just define DC as current that doesn't vary "much"
for at last a "long" time. Granted that is ambiguous, but
what else would we the argue about, weather?

No.

Sum a 1 volt peak sinewave with a 0.6 volt dc term and you have
a waveform whose polarity continuously changes but whose average
value is continuous.

Hey, you moved *my* goal post! I said nothing about average
values. If it wiggles, it's AC. The difference is that
you are being so precise that you're saying if it wiggled since
the dawn of time, it's AC. I'm just saying that if it was so
long ago that I can't remember (which seems to be a pretty short
time anymore), that's long enough. :-)

Looking at the Fourier terms makes this waveform perfectly clear.
Calling it "AC" or "DC" does not.

"AC" or "DC" are gross and meaningless oversimplifications.

EXACTLY! And while you and I can make jokes about just how
pedantic we should be with definition of terms, the fact is that
anyone who actually thinks "AC" and "DC" are the determinative
definitions based on word meanings, is going to be wrong.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
John Fields

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:15:06 -0700, Don Lancaster
wrote:

Sum a 1 volt peak sinewave with a 0.6 volt dc term and you have a
waveform whose polarity continuously changes but whose average value is
continuous.

---
No, you have a waveform with a polarity which changes _periodically_,
making it an AC signal. Do the electrons traversing the circuit
change direction? Yes. Do the electrons in a DC circuit ever change
direction? No.

Ergo, because of the periodic polarity reversals what you're looking
at is AC.
---

Looking at the Fourier terms makes this waveform perfectly clear.
Calling it "AC" or "DC" does not.

---
Why go there? Your description was adequate to indicate that polarity
reversals occur, therefore making the signal voltage alternate between
two different polarities, therefore making the current alternate
between polarities as well. That's why it's called "Alternating
Current".
---

"AC" or "DC" are gross and meaningless oversimplifications.

---
Uh-huh...

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
CJT

wrote:

[...]

It's not unusual to speak of the AC and DC _components_ of a
waveform that does not readily satisfy the simplification.

One also speaks of _DC offset_ of an otherwise AC signal.

Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:

Sum a 1 volt peak sinewave with a 0.6 volt dc term and you have a
waveform whose polarity continuously changes but whose average value is
continuous.

---
No, you have a waveform with a polarity which changes _periodically_,
making it an AC signal. Do the electrons traversing the circuit
change direction? Yes. Do the electrons in a DC circuit ever change
direction? No.

Ergo, because of the periodic polarity reversals what you're looking
at is AC.

And, according to what you've said in other posts, if that were a
0.6 volt peak sinewave with 1.0 volt dc, it wouldn't be.

But your definition of AC is faulty, because in fact they are the
same thing, and *both* of them contain an AC component and a DC
component, even if the general direction of electrons is always the
same.

---

Looking at the Fourier terms makes this waveform perfectly clear.
Calling it "AC" or "DC" does not.

---
Why go there? Your description was adequate to indicate that polarity
reversals occur, therefore making the signal voltage alternate between
two different polarities, therefore making the current alternate
between polarities as well. That's why it's called "Alternating
Current".

Except, polarity reversals are not significant to the definition
of AC.

---

"AC" or "DC" are gross and meaningless oversimplifications.

---
Uh-huh...

He's right.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

The Phantom

wrote:

Sum a 1 volt peak sinewave with a 0.6 volt dc term and you have a
waveform whose polarity continuously changes but whose average value is
continuous.

Looking at the Fourier terms makes this waveform perfectly clear.
Calling it "AC" or "DC" does not.

"AC" or "DC" are gross and meaningless oversimplifications.

Didn't you just say in your immediately previous post:
""DC" is simply the first (or "offset" term in the Fourier expression
of
any repetitive waveform.

"AC" are all of the remaining components."
Did you intend to offer these descriptions knowing that they were
"gross and meaningless oversimplifications"? Why bother in that case?

Floyd L. Davidson

"operator jay" wrote:

It is not changing polarity. I would hesitate to call it alternating
current. On the "dc sine wave" issue, I wouldn't even get into that debate.
To me the terms involved are open to too many interpretations. As evidenced
in this thread, I suppose.

Where *do* you get this requirement for changing polarity? We
don't call it "Alternating Polarity", we call it "Alternating
Current". If the current is being altered, it's AC. You keep
talking about AP, and it isn't the same.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Bob Penoyer

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:22:00 -0700, Don Lancaster
wrote:

Bob Penoyer wrote:

A rectified AC waveform contains DC and AC components but if the
current isn't changing direction, it isn't alternating current. And,
if it isn't AC, it's DC.

Total and utter horse****.

Look, if the current's not alternating its direction, it's not
alternating current. To be clear, just because its amplitude is
changing does not mean it is alternating. In particular, a rectified
AC waveform it isn't changing direction.

There are certainly AC components in the waveform. But the sum of all
the components, including the DC component, never changes direction,
so the total signal is a DC signal. Here, "DC" does NOT mean
"constant"; it means unidirectional.
ehsjr

wrote:

Sum a 1 volt peak sinewave with a 0.6 volt dc term and you have a
waveform whose polarity continuously changes but whose average value is
continuous.

---
No, you have a waveform with a polarity which changes _periodically_,
making it an AC signal. Do the electrons traversing the circuit
change direction? Yes. Do the electrons in a DC circuit ever change
direction? No.

So you are saying that DC varying from 5 to 15 as the
op referenced is AC? If you put a DC source across
a capacitor and vary the source up and down, sometimes
electrons are flowing into the capacitor, and sometimes
they are flowing out of it. Same with an inductor.

For the record, I don't want to take one side or another
in the debate about AC vs DC in this thread. The waters
are muddy enough already. I view the op's scenario as
DC with an AC signal imposed on it.

This whole discussion of whether it is AC or DC is
a trap and diversion from the original. It does not
matter whether it is AC or DC that the components
see. For example, a capacitor operates the same on DC
as it does on AC. If there is a path for it to charge,
and a source sufficient to charge it, it charges. If
there is a path for it to discharge, and no source applied
sufficient to keep it charged, it discharges. Same thing
for an inductor below saturation.

The op asked about a sinusoidal varying DC, but gave
no info about frequency. He then asks about impedance
of the (unknown) RLC circuit. The answer has to be
arrived at by a consideration of how each component
reacts. To say (not that you said it) the cap won't pass DC
is crap. Connect a 15 V, 500 ohm relay coil to ground,
and the other side to a 470 uF cap. Connect the other
side of the cap to +12. The relay energizes briefly, proving
that the cap did pass DC. Try the same thing with a
supply that starts at 5 volts and increases to 15 volts
at a rate of 1 cycle per hour, and it does not energize.
But the relay coil DOES charge. For the op to understand
the load impedance, he has to understand what each component
does in his circuit. I see no other way to answer his
question, in the absence of specifics.

Ed

Ergo, because of the periodic polarity reversals what you're looking
at is AC.
---

Looking at the Fourier terms makes this waveform perfectly clear.
Calling it "AC" or "DC" does not.

---
Why go there? Your description was adequate to indicate that polarity
reversals occur, therefore making the signal voltage alternate between
two different polarities, therefore making the current alternate
between polarities as well. That's why it's called "Alternating
Current".
---

"AC" or "DC" are gross and meaningless oversimplifications.

---
Uh-huh...

operator jay

"operator jay" wrote:

It is not changing polarity. I would hesitate to call it alternating
current. On the "dc sine wave" issue, I wouldn't even get into that

debate.
To me the terms involved are open to too many interpretations. As

evidenced
in this thread, I suppose.

Where *do* you get this requirement for changing polarity? We
don't call it "Alternating Polarity", we call it "Alternating
Current". If the current is being altered, it's AC. You keep
talking about AP, and it isn't the same.

You are the one with the requirements, assertions, and definitions, not me.
Where are you coming up with them? If it's from the same place where
- zero current is not definable
- magnitude of current needs an outside reference
- voltage and current are for all practical purposes different expressions
of the same thing
- alter is the same thing as alternate
then I don't even want to know.

You need to come to realize there is no clear cut correct answer on this
'AC' vs 'DC' issue at this time. If there was one, there would be much more
consensus between people on what the correct answer is. This big long
thread would not have occurred. Now let's turn it around and look at it the
other way. This big long thread did occur. We can plainly see that there
is disagreement between groups on what exactly the precise meanings of AC
and DC entail. Therefore there effectively is no single exact definition
for "AC" or for "DC" that will allow us to resolve which is correct and
which is not correct.

Picture my flashlight, battery powered. Generally this is considered a dc
circuit. When I turn it on or off, there is 'change'. So is it in fact an
AC flashlight? If the battery starts to die there is a change so is it in
fact an AC battery? Etcetera. (These questions are rhetorical by the way).
I know better than to try to pin a strict name on these things where there
is not an (adequately) universal and strict definition.

On another note, how long are the days getting to be way up there? Do you
get continuous sunshine?