operator jay

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
"operator jay" wrote:

It is not changing polarity. I would hesitate to call it alternating
current. On the "dc sine wave" issue, I wouldn't even get into that

debate.
To me the terms involved are open to too many interpretations. As

evidenced
in this thread, I suppose.

Where *do* you get this requirement for changing polarity? We
don't call it "Alternating Polarity", we call it "Alternating
Current". If the current is being altered, it's AC. You keep
talking about AP, and it isn't the same.

You are the one with the requirements, assertions, and definitions, not me.
Where are you coming up with them? If it's from the same place where
- zero current is not definable
- magnitude of current needs an outside reference
- voltage and current are for all practical purposes different expressions
of the same thing
- alter is the same thing as alternate
then I don't even want to know.

You need to come to realize there is no clear cut correct answer on this
'AC' vs 'DC' issue at this time. If there was one, there would be much more
consensus between people on what the correct answer is. This big long
thread would not have occurred. Now let's turn it around and look at it the
other way. This big long thread did occur. We can plainly see that there
is disagreement between groups on what exactly the precise meanings of AC
and DC entail. Therefore there effectively is no single exact definition
for "AC" or for "DC" that will allow us to resolve which is correct and
which is not correct.

Picture my flashlight, battery powered. Generally this is considered a dc
circuit. When I turn it on or off, there is 'change'. So is it in fact an
AC flashlight? If the battery starts to die there is a change so is it in
fact an AC battery? Etcetera. (These questions are rhetorical by the way).
I know better than to try to pin a strict name on these things where there
is not an (adequately) universal and strict definition.

On another note, how long are the days getting to be way up there? Do you
get continuous sunshine?