Pig Bladder

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:31:26 -0500, John Fields wrote:

So, you miserable, troublemaking piece of ****, you've decided to take
on John Larkin?

Big mistake.

There's no way you can even begin to think about getting close to his
track record, let alone even get into the stadium, so why don't you
just quit before you embarrass yourself by not even being able to
leave the starting blocks?

Was the topic "Olympic-Grade Trollfeeding?"

John Fields, you won that one by a landslide some time ago.
--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that

Don Kelly

"Kitchen Man" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:49:58 GMT, "daestrom"
wrote:

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
"operator jay" wrote:

It is not changing polarity. I would hesitate to call it alternating
current. On the "dc sine wave" issue, I wouldn't even get into that
debate.
To me the terms involved are open to too many interpretations. As
evidenced
in this thread, I suppose.

Where *do* you get this requirement for changing polarity? We
don't call it "Alternating Polarity", we call it "Alternating
Current". If the current is being altered, it's AC. You keep
talking about AP, and it isn't the same.

'Alternating' is not the same as 'altering'. "Alternating current" is an
electrical current where the magnitude and *direction* [emphasis added]
varies cyclically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current

One may 'alter' the magnitude of a DC current without it becoming
'alternating current'

The problem with that definition is that it is unnecessarily limiting.
You can find other sources where the definition reads "magnitude *or*
direction," the latter which I believe to be more correct. If the
signal is steady state, then the current that changes magnitude but
never direction is simply an AC signal with a DC component greater in
positive amplitude than the negative peak of the AC component.

--
Al Brennan

"If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9,
then you would have a key to the universe." Nicola Tesla

In any case, what you have to do in analysis is to treat each frequency
separately, including the 0 frequency term.
What's the big deal.??

--
Don Kelly

remove the urine to answer

operator jay

"Don Kelly" wrote in message

In any case, what you have to do in analysis is to treat each frequency
separately, including the 0 frequency term.
What's the big deal.??

Anybody who doesn't like it, feel free to bang out the de's.

Larry Brasfield

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message ...
"Larry Brasfield" wrote:
"Tom MacIntyre" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:01:25 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:21:21 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

The idea that water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C, without
some mention of pressure, has little meaning. Water can "boil"
at 0C too.

Not true, unless 0.01+ oC counts as "0C" or "boil" has
some novel meaning other than a liquid to vapor phase
transition occuring within the liquid due to applied heat.

Since, by your own admission, the boiling and freezing point
temperatures of water are pressure dependent, I invite you to state
what pressure would be required to be exerted on a volume of liquid
water in order to cause it to boil at 0°C.

[Stuff on latent heat zapped.]

I am simply
going by memory of my old Physics classes, and I have no idea what
pressure would be required to allow water to boil at 0 C. I think
other substances have boiled at lower temperatures than that at STP
though.

If you peruse the phase space of water at
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html
you will see that there is no liquid/vapor boundary
at 0 oC. At a range of pressure well below standard
atmospheric, it could happen near 0.01 oC.

John's challenge is a bit of a trick and appears
to show he knows how to read that graph and
accompanying table.

Are you saying that it could happen at 0.01C but not at 0.00C,
because you see something in that chart which says water is liquid
at 0.01C and not at 0.00C?

I said "near 0.01 oC", not "at". At temperatures above
the triple point (at 0.01 oC), a liquid/vapor phase change
exists. Below that, there is no such phase change, so
there is no possibility of boiling, which requires a liquid.
Precisely at the triple point, I'm not sure it is meaningful
to speak of boiling because the triple point exists under
equilibrium conditions and boiling is not an equilibrium.
(Boiling is a catastrophic process.)

I don't see that in the chart at all. The chart does not have
sufficient resolution. It doesn't discuss that in the text
either.

The table of triple points shows, in its first row, that triple
point often referred to as "the triple point". (That is the one
now used to define 0.01 oC on the Centrigrade temperature
scale.) This triple point, between the liquid, Ih (hexagonal
ice-one) and vapor phases, represents the lowest pressure
at which an Ih/liquid phase transition exists, as can be seen
from the graph. It is clear from the graph that the vapor
phase boundary slope is continuous as it passes thru that
triple point, and has positive slope. So, clearly, where it
passes thru 0 oC has to be below that triple point.

Did you mean something else?

Nope.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email:

Ken Taylor

"Rich The Newsgroup Wacko" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:54:45 +0000, ehsjr wrote:
Rich The Philosophizer wrote:
Er..the gospels are the biggest pile of erroneous nonsense one can come
up with. Its all about those imaginary beings, that can do anything, be
everywhere at once, knows everything etc...

Hey! Let's not knock the imaginary!

Where would electronics be today without sqrt(-1)? ;-)

Up the paddle without a creek? ;-}

That's another interesting question - is there really a "hole" in
the donut, or are you buying a hole, with donut around it?

The hole was there first, you know. ;-p
--
Cheers!
Rich

Not in my donut - there was no hole till the donut was made - I was there
and I saw it enter the mixture.

Ken

Winfield Hill

John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The idea that water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C, without
some mention of pressure, has little meaning. Water can "boil"
at 0C too.

Since, by your own admission, the boiling and freezing point
temperatures of water are pressure dependent, I invite you to state
what pressure would be required to be exerted on a volume of liquid
water in order to cause it to boil at 0°C.

The answer of course is: not much.

Hmmm...

Same as the answer to: "What does Floyd L. Davidson know about
anything?".

He appears to be confusing sublimation and evaporation with boiling.

--
Thanks,
- Win
Kitchen Man

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:11:02 -0500, "operator jay"
wrote:

"Don Kelly" wrote in message

In any case, what you have to do in analysis is to treat each frequency
separately, including the 0 frequency term.
What's the big deal.??

Anybody who doesn't like it, feel free to bang out the de's.

Like I said before, Don, the big deal is people with nothing better to
do than start internet arguments, all the while ignoring all the bits
of knowledge that spill out during the course of same. Case in point.

--
Al Brennan

"If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9,
then you would have a key to the universe." Nicola Tesla
Kitchen Man

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:40:01 +1200, "Ken Taylor"
wrote:

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
.uk...
John Fields wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:48:44 GMT, Pig Bladder
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:44:34 -0700, Kitchen Man wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:36:15 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

It
is my belief that the widespread disagreement is due to
participants that just like to argue a lot.

---
No, they don't. ;^)

Look, this isn't an argument, it's just contradiction!

No, it's not! ;^j

---
Yes, it is!^)

No it isnt. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to
establish a proposition...

Sorry, your time's up.......

That was never five minutes!?

--
Al Brennan

"If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9,
then you would have a key to the universe." Nicola Tesla

Rich Grise

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:11:46 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 02:55:51 GMT, the renowned Pig Bladder
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:52:15 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Davidson) wrote:

The idea that water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C, without some
mention of pressure, has little meaning. Water can "boil" at 0C too.

---
Since, by your own admission, the boiling and freezing point
temperatures of water are pressure dependent, I invite you to state
what pressure would be required to be exerted on a volume of liquid
water in order to cause it to boil at 0°C.

Good one, John!

Lame.

Approx. 10^3 Pa.
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html ;^j

Do you happen to know what the triple-point of water is?

No, but there's an awesome graph - did I mention something that I
called "the Annoying Point" - in either another branch here or another
thread that had also degenerated to a virtually amusing point. ;-)
Oh, as a matter of fact, I'm almost sure that it's in another response
to this very John F. x Floyd L.D. ****fest.

Anyways, if you go to the URL above, and just scroll down to below
the first paragraph, which is a page in a teeny tiny monitor; there's
a couple of awesome graphics. There are a whole bunch of points that
could be construed as "The Triple Point", like, at 10^3 Pa - One
kilopascal? at 273ish K, where water can freeze and boil simultaneously.

And if you look up in the "increasing pressure" direction, you'll see a
kind of "crowded" or "busy" area. There's an enlargement of that area -
where the "Triple- Point" _could_ be construed to be that little
blue area labeled "III". But that _couldn't_ be the triple point, because
there's no steam!

So, yeah, I have no idea what the triple-point of water is, other than
that I'd heard where "the three states" all come together.

So, OK - I'm guessing about 273ish K at about one kilopascal. ;-)

(and the "lame" crack came about by your accolade of "Good one, J..."
for merely expressing an invitation to do a web search that took me
all of about four seconds. Sorry, I just didn't think that it was
that great big a deal for a guy to say, "put your money where your
mouth is." I since have, and nobody seems to have noticed that I've
stumbled on a site that tells not only about the ten states of ice,
but also, get this:
---q---
Enthalpy of Vaporization [61]
45.054 kJ mol-1 (0°C), 40.657 kJ mol-1 (100°C)

Enthalpy of Fusion
6.0095 kJ mol-1 (0°C, 101.325 kPa) [60]
6.354 kJ mol-1 (81.6°C, 2150 MPa, ice VI) [535]

Enthalpy of Sublimation
51.06 kJ mol-1 (0°C)
---/q---
from amongst parameters that I didn't even know there were, at
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/data.html .)

Wait a minute! There's a picture of the triple-point!
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/data.html#d

Kewl! "(273.16 K "exactly ...) The triple point is the temperature and
pressure at which three phases (here liquid water, hexagonal ice, and
water vapor) coexist at equilibrium, and will transform phase with
suitable but tiny changes in temperature or pressure."

So, now, I guess I do! :-D

Thanks!
Rich

Bud

Winfield Hill wrote:

John Fields wrote...

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The idea that water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C, without
some mention of pressure, has little meaning. Water can "boil"
at 0C too.

Since, by your own admission, the boiling and freezing point
temperatures of water are pressure dependent, I invite you to state
what pressure would be required to be exerted on a volume of liquid
water in order to cause it to boil at 0°C.

The answer of course is: not much.

Hmmm...

Same as the answer to: "What does Floyd L. Davidson know about
anything?".

Confining comments to the topic makes newsgoups work better.

He appears to be confusing sublimation and evaporation with boiling.

I believe that the "boiling point" is when the partial pressure of the
liquid at the applied pressure and temperature is equal to the applied
pressure. "Boiling" may be entirely apporpriate.

Bud--
Bud

Don Bowey wrote:

On 6/15/05 7:23 AM, in article ,
"Bud" wrote:

Don Lancaster has written many articles for electronics magazines. Also
regular columns for several electronics magazines (probably still
running). One of his books (CMOS cookbook) was a standard for many
years. You might be able to learn something from him too.

Bud--

John Larkin wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:41:47 -0700, Don Bowey
wrote:

He [Don Lancaster] has tutorials? You've got to be kidding.

John

The quoted posts were not as you have posted them. They did not include the
"[Don Lancaster)."

Shame on you, Bud.

Don

Reading back through the thread I can see how John attributed the
"tutorials" to "the Phantom", but the "tutorials" quote (in "the
Phantom" post) was lifted from a post by Don Lancaster. I used square
brackets as they are commonly used.

Bud--
John Larkin

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:58:11 -0500, Bud
wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

wrote:

He [Don Lancaster] has tutorials? You've got to be kidding.

John

The quoted posts were not as you have posted them. They did not include the
"[Don Lancaster)."

Shame on you, Bud.

Don

Reading back through the thread I can see how John attributed the
"tutorials" to "the Phantom", but the "tutorials" quote (in "the
Phantom" post) was lifted from a post by Don Lancaster. I used square
brackets as they are commonly used.

Bud--

OK, my final position:

Whoever said that DC cannot exist, shouldn't authoring tutorials.

and

Whoever posts stuff typed by others, without the thingie first, is
likely to confuse folks.

John

Don Bowey

On 6/16/05 12:58 PM, in article ,
"Bud" wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

wrote:

He [Don Lancaster] has tutorials? You've got to be kidding.

John

The quoted posts were not as you have posted them. They did not include the
"[Don Lancaster)."

Shame on you, Bud.

Don

Reading back through the thread I can see how John attributed the
"tutorials" to "the Phantom", but the "tutorials" quote (in "the
Phantom" post) was lifted from a post by Don Lancaster. I used square
brackets as they are commonly used.

I see what happened.

In retrospect it is clear the "tutorial quote" came from one of Don
Lancaster's posts. However, when the Phantom used it in his post, much of
Don Lancaster's post was not attributed to him (Don): As with the Phantom's
post, there were no attribution carrot(s) so it appeared to be part of the
Phantom's post.

Subsequent posts were targeting what incorrectly appeared to be Phantom's
tutorials.

All that aside, always in for a penny in for a pound, I now conclude that my
remark was aimed at Don Lancaster's comment on DC.

Take your best shots.

Don (B)

John Fields

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:04:03 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

[...]

But only because Spehro laid that "triple point" clue on you. Had he
not, you'd still be thrashing around wondering what the hell was going
on, so instead of playing netcop and faulting him for daring to post
"accolades" to which you object, (that is, not posting in accordance
with your wishes) I think a nice "Thank you, Spehro!" is in order.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Floyd L. Davidson

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The idea that water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C, without
some mention of pressure, has little meaning. Water can "boil"
at 0C too.

Since, by your own admission, the boiling and freezing point
temperatures of water are pressure dependent, I invite you to state
what pressure would be required to be exerted on a volume of liquid
water in order to cause it to boil at 0°C.

The answer of course is: not much.

Hmmm...

Same as the answer to: "What does Floyd L. Davidson know about
anything?".

He appears to be confusing sublimation and evaporation with boiling.

*Look* at the statement:

Water can "boil" at 0C too.

It is *correct*, as you've all been very hasty to demonstrate.
It is not so precise as to say "at 0.010C", but certainly that
value is well within the normal meaning of "0C" (what, -.5 to
+.5 C!).

And while sublimation might happen at that temperature too, as
might just simple evaporation, the fact that it doesn't break
into a full nucleate boiling state does *not* make what was
stated wrong either.

But all of your squirming and name calling clearly does identify
each of you! I don't need to call any of you names, because *you*
are providing everyone who reads these articles with all they need
to know, whether someone actually puts a label on it or not.

If course when *you* provide so many handy labels, you'll have to
expect readers to use exactly those when they think of you.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Rich Grise

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:01:35 -0500, John Fields wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:04:03 GMT, Rich Grise

So, now, I guess I do! :-D

---
But only because Spehro laid that "triple point" clue on you. Had he not,
you'd still be thrashing around wondering what the hell was going on, so
instead of playing netcop and faulting him for daring to post "accolades"
to which you object, (that is, not posting in accordance with your wishes)
I think a nice "Thank you, Spehro!" is in order.

I didn't do any thrashing - I went right for the answer:
operator jay

wrote:

"Don Kelly" wrote in message

In any case, what you have to do in analysis is to treat each frequency
separately, including the 0 frequency term.
What's the big deal.??

Anybody who doesn't like it, feel free to bang out the de's.

Like I said before, Don, the big deal is people with nothing better to
do than start internet arguments, all the while ignoring all the bits
of knowledge that spill out during the course of same. Case in point.

Either what I wrote did not come out how I intended, or you disagree that
de's can be used to solve a circuit. You almost alluded to de's before so
probably that's not it. So to Mr. Kelly, let me rephrase that to a more
bland "Yes. Although I guess one could use time domain." Apologies.

And to you, too, Al. I'm sorry. Sorry you got fired from the cafeteria at
Motorola. After 30 years "in electronics" that's a pretty hard break for
the "Kitchen Man".

keith

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:59 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

[...]

Huh? The issue is not whether water can be a gas at 0C, rather can it
*boil*. Since there is nowhere in the phase diagram that the water and
gas phase touch each other at 0C, my guess is that it cannot boil at
0C, at *any* pressure. It's only a guess though. ;-)

And while sublimation might happen at that temperature too, as might
just simple evaporation, the fact that it doesn't break into a full
nucleate boiling state does *not* make what was stated wrong either.

What? Evaporation only occurs between the liquid and gas phases. I
suppose you're proposing that it somehow "tunnels" through the solid phase
at 0C? Me thinks you need to go back to high school physics.

But all of your squirming and name calling clearly does identify each of
you! I don't need to call any of you names, because *you* are providing
everyone who reads these articles with all they need to know, whether
someone actually puts a label on it or not.

Squirming? Try reading the phase diagram that has been put right in front
of your nose. Water cannot "boil" at 0C. ...not possible.

If course when *you* provide so many handy labels, you'll have to expect
readers to use exactly those when they think of you.

"Handy" labels like "gas", "liquid", "solid", "boil", "melt", and
"sublimate"? I guess you have a point. We're being *so* judgemental.
....hurt your feelings?

--
Keith

Floyd L. Davidson

keith wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:59 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

[...]

Did you even look at the charts? Did you read the many posts,
all of which agreed that at 0.01C, water can be a solid, a liquid,
or a gas.

Since what was specified was "0C", *not* 0.00C, arguing that 0.01
is different than 0C is silly. As noted, 0C covers anything from
-0.5 to +0.5C, because no decimal precison was specified.

And while sublimation might happen at that temperature too, as might
just simple evaporation, the fact that it doesn't break into a full
nucleate boiling state does *not* make what was stated wrong either.

What? Evaporation only occurs between the liquid and gas phases. I
suppose you're proposing that it somehow "tunnels" through the solid phase
at 0C? Me thinks you need to go back to high school physics.

Since at 0C it can be *any* of those... what's your point?

you! I don't need to call any of you names, because *you* are providing
everyone who reads these articles with all they need to know, whether
someone actually puts a label on it or not.

Squirming? Try reading the phase diagram that has been put right in front
of your nose. Water cannot "boil" at 0C. ...not possible.

If course when *you* provide so many handy labels, you'll have to expect
readers to use exactly those when they think of you.

"Handy" labels like "gas", "liquid", "solid", "boil", "melt", and
"sublimate"? I guess you have a point. We're being *so* judgemental.
...hurt your feelings?

Learn to read. People cannot understand the statement
'Water can "boil" at 0C too.' have a problem with the English
language. I you are going to claim you speak English as a second
language, I'll listen, otherwise not.

All this pedantic nashing of teeth for people who can't even read
common English syntax is amazing.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
keith

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:08:19 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

keith wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:59 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

[...]

I have no problem reading. OTOH, you have a problem with high school
physics. At no pressure, at 0C, is water both a liquid and a gas, therefor
water *CANNOT BOIL* at 0C. It must become a solid when transitioning
between a liquid and gas at 0C.

All this pedantic nashing of teeth for people who can't even read common
English syntax is amazing.

Correct physics is pedantic? Nice try, but perhaps you want to look at
the phase diagram again.

--
Keith
John Fields

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:59 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

[...]

Whether it's "correct" or not is moot. What you were challenged to do
was to provide the _pressure_ required to make water boil at 0°C. You
have't done that, and your ploy of using others' answers as if they
were your own is typical of your ilk: know-nothing posers who are
shown how a magic trick works and then pretend they knew how it worked
all along. Positively Fourth Street.
---

And while sublimation might happen at that temperature too, as
might just simple evaporation, the fact that it doesn't break
into a full nucleate boiling state does *not* make what was
stated wrong either.

---
"Existing as a vapor" doesn't constitute boiling, dumbass.
---

But all of your squirming and name calling clearly does identify
each of you! I don't need to call any of you names, because *you*
are providing everyone who reads these articles with all they need
to know, whether someone actually puts a label on it or not.

---
You're doing a pretty good job of painting an accurate portrait of
yourself, and when it's done I'm sure the consensus around here will
be that all that's missing from it is the label it needs: "Asshole".
---

If course when *you* provide so many handy labels, you'll have to
expect readers to use exactly those when they think of you.

---
"If" course?

I suggest that you've got enough to worry about just trying to take
care of yourself without taking on the extra load of assuming you can
predict how others will behave under any given set of circumstances.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Floyd L. Davidson

John Fields wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:59 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

[...]

The pressure is commonly known, was not the point, and your
question was out of place and trivially ignored.

Which is to say, who cares if you asked a dumb question?

And while sublimation might happen at that temperature too, as
might just simple evaporation, the fact that it doesn't break
into a full nucleate boiling state does *not* make what was
stated wrong either.

---
"Existing as a vapor" doesn't constitute boiling, dumbass.
---

Learn to read. Your life won't be so filled with angst
and bitterness.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

daestrom

"keith" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:59 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

[...]

What a lot of you are missing though is that the diagrams you are looking at
are equilibrium states. Take a large quantitiy of liquid water at 0.05 C
and let it stand. Now, have it in a chamber at something like 1 kPa. Next,
*rapidly* reduce the pressure on the surface (maybe suddenly open it to a
large vacumn chamber). You can then get evaporation to cool the liquid and
at the same time get some of the water to violently change phase to a gas
(i.e. 'boil'). You will also get a far amount of ice formation as the
latent heat of vaporization is supplied by fusing some of the water into
ice.

Of course, this is only a transitory phenomenon, but it is 'boiling'

daestrom

John Fields

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:01:25 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

John Fields wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:08:59 -0800,
(Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Winfield Hill -edu wrote:
John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

[...]

No one, but _everyone_ seems to be getting on _your_ case about _your_
dumb answers.
---

And while sublimation might happen at that temperature too, as
might just simple evaporation, the fact that it doesn't break
into a full nucleate boiling state does *not* make what was
stated wrong either.

---
"Existing as a vapor" doesn't constitute boiling, dumbass.
---

Learn to read. Your life won't be so filled with angst
and bitterness.

---
_I_ know how to read, as evidenced by the number of times I've caught
you in errors or pointed out your stupidly conceived and poorly
executed attempts at evasionary tactics, ya dumb ****!

And, BTW, where's all this flaming I was supposed to beware of? So
far all I've heard from you is juvenile crap which isn't doing
anything except making _you_ look stupid.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Jim Adney

On 16 Jun 2005 04:16:54 -0700 Winfield Hill
-edu wrote:

John Fields wrote...
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The idea that water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C, without
some mention of pressure, has little meaning. Water can "boil"
at 0C too.

Since, by your own admission, the boiling and freezing point
temperatures of water are pressure dependent, I invite you to state
what pressure would be required to be exerted on a volume of liquid
water in order to cause it to boil at 0°C.

The answer of course is: not much.

Hmmm...

Same as the answer to: "What does Floyd L. Davidson know about
anything?".

He appears to be confusing sublimation and evaporation with boiling.

No, it sounds to me like he knows his phase diagrams. Water can indeed
be made to both boil and freeze (simultaneously) near 0C if the
pressure is appropriately low. I don't recall the exact pressure, but
it's a medium vacuum (1 Torr, 50 Microns,... ???) That combination of
temperature and pressure is called the triple point of water because
all 3 phases of water exist in equilibrium there. It is a fundamental
property of water that can be used to calibrate thermometers.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
John Fields

Davidson) wrote:

Learn to read. People cannot understand the statement
'Water can "boil" at 0C too.' have a problem with the English
language. I you are going to claim you speak English as a second
language, I'll listen, otherwise not.

All this pedantic nashing of teeth for people who can't even read
common English syntax is amazing.

---
LOL, learn to _write_, you idiotic ****!

Not writing what *you* want to read is hardly an error on *my*
part.

---
Boy, are you an ignorant piece of ****! I'm not talking about what
_I_ want to read, I'm talking about _your_ abysmal command of the
language, as exemplified by that little outburst of yours to which I
was responding.

Read it again, and if it still sounds OK to you then you've got a
bigger problem than just being thick.

OK, I'll give you a break... The first sentence needs a "who" after
"People" in order to make sense, although it's pretty humorous that
you inadvertently chastised some folks' problem with being able to
understand an improperly crafted sentence, while at the same time
being the dumbass who crafted it, LOL!

And "nashing" of teeth??? Tsk, tsk, tsk...

BTW, asshole, how about let's see some of those flames you've been
threatening about unleashing.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Floyd L. Davidson

John Fields wrote:
I'm not talking about what _I_ want to read, ...

In fact, that's all you *ever* talk about.

And "nashing" of teeth??? Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Perfect example!

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Kitchen Man

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:58:48 -0500, "operator jay"
wrote:

Either what I wrote did not come out how I intended, or you disagree that
de's can be used to solve a circuit. You almost alluded to de's before so
probably that's not it. So to Mr. Kelly, let me rephrase that to a more
bland "Yes. Although I guess one could use time domain." Apologies.

Didn't get what you meant by "de's." It is now somewhat apparent that
you mean "differential equations." So ok then, apologies all around.

And to you, too, Al. I'm sorry. Sorry you got fired from the cafeteria at
Motorola. After 30 years "in electronics" that's a pretty hard break for
the "Kitchen Man".

Actually, I've never worked for Motorola. I didn't even know they had
a cafeteria. They have some nice cafeterias at Microsoft, but I've
never worked for them, either. You must have me confused with some
other guy who's good in the kitchen *and* the garage. It happens.

--
Al Brennan

"If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9,
then you would have a key to the universe." Nicola Tesla

The fundamental problem with the term "DC sine wave" is that it
suggests a way of viewing the situation which is incompatible with
finding answers to the posed questions.

To answer the question, the offset AC waveform has to be considered as
the sum or a DC voltage and an AC component, with their effects on the
R, L, and C analyzed seperately. The L and the C don't care about your
DC offset, so you must still think of the signal as AC in order to
understand their behavior. They don't care that the overall signal
doesn't reverse polarity, they only care that derivative of voltage
with respect to time is non-zero.

John Fields

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:53:48 GMT, TokaMundo
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:56:59 -0500, John Fields
Gave us:

Flame or not, the fact remains that you posit yourself as an arbiter
of the proper use of the language and yet clumsily (and helplessly, it
seems) make errors which belie your claim. I like to point them out
because they're just another example of your hypocrisy and I wouldn't
want you to think that your bull**** went undetected.

John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

I'd say very much so LESS than professional.

---
I'm sure this will come as a great shock to you, but your commentary
is unimportant.