daestrom

"kinyo" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:

snip
work for the DC Wave described? Will it output +5V or do negative peak
detectors only work for AC signals?

The circuit is pretty much unconventional (but sure smart!). No, it
will not output +5V. The circuit is meant to detect only negative
voltages and can only output zero or negative voltage. But I suggest
that your try building it and see what happens. You might just get
lucky.

Thank you.

You're welcome. I hope you now understand that your +5V to +15V voltage
is better called "varying DC". I've never seen an EE book that will say
"DC Sine Wave" for the voltage you described, and rightly so because a
sine wave implies reversing directions.

Or, one might refer to this as 10VDC with an AC waveform superimposed. The
AC waveform varies sinusoidally with 10 V peak-peak. One can then solve two
circuits, the DC one with just R and 10VDC, and the AC one with R-L-C.
Combining the currents from the two solutions should be equivalent to the
original circuit.

I agree, that 'DC sine wave' is a misnomer. It makes it sounds like the
speaker doesn't know AC from DC. In order to not sound foolish, it would be
better to use one of the alternatives suggested.

daestrom