Floyd L. Davidson

"operator jay" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message

The problem is that "direction" only has meaning when measured
in comparison some specific point of reference. If you have
three different reference points, one at the DC level, one at
the peak positive swing and one at the peak negative swing, you
have three very different views of "direction" for current flow:

Reference Direction
Point of flow
========= =====================================

Peak Pos All Negative

DC level Equal cycles of Positive and Negative

Peak Neg All Positive

I think "zero" is a good reference for current flow, and that the actual

Sure... now, can you define "zero"?

(absolute) direction can be measured. Voltages have the reference issues.

E =IR

Since our resistance is fixed, it's the exact same issue, though
perhaps easier to understand, with voltage. (I gave some
consideration as to whether to post that with voltage or current
references, and since "AC" and "DC" use the term "current",
decided to go with current to avoid the easier path to the same
statement you are making.)

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)