Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Behavior of Regulators Near and Below Drop-out

This rainy afternoon (East-coasters beware, that usually spells more
snow for you), I was amusing myself trying to behavioral model a
voltage regulator when you hit drop-out.

Then I realized, I've never designed an integrated voltage regulator
for general use, only those inside ASIC's where I can control all the
conditions.

Thus I'm clueless of behavior of commercial offerings at or below VDO.

I'm guessing that output voltage drops linearly with VIN once the
drop-out point is hit??

But what about current capability? Does it drop sharply, linearly, or
linearly to some critical point then drop like a rock.

Pointers/data appreciated!

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
This rainy afternoon (East-coasters beware, that usually spells
more
snow for you), I was amusing myself trying to behavioral model
voltage regulator when you hit drop-out.

Then I realized, I've never designed an integrated voltage
regulator
for general use, only those inside ASIC's where I can control
all the
conditions.

Thus I'm clueless of behavior of commercial offerings at or
below VDO.

I'm guessing that output voltage drops linearly with VIN once
the
drop-out point is hit??

But what about current capability? Does it drop sharply,
linearly, or
linearly to some critical point then drop like a rock.

Pointers/data appreciated!

I haven't done an in-depth study either, but I know that the
output voltage drops in an approximately linear manner down to a
certain level of Vin. I've observed input ripple reproduced
linearly at the output. I expect that behaviour below a critical
Vin level will be design-specific and will be hard to predict
without careful analysis. The critical level would be reached
when active devices can no longer be biased in the active region.

I know even less about their actual behaviour regarding current
capability, but I do know that they do not drop sharply right
after dipping below Vdo. All this is assuming that we're talking
about common linear regulators like the 78xx series.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 03:13:45 +0530, "pimpom"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

The internal schematics of classics like LM317 and LM1117 and such are
on the data sheets. Some people (?) could deduce their behavior from
that.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Those aren't LDO's, they're NPN "followers"; not PNP or PMOS, whose
behavior would be radically different, and quite process dependent.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
The internal schematics of classics like LM317 and LM1117 and such are
on the data sheets. Some people (?) could deduce their behavior from
that.

Those aren't LDO's, they're NPN "followers"; not PNP or PMOS, whose
behavior would be radically different, and quite process dependent.

LM337? In an earlier thread you noted it also uses an NPN output device.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

---
In all fairness, you didn't indicate you were talking about LDO's and
since "dropout voltage" applies to both beasts, who knew?

Glad it got clarified though since, on a rainy Saturday afternoon in
Austin, with nothing better to do than appreciate the difference between
the bottle in front of me and a frontal lobotomy, I was heading for the
soldering iron and the scope...

JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

I checked the Tequila availability... enchiladas tonight ;-)

I know there are various drop-out behaviors. JL was just trying to be
rude and dismissive with his "Some people (?)".

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Yum!

We're having leftover "Chicken Tagine" over newly boiled Basmati rice
tonight.

The recipe called for dried apricots and Garam Masala, but since we
didn't have any dried apricots we substituted Smucker's Apricot
Preserves.

Sweetart don't hurt chicken; what a nice surprise!

I'll post the recipe if you like, since it seems recipes aren't
off-topic here.
---

I know there are various drop-out behaviors. JL was just trying to be
rude and dismissive with his "Some people (?)".

---
I noticed that.

PimPom just joined the fray recently and has kind of tried to flex his
muscles with his "rule of thumb" stuff, and it seems that JL is
passive-aggressively challenging him, but with no direct reference.

What a chicken****.

JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

He's certainly a thinking young man!

and it seems that JL is
passive-aggressively challenging him, but with no direct reference.

What a chicken****.

JF

What a Chicken**** "Ol' Git" :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

pimpom wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

.... and LDOs are real bitches; talk about how to build an oscillator -
just design an amplifier.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

John Fields wrote:
---
Yum!

We're having leftover "Chicken Tagine" over newly boiled
Basmati rice
tonight.

The recipe called for dried apricots and Garam Masala, but
since we
didn't have any dried apricots we substituted Smucker's Apricot
Preserves.

Sweetart don't hurt chicken; what a nice surprise!

I'll post the recipe if you like, since it seems recipes aren't
off-topic here.

I see you like ingredients of Indian origin in your recipes. I'm
in India, but I live far from where stuff are produced - both
culturally and geographically. Is Basmati rice grown in the west
or is it all imported from India? I have an extremely limited
knowledge of Hindi, but I do know that "garam' means 'hot' and
masala is the word for spices. So "garam masala" literally means
"hot spices".

---

I know there are various drop-out behaviors. JL was just
trying to
be rude and dismissive with his "Some people (?)".

---
I noticed that.

PimPom just joined the fray recently and has kind of tried to
flex his
muscles with his "rule of thumb" stuff, and it seems that JL is
passive-aggressively challenging him, but with no direct
reference.

What a chicken****.

I have no time for "my dick is bigger than your dick" stuff.
Being entirely self-taught in a primitive environment without
anyone to guide me, I'm aware that I have huge gaps in my
knowledge. I try to contribute when I think can, answering
questions in parts when I don't have a complete answer. I try to
fill those gaps by discussing, asking questions or simply reading
in these groups.

I've been lurking on and off in the sci.electronics groups for a
little over a decade now, which is the length of time that
Internet access has been available here. I made occasional posts
but didn't always use the nym "pimpom". Flexing my muscles? I
didn't think what I did could be interpreted as such. I was just
trying to be helpful by sharing my experience.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

PimPom just joined the fray recently and has kind of tried to
flex
his muscles with his "rule of thumb" stuff,

He's certainly a thinking young man!

Thanks. But "young man"? You may be inching towards your 70th
birthday but I'll have you know that, if I hadn't married late, I
would be surrounded by grandchildren now :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:07:07 +0530, "pimpom"
wrote:

I see you like ingredients of Indian origin in your recipes. I'm
in India, but I live far from where stuff are produced - both
culturally and geographically. Is Basmati rice grown in the west
or is it all imported from India?

---
All the basmati rice here is imported, but there's a cross between
basmati and American long-grain rice grown by a company called RiceTek
in Alvin, Texas:

http://www.ricetec.com/page.asp?id=144

and sold as "Texmati", "Delta Rose", and "Cajun Country Popcorn Rice",
among others I'm sure.

..
..
..

JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

PimPom just joined the fray recently and has kind of tried to
flex
his muscles with his "rule of thumb" stuff,

He's certainly a thinking young man!

Thanks. But "young man"? You may be inching towards your 70th
birthday but I'll have you know that, if I hadn't married late, I
would be surrounded by grandchildren now :-)

Everyone is young compared to me ;-) BTW, I have 8 grandchildren!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:32:50 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

pimpom wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

I'm intent on modeling these suckers accurately enough that
oscillation can be predicted.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" kirjoitti
om...

The internal schematics of classics like LM317 and LM1117 and such are
on the data sheets. Some people (?) could deduce their behavior from
that.

John

Those aren't LDO's, they're NPN "followers"; not PNP or PMOS, whose
behavior would be radically different, and quite process dependent.

LP2950 has schematics on datasheet (National version).

-ek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:11:51 +0200, "E"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" kirjoitti
viestissä:iro0o5hmfbejuo9lt3udkodidv4nitjd1m@4ax. com...

The internal schematics of classics like LM317 and LM1117 and such are
on the data sheets. Some people (?) could deduce their behavior from
that.

John

Those aren't LDO's, they're NPN "followers"; not PNP or PMOS, whose
behavior would be radically different, and quite process dependent.

LP2950 has schematics on datasheet (National version).

-ek

Thanks! I'll check that out. Although my past experiences in the
"jelly bean" business is those schematics are usually "simplified" to
hide IP.

This is getting to be a really amusing mental endeavor! For instance,
how might an LM7805 behave with a zener inserted in its ground lead to
boost the voltage ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

"Jim Thompson" kirjoitti
viestissä:iro0o5hmfbejuo9lt3udkodidv4nitjd1m@4ax. com...

The internal schematics of classics like LM317 and LM1117 and such are
on the data sheets. Some people (?) could deduce their behavior from
that.

John

Those aren't LDO's, they're NPN "followers"; not PNP or PMOS, whose
behavior would be radically different, and quite process dependent.

LP2950 has schematics on datasheet (National version).

-ek

Thanks! Looks good!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
This rainy afternoon (East-coasters beware, that usually spells more
snow for you), I was amusing myself trying to behavioral model a
voltage regulator when you hit drop-out.

Then I realized, I've never designed an integrated voltage regulator
for general use, only those inside ASIC's where I can control all the
conditions.

Thus I'm clueless of behavior of commercial offerings at or below VDO.

I'm guessing that output voltage drops linearly with VIN once the
drop-out point is hit??

But what about current capability? Does it drop sharply, linearly, or
linearly to some critical point then drop like a rock.

Pointers/data appreciated!

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

What are your assumptions about the source?
A battery going flat might induce limit-cycle oscillations
that wouldn't show up with a stiff source?? or not...
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:15:31 -0800, mike wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

From my modeling point of view, the "source" is just "something"
connected to the "IN" terminal.

BUT, The way I am envisioning the model, a flaky source, if you have a
model for it, would induce the very behavior you want to see.

Maybe model "source" as a voltage source with a parameterized
impedance rise?

Or get out a battery manual and model "Charge", a parameter that
reflects both voltage and impedance effects?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

From my modeling point of view, the "source" is just "something"
connected to the "IN" terminal.

BUT, The way I am envisioning the model, a flaky source, if you have a
model for it, would induce the very behavior you want to see.

Maybe model "source" as a voltage source with a parameterized
impedance rise?

Or get out a battery manual and model "Charge", a parameter that
reflects both voltage and impedance effects?

...Jim Thompson

Overlay multiple un-synched signals to create a psuedo-random average
modulation 'noise' in the drive signal that can be amplitude modulated to
mimic anomalous source events.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Some people could also try running the LT Spice models of their LDOs.

Or even fire up some chips and see how they actually work... if they
don't mind using a soldering iron.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On 2/21/2010 12:29 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:11:51 +0200,
wrote:

"Jim kirjoitti
om...

The internal schematics of classics like LM317 and LM1117 and such are
on the data sheets. Some people (?) could deduce their behavior from
that.

John

Those aren't LDO's, they're NPN "followers"; not PNP or PMOS, whose
behavior would be radically different, and quite process dependent.

LP2950 has schematics on datasheet (National version).

-ek

Thanks! I'll check that out. Although my past experiences in the
"jelly bean" business is those schematics are usually "simplified" to
hide IP.

This is getting to be a really amusing mental endeavor! For instance,
how might an LM7805 behave with a zener inserted in its ground lead to
boost the voltage ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Works great as long as the zener isn' too big. 7800s push about 5 mA
through their ground pins at zero load, iirc. LM317s put most of the
quiescent current out their outputs, and only 50 uA or so out the adjust
pin.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:59:58 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 2/21/2010 12:29 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:11:51 +0200,
wrote:

"Jim kirjoitti
om...

[...]

One can stack regulators too, putting the adj pin of one reg on the
output of another. I've done that three deep on occasion. Works great
with LM1117s for 1.25 and 2.5 for FPGA core and Vaux voltages... no
resistors!

You can also drive the adj pin from an opamp.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

On 2/21/2010 12:29 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:11:51 +0200,
wrote:

"Jim kirjoitti
om...

[...]

Yep. But what do they do when pulled into current limit when stacked,
say the simple zener case?

I know that bipolar types will forward bias the substrate, at least
momentarily.

LTspice models are already behavioral, not device level, so they model
behavior under "normal" circumstances.

Analog Devices' models are like that, as many have discovered ;-)

I guess that the lab is the only way to get data for a reasonable
model.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |