Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default Behavior of Regulators Near and Below Drop-out

Jim Thompson wrote:
This rainy afternoon (East-coasters beware, that usually spells more
snow for you), I was amusing myself trying to behavioral model a
voltage regulator when you hit drop-out.

Then I realized, I've never designed an integrated voltage regulator
for general use, only those inside ASIC's where I can control all the
conditions.

Thus I'm clueless of behavior of commercial offerings at or below VDO.

I'm guessing that output voltage drops linearly with VIN once the
drop-out point is hit??

But what about current capability? Does it drop sharply, linearly, or
linearly to some critical point then drop like a rock.

Pointers/data appreciated!

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

What are your assumptions about the source?
A battery going flat might induce limit-cycle oscillations
that wouldn't show up with a stiff source?? or not...