Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
pimpom pimpom is offline

Default Behavior of Regulators Near and Below Drop-out

Jim Thompson wrote:
This rainy afternoon (East-coasters beware, that usually spells
more
snow for you), I was amusing myself trying to behavioral model
voltage regulator when you hit drop-out.

Then I realized, I've never designed an integrated voltage
regulator
for general use, only those inside ASIC's where I can control
all the
conditions.

Thus I'm clueless of behavior of commercial offerings at or
below VDO.

I'm guessing that output voltage drops linearly with VIN once
the
drop-out point is hit??

But what about current capability? Does it drop sharply,
linearly, or
linearly to some critical point then drop like a rock.

Pointers/data appreciated!

I haven't done an in-depth study either, but I know that the
output voltage drops in an approximately linear manner down to a
certain level of Vin. I've observed input ripple reproduced
linearly at the output. I expect that behaviour below a critical
Vin level will be design-specific and will be hard to predict
without careful analysis. The critical level would be reached
when active devices can no longer be biased in the active region.

I know even less about their actual behaviour regarding current
capability, but I do know that they do not drop sharply right
after dipping below Vdo. All this is assuming that we're talking
about common linear regulators like the 78xx series.