Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Productivity

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:55:37 +0100, Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

Joerg wrote:

I prefer the hearty kind of the All American breakfast. Eggs, bacon,
sausages, potatoes, grits.

Grits! I love grits. But where did you pick up that habit?

What does crushed stone taste like ?

That's the nice thing - the stone doesn't have any flavor at all!
Haven't you ever heard of the "soup stone"?

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:21:22 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:00:17 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:40:33 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

I prefer the hearty kind of the All American breakfast. Eggs, bacon,
sausages, potatoes, grits.

Grits! I love grits. But where did you pick up that habit?

I grew up in the country. In Europe, but they have similar foods, just
different names. For example I think polenta comes really close. Then
when you move to another place in the world like the US in my case you
start liking some local foods a lot. This is why I used to bring back
loads of bacon from vacation trips.

I like smoked pork chops (Kassler). Fortunately there's a large German
population around here and really good ones are not too hard to find.
Also Spaetzle. Just not too often.

Yep, delicious. But watch them kidneys if you eat Kassler a lot. We use
to make our own Spaetzle. Pressed through a large tool called
"Spaetzle-Schwob" which requires lots of biceps and endurance.

Do these look like good ones:
http://www.loewen-urbach.de/swabian_spaetzle_maker.html

Yep, that's the one. Don't get a painted version as that can flake off.
If your wife is on the petite side she may have to get in shape for that
tool via a few dozen push-ups each morning, or join the marines for a
couple years.

Is the Schaumloeffel necessary or can you just use a strainer as for
pasta?

We use a regular (large) strainer. Should not be cupped too much.

Looks like a German has translated that web page. "be proper to your
Spaetzle Maker" kinda gives it away ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Rich Grise wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:31:01 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:40:33 GMT, Joerg

I prefer the hearty kind of the All American breakfast. Eggs, bacon,
sausages, potatoes, grits.

Grits! I love grits. But where did you pick up that habit?

I first had grits in the Chow Hall at Shaw AFB, Sumter, SC. The
southern boys got a kick out of watching the carpetbaggers put
cream and sugar on their grits, as if it was cream-of-wheat. I
learned early on that they're supposed to get lots of butter, salt
and pepper. ;-)

And, has anyone heard the old joke about the Yankee who just
arrives in the South, and at a restaurant, he decides to try some.
He says, "And some grits".
Waitress asks, "Hominy?"
Customer says, "Oh, I don't know - five or six, maybe?"

The usual answer would be "Y' ain't from around town, are ya, boy?"
Followed by some really suspicious looks from the other patrons.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I prefer the hearty kind of the All American breakfast. Eggs, bacon,
sausages, potatoes, grits.

Grits! I love grits. But where did you pick up that habit?

John

Grits! Plain grits. Grits with butter. Grits with syrup.
Grits with brown sugar. Grits with ketchup (eewwww :-( )
Grits!! You made me HUNGRY!

Ed

Fried grits with maple syrup!

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:13:41 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 06:50:59 -0700, Don Bowey
wrote:

On 9/4/07 9:59 PM, in article , "Eeyore"
wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Be careful! A lot of that 'culture' is resistant to all known
antibiotics. On second thought: Enjoy yourself, while you last.

French medical science rivals the world, to this day they continue to
make great breakthroughs. Louis Pasteur is the Isaac Newton of modern
microbiology, a great genius.

French engineering is pretty good too.

Graham

French Fries are better.

Hey, this place is just swarming with French cars and semiconductors
and A380's and A350XWBs and electronic test equipment and cell phones
and computers.

Not!

Hey, look at this:

http://www.greenfieldtechnology.com/

This guy copied my logo, my product line, and my business model. But
not very well.

Optical pulse width rise time 1nsec? Yawn. I am sure you guys run
circles around them. I wouldn't be too concerned ;-)

Your logo is the surf, their logo looks like anorexic birds.

Our logo is Mt Tamalpias, as seen from the Bay Bridge toll plaza. That
should be obvious!

The guy who started Greenfield originally proposed being our rep. His
idea was that he'd set up a service facility in France, to repair our
stuff, and that we should start by our sending him all our schematics.
Really!

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

[...]

Oops, shoulda known. However, most of the time I just pass by the Bay
Bridge because my Bay Area clients somehow tend to be on the east side
of the bay.

Have you ever driven across the new Martinez bridge span? I did, even
before the formal opening was announced on TV. What separates motorists
from the lanes and sure death is merely a divider as they are used in
roadworks. When driving in the right lane you can look down (!) on the
rusty railroad span. Scary. I could imagine a lot of people who would
badly need a bathroom right at the toll plaza on the other side. Just
imagine a biker losing control on that brigde.

The guy who started Greenfield originally proposed being our rep. His
idea was that he'd set up a service facility in France, to repair our
stuff, and that we should start by our sending him all our schematics.
Really!

Oh man. But I was never scared of copycats. While they are busy laying
out a board we'd always be on to the next generation.

But why did he call it Greenfield and not Champ Vert? Anglicisms are
quite frowned upon in many places there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

flipper wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:02:15 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

Or ice coffee in the US. My mom tried that, craving her German cup of
"Eiskaffee". The completely puzzled waitress gave her regular coffee
with ice cubes in there ....

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Or a milk shake in Boston ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

It's common in the South.

We often make it up in the summertime.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Wow, didn't know that.

We often make it up in the summertime.

We do, too, with homemade ice cream. Made from scratch. In the winter we
then dutifully migrate over to the stiffer kind, Irish Coffee.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

Or ice coffee in the US. My mom tried that, craving her German cup of
"Eiskaffee". The completely puzzled waitress gave her regular coffee
with ice cubes in there ....

Well, isn't that pretty much how you make iced coffee anyway? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Party at the RF institute at my alma mater. Me at the barbie. Chinese
post-doc walks up, joins a thick crowd around the grill and looks at
what's on there. Doesn't seem to like too much what he sees.

"Do you also have dog?"

A few from the crowd almost got sick.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It looks like a better made version of a potato ricer, but it's hard
to get a handle on the side. Our potato ricer has holes about 2mm
diameter. The stuff I'm used to is more like 5-6mm when cooked.

Ours has larger holes but the dough is so stiff that it really takes an
effort to push it through. I've seen people totally red in the face
after finishing that part. Only very few people in Germany still make
their own. Most buy the bags, rip 'em open and toss it all into boiling
water. Not the real thing though and one can definitely taste the
difference.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

Or ice coffee in the US. My mom tried that, craving her German cup of
"Eiskaffee". The completely puzzled waitress gave her regular coffee
with ice cubes in there ....

Well, isn't that pretty much how you make iced coffee anyway? ;-)

Oh no:

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/1299.htm

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

[...]

Were you tempted for even a moment to come up with a few 'special'
schematics?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:16:42 -0500, flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Iced coffee is common around here; Mo loves it. Gives me the creeps,
or the chills, whatever.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

John Larkin wrote:

flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Goodness only know what Larkin's on about now !

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

[...]

No, that would have been mean. B was force-retired from In-Snec, where
he led the development of the 7 GHz scan-converter-tube based
oscilloscope, the one Tek sold for a while. Greenfield still sells it;
I can't imagine where they still get the tubes, or what the beast
costs. Straight digital scopes are up to 20 GHz, so I'd imagine the
market is dwindling.

I'm sympathetic to his situation, but he should design his own stuff.
He just tried to buy another of our products, our tiny delay
generator, but backed off when I asked him what he wanted it for.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Well, San Francisco has everything :-)

But try that out here. Actually in my mom's case it was at Lake Tahoe.
She said the waitress looked totally perplexed, asked other waitresses,
none had a clue.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

JosephKK wrote:

Joerg posted to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic:

flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

Or ice coffee in the US. My mom tried that, craving her German cup
of "Eiskaffee". The completely puzzled waitress gave her regular
coffee with ice cubes in there ....

Well, isn't that pretty much how you make iced coffee anyway? ;-)

Oh no:

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/1299.htm

I don't suppose that you would translate that for us? =-)

Ok, here goes:

Take 1/2 liter of water and 4 coffee measures (don't remember how much
that is, AFAIK more than tea spoons) of grounds and brew a strong
coffee. Sweeten with sugar while still hot. Cool rapidly so the coffee
doesn't increase in bitterness. This can be achieved by using a metal
bowl or pot that is set in cold water. Cool thoroughly in fridge. If in
a hurry you can also make excess coffee in the morning and let that
cool. Place two scoops of vanilla ice cream into a cocktail glass. Pour
well chilled coffee over that. Beat cream until it solidifies and add a
dab on top of each glass. Sprinkle chocolate powder over the top. Serve
with straw and long spoon.

As for coffee measures (Kafeeloeffel) I found only 58 hits and none had
weight or volume data. Basically you just have to make a strong coffee,
more towards Italian style. Just not the stuff where the spoon doesn't
fall over and you can't sleep the next two nights ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

John Larkin wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:16:42 -0500, flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

ducking for cover now...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

ducking for cover now...

Shame on you !

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

flipper wrote:

Joerg wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

ducking for cover now...

ROTFLOL

Hey, if you want to hear people bitch about dinner go with a couple of
Brits to France and get one of them 'fancy' dinners with raw pork
chops and the vegetables all turned into baby food. As the pair I was
with put it "the French don't cook, they make sauces and puree."

'Raw meat' can be very tasty indeed. Nought wrong with purees either. It's a
shame IMHO that we don't see more French style cooking in the UK these days. It
was more in vogue back in the 70s when many towns offered an inexpensive
'bistro'. That's given me a hunger for a good old-fashioned coq-au-vin actually.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

flipper wrote:

Joerg wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

ducking for cover now...

ROTFLOL

Hey, if you want to hear people bitch about dinner go with a couple of
Brits to France and get one of them 'fancy' dinners with raw pork
chops and the vegetables all turned into baby food. As the pair I was
with put it "the French don't cook, they make sauces and puree."

Moules frites in a back street cafe in Le Touquet took some beating btw. Eaten
outside on the pavement/sidewalk.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Fred Bloggs" skrev i en meddelelse

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Which culture? Islamic or French - the pleasantness of your stay depends on
where you go!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

"Fred Bloggs" skrev

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Which culture? Islamic or French - the pleasantness of your stay depends on
where you go!

I don't suppose he had visiting the ghettos in mind.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

flipper wrote:

Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

A friend (Wales) used to say that the national dish in the UK is now
"Chicken Tikamasala". Her mom almost blew a gasket whenever she said that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

Or ice coffee in the US. My mom tried that, craving her German cup
of "Eiskaffee". The completely puzzled waitress gave her regular
coffee with ice cubes in there ....

Well, isn't that pretty much how you make iced coffee anyway? ;-)

Oh no:

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/1299.htm

I don't suppose that you would translate that for us? =-)

Looks like my earlier post didn't make it:

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:28:57 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

[snip]

A friend (Wales) used to say that the national dish in the UK is now
"Chicken Tikamasala". Her mom almost blew a gasket whenever she said that.

That's almost as family upsetting as how I used to tease my father
(until recent years, quite the southern bigot), I'd say, "Where do you
think the curly hair came from?" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joerg wrote:

[...]

That's not iced coffee, that is a mocha milk shake!

My mom used to make iced coffee, and it was simply day
old coffee, poured into a tall glass filled with ice, with
a little milk and sugar added to taste.

-Chuck

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:35:31 -0400, Chuck Harris
wrote:

Joerg wrote:

[...]

Yep. Southern style is just chilled coffee, iced, plus (for us) milk
to taste.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Ask for a frappe.

I prefer malteds, myself.

In New Orleans, have Breakfast at Brennan's, and order a milk punch.
That's sort of an alcoholic milk shake. Get the baked apple, too.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:03:55 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:16:42 -0500, flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

I've had excellent food in Oxford. It was Italian, perpared by
Italians. A little place on the Southern Parade, which is north of the
Northern Parade.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

flipper wrote:

Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

Well, it's a change from fish+chips, or boiled mutton.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:16:42 -0500, flipper wrote:

If you want some really strange looks, try ordering iced tea in
England.

If you want some really strange tastes, try ordering coffee in
England.

Or dinner.

I've had excellent food in Oxford. It was Italian, perpared by
Italians. A little place on the Southern Parade, which is north of the
Northern Parade.

Not a surprise. After all, they do drive on the wrong side of the road :-)