Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Productivity

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 16:25:07 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Union or non union?

--

Boris Mohar

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

A couple of problems with this sort of statistic. First:

"The ILO productivity figure is found by dividing a country's total
output in a year by the number of people employed."

Unfortunately, there's no way of telling what the cost of that output
should be and whether or not it has properly been accounted for. They
don't go around quoting 'Net' National Product but 'Gross' National
Product. Take Boeing for example. They sell a $100 million airplane and
the GNP is credited with $100 million. Its not evident from that number
that a good part of the value of the product is foreign made and should
properly be credited to its country of origin.

Another problem:

They are measuring output in dollars. Certainly a $10 American made
widget will appear to be 10x the 'output' of a $1 Chinese widget, even
though the widgets may be functionally identical.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Dyslexics have more fnu.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 16:25:07 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

It's impressive the progress Ireland has made: #2 in the world!

John,

Irish, of course.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

A couple of problems with this sort of statistic. First:

"The ILO productivity figure is found by dividing a country's total
output in a year by the number of people employed."

I notice it doesn't factor in the hours worked. These are much higher in the USA
than in Europe.

I've always though productivity should be measured per man-hour.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." hath wroth:

Jim Thompson wrote:

A couple of problems with this sort of statistic. First:

"The ILO productivity figure is found by dividing a country's total
output in a year by the number of people employed."

Unfortunately, there's no way of telling what the cost of that output
should be and whether or not it has properly been accounted for. They
don't go around quoting 'Net' National Product but 'Gross' National
Product.

Actually, the desired term is GDP (gross domestic product) which
includes compensation for inport/export values. See formulas at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_domestic_product
The BBC article doesn't mention either GDP or GNP or any other
recognizable metric. Since the ILO is part of the UN, they probably
do their own numbers. It's difficult to tell what the ILO means by
"country's total output", so let's backtrack:
http://www.ilo.org/global/About_the_ILO/Media_and_public_information/Press_releases/lang--en/WCMS_083976/index.htm
http://www.ilo.org/trends/
It appears to be their own unique and rather extensive method of
measurement called KILM:
http://www.ilo.org/public/english/employment/strat/kilm/index.htm
The report is actually a 22Mbyte Windoze program, not a printed
report. Cool:
http://www.ilo.org/public/english/employment/strat/kilm/download.htm
You have to register to download. I just started downloading, but
it's taking nearly forever to download. Yawn...

Take Boeing for example. They sell a $100 million airplane and
the GNP is credited with $100 million. Its not evident from that number
that a good part of the value of the product is foreign made and should
properly be credited to its country of origin.

GDP compensates for that. GNP does not. See formulas in the
Wikipedia article.

Another problem:
They are measuring output in dollars. Certainly a $10 American made
widget will appear to be 10x the 'output' of a $1 Chinese widget, even
though the widgets may be functionally identical.

Sure, but the cost of living is equally higher in the US than it is in
China. It sorta balances using PPP (purchasing power parity):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29
Note the large differences in income depending upon the source. Wanna
prove poverty? No problem, just juggle the metrics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

Still downloading. Reminds me of when I was on dialup (shudder). Back
when it's done.

Incidentally, this has nothing to do with electronic schematics and
electronics design, but I'll pretend not to notice.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Productivity - Norway leads the table.

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

However, Americans work more hours per year than workers in most other developed
economies. This is why, measured as value added per hour worked, Norway has the
highest labour productivity level (US$ 37.99), followed by the United States
(US$ 35.63) and France (US$ 35.08).

http://www.ilo.org/global/About_the_...3976/index.htm

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

It appears to be their own unique and rather extensive method of
measurement called KILM:
http://www.ilo.org/public/english/employment/strat/kilm/index.htm
The report is actually a 22Mbyte Windoze program, not a printed
report. Cool:
http://www.ilo.org/public/english/employment/strat/kilm/download.htm
You have to register to download. I just started downloading, but
it's taking nearly forever to download. Yawn...

Well, that was a suprise. Lots of numbers, mostly from UN sources
such as:
http://laborsta.ilo.org
and executive summaries (pre-digested reports). The program exports
data to Excel. Nice.

Chaper 7 is on "Labor Productivity and Unit Labor Costs". That turned
into somewhat of a suprise as they are showing:
"Labour productivity (value added per person employed) as a
percentage of the US level, manufacturing, transport and
communication and trade, latest year"
which seems to yield completely different results showing Netherlands
and Finland as 120% and 110% the productivity of the US in several
sectors. Is "value added" the same as productivity? Dunno.

I couldn't find anything that directly relates to the ILO productivity
conclusions or the BBC mutilation of the report. It's probably buried
in there somewhere, but I can't find it.

It's going to take some effort to digest this mess. Another time...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

A couple of problems with this sort of statistic. First:

"The ILO productivity figure is found by dividing a country's total
output in a year by the number of people employed."

I notice it doesn't factor in the hours worked. These are much higher in the USA
than in Europe.

I've always though productivity should be measured per man-hour.

In your case it would have to measured in donkey-picoseconds and even
then, the numbers wouldn't be very good.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

However, Americans work more hours per year than workers in most other developed
economies. This is why, measured as value added per hour worked, Norway has the
highest labour productivity level (US$ 37.99), followed by the United States
(US$ 35.63) and France (US$ 35.08).

http://www.ilo.org/global/About_the_...3976/index.htm

Graham

Americans work more because they aren't lazy, like other countries.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Any idiot can produce more by working longer hours.

The clever bit is to produce plenty *without* working all the hours of the day.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On 04/09/2007 07:35:02, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

However, Americans work more hours per year than workers in most other developed
economies. This is why, measured as value added per hour worked, Norway has the
highest labour productivity level (US$ 37.99), followed by the United States
(US$ 35.63) and France (US$ 35.08).

http://www.ilo.org/global/About_the_...3976/index.htm

Graham

Americans work more because they aren't lazy, like other countries.

Or simply because they are less efficient?

--
---
Christian - Grenoble
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson
However, Americans work more hours per year than workers in most other developed
economies. This is why, measured as value added per hour worked, Norway has the
highest labour productivity level (US$ 37.99), followed by the United States
(US$ 35.63) and France (US$ 35.08).

http://www.ilo.org/global/About_the_...3976/index.htm

Graham

Americans work more because they aren't lazy, like other countries.

Or simply because they are less efficient?

The GDP numbers don't support your hypothesis.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Any idiot can produce more by working longer hours.

The clever bit is to produce plenty *without* working all the hours of the day.

Graham

Idiots are rarely, if ever productive, no matter HOW many hours they
work.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

However, Americans work more hours per year than workers in most other developed
economies. This is why, measured as value added per hour worked, Norway has the
highest labour productivity level (US$ 37.99), followed by the United States
(US$ 35.63) and France (US$ 35.08).

http://www.ilo.org/global/About_the_...3976/index.htm

Graham

Americans work more because they aren't lazy, like other countries.

Or simply because they are less efficient?

Yawn.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

I didn't know we produce much of anything anymore. The report sounds
like it's based on a bunch of management level bs which means it is
totally unreliable.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:19:21 -0400, Fred Bloggs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

I didn't know we produce much of anything anymore. The report sounds
like it's based on a bunch of management level bs which means it is
totally unreliable.

If you order 1000 items from a China factory for $5 each and sell them
for $10, and it takes you two hours, you've just made $2,500 per hour.
That figures into the "productivity". The Chinese workers, who work
diligently for 1,000 hours to make the items, are only producing
$5/hour of goods, so their "productivity" is very poor.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On 9/3/07 10:34 PM, in article , "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

No it's not, it is GDP per unit of workforce pure calendar year. Go back
to your bingo.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

I didn't know we produce much of anything anymore. The report sounds
like it's based on a bunch of management level bs which means it is
totally unreliable.

If you order 1000 items from a China factory for $5 each and sell them
for $10, and it takes you two hours, you've just made $2,500 per hour.
That figures into the "productivity". The Chinese workers, who work
diligently for 1,000 hours to make the items, are only producing
$5/hour of goods, so their "productivity" is very poor.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Right, no one is going to convince me that American workers are
productive, this country is a pathetic, morally and ethically bankrupt
cesspool of bullsh_t, statistically speaking of course.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

I didn't know we produce much of anything anymore. The report sounds
like it's based on a bunch of management level bs which means it is
totally unreliable.

If you order 1000 items from a China factory for $5 each and sell them
for $10, and it takes you two hours, you've just made $2,500 per hour.
That figures into the "productivity". The Chinese workers, who work
diligently for 1,000 hours to make the items, are only producing
$5/hour of goods, so their "productivity" is very poor.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Right, no one is going to convince me that American workers are
productive, this country is a pathetic, morally and ethically bankrupt
cesspool of bullsh_t, statistically speaking of course.

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

No it's not, it is GDP per unit of workforce pure calendar year. Go back
to your bingo.

I see 'per unit of time' here.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/productivity

Nothing about years whatever. Hours makes more sense given that wages are
commonly paid according to an hourly rate.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On 9/4/07 8:46 AM, in article , "Fred Bloggs"
wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:
On 9/3/07 10:34 PM, in article
, "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

No it's not, it is GDP per unit of workforce pure calendar year. Go back
to your bingo.

Says the guy who obviously never studied economics. Let me put it more
completely so perhaps you can follow it better: Productivity is measured as
output per man-hour. Working more un-productive hours does not improve
productivity. how else could you compare GDPs

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 17:09:42 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

No it's not, it is GDP per unit of workforce pure calendar year. Go back
to your bingo.

I see 'per unit of time' here.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/productivity

Nothing about years whatever. Hours makes more sense given that wages are
commonly paid according to an hourly rate.

Graham

Sheesh. It's quite possible for there to be more than one way to
measure it.

Here's a sensible general definition:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=1473-2858(196506)16%3A2%3C177%3AP-TOCT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-4

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Don Bowey wrote:
On 9/4/07 8:46 AM, in article , "Fred Bloggs"
wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

On 9/3/07 10:34 PM, in article
, "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

No it's not, it is GDP per unit of workforce pure calendar year. Go back
to your bingo.

Says the guy who obviously never studied economics.

I never study anything, it either comes to me or it doesn't.

Let me put it more
completely so perhaps you can follow it better: Productivity is measured as
output per man-hour. Working more un-productive hours does not improve
productivity. how else could you compare GDPs

That may be your understanding but the BBC report says productivity for
purposes of that report is defined as I said it was.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Be careful! A lot of that 'culture' is resistant to all known
antibiotics. On second thought: Enjoy yourself, while you last.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Be careful! A lot of that 'culture' is resistant to all known
antibiotics. On second thought: Enjoy yourself, while you last.

French medical science rivals the world, to this day they continue to
make great breakthroughs. Louis Pasteur is the Isaac Newton of modern
microbiology, a great genius.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Be careful! A lot of that 'culture' is resistant to all known
antibiotics. On second thought: Enjoy yourself, while you last.

French medical science rivals the world, to this day they continue to
make great breakthroughs. Louis Pasteur is the Isaac Newton of modern
microbiology, a great genius.

What has he done lately, other than continue to decompose? He's been
dead over 100 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur so his
work isn't cutting edge.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Be careful! A lot of that 'culture' is resistant to all known
antibiotics. On second thought: Enjoy yourself, while you last.

French medical science rivals the world, to this day they continue to
make great breakthroughs. Louis Pasteur is the Isaac Newton of modern
microbiology, a great genius.

Yeah, and the Arab world used to be the cradle of civilization.

Things change.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

I have heard multiple reports that American workers take less
vacation days, sick days and holidays compared to a lot of other
countries. fewer employees producing the same goods reduces overhead
for insurance, training, and other overhead costs thereby raising
productivity, no matter HOW you measure it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Chris Jones wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Be careful! A lot of that 'culture' is resistant to all known
antibiotics. On second thought: Enjoy yourself, while you last.

French medical science rivals the world, to this day they continue to
make great breakthroughs. Louis Pasteur is the Isaac Newton of modern
microbiology, a great genius.

What has he done lately, other than continue to decompose? He's been
dead over 100 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur so his
work isn't cutting edge.

Though it will be, when it reaches the UK.

Fred will NEVER be cutting edge, no matter where he goes. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On 9/4/07 2:53 PM, in article , "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

On 9/3/07 10:34 PM, in article
, "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

I have heard multiple reports that American workers take less
vacation days, sick days and holidays compared to a lot of other
countries. fewer employees producing the same goods reduces overhead
for insurance, training, and other overhead costs thereby raising
productivity, no matter HOW you measure it.

Well, it increases production, but not necessarily productivity. For that
you must factor in time.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:39:19 -0700, Don Bowey
wrote:

On 9/4/07 2:53 PM, in article , "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Don Bowey wrote:

On 9/3/07 10:34 PM, in article
, "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

" the US figure is boosted by Americans working more hours per year than
workers in most developed countries."

That's why they are MORE productive, dumb ass.

Productivity is measured as output per hour.

I have heard multiple reports that American workers take less
vacation days, sick days and holidays compared to a lot of other
countries. fewer employees producing the same goods reduces overhead
for insurance, training, and other overhead costs thereby raising
productivity, no matter HOW you measure it.

Well, it increases production, but not necessarily productivity. For that
you must factor in time.

The definition does NOT have time in it other than ANNUAL!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

Fred, Why don't you move to France where you'll fit right in ?:-)

I think I will, I would enjoy living in France, at least there's some
semblance of culture there.

Be careful! A lot of that 'culture' is resistant to all known
antibiotics. On second thought: Enjoy yourself, while you last.

French medical science rivals the world, to this day they continue to
make great breakthroughs. Louis Pasteur is the Isaac Newton of modern
microbiology, a great genius.

Then why is the cancer mortality (for detected and treated cases) higher
in Europe than in the US? Example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/272078.stm

Scroll to "Health spending and cancer survival rates".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com