how to wallpaper on glass ?

Old May 14th 09, 02:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to wallpaper on glass ?

Hi.

I have a room which has a fine built-in wardrobe all along one wall.
Each of the five sliding doors has two framed panels and in each of
these these is a mirror. Now this would be OK if this room was being
used as a bedroom perhaps but it's now a study. So I want to apply a
suitable heavy paper over the mirror inside each panel. (It so happens
that the wallpaper that looks best is a heavy one.)

The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? I don't
want to sand the mirrors or remove them. The next occupant might like
to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddy.

Old May 14th 09, 03:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Hi.

I have a room which has a fine built-in wardrobe all along one wall.
Each of the five sliding doors has two framed panels and in each of
these these is a mirror. Now this would be OK if this room was being
used as a bedroom perhaps but it's now a study. So I want to apply a
suitable heavy paper over the mirror inside each panel. (It so
happens that the wallpaper that looks best is a heavy one.)

The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? I don't
want to sand the mirrors or remove them. The next occupant might like
to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

Any ideas?

I think it's a really bad idea to wallpaper glass in case it gets broken in
the future by someone who doesn't know it's there.

Si

Old May 14th 09, 03:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
I think it's a really bad idea to wallpaper glass in case it gets broken in
the future by someone who doesn't know it's there.

Good thought, Si. You're obviously safety-conscious, which is good.

But the paper I've selected is sturdy one, so if somebody were to press
against one of the panels and crack the mirror the paper would almost
certainly hide the crack and stop any slivers of glass from getting
away. Also the mirrors are stuck into the wood panels by way of
adhesive on their backs, so if somebody snapped one of the mirrors they
wouldn't tumble down.

So I don't think hiding the mirrors behind wallpaper is a problem.

The problem is how to adhere the paper to the mirrors with a good finish
and possible be able to remove it at a later date.

Eddy.

Old May 14th 09, 03:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
I think it's a really bad idea to wallpaper glass in case it gets
broken in the future by someone who doesn't know it's there.

Good thought, Si. You're obviously safety-conscious, which is good.

But the paper I've selected is sturdy one, so if somebody were to
press against one of the panels and crack the mirror the paper would
almost certainly hide the crack and stop any slivers of glass from
getting away. Also the mirrors are stuck into the wood panels by way
of adhesive on their backs, so if somebody snapped one of the mirrors
they wouldn't tumble down.

So I don't think hiding the mirrors behind wallpaper is a problem.

The problem is how to adhere the paper to the mirrors with a good
finish and possible be able to remove it at a later date.

Eddy.

Fairy nuff. I would expect normal Solvite or Polycell to do the job easily
enough as long as you didn't use too much paste, but as for getting it off
at a later date... well, it might get messy! PVA maybe?

Si

Old May 14th 09, 04:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Hi.

I have a room which has a fine built-in wardrobe all along one wall.
Each of the five sliding doors has two framed panels and in each of
these these is a mirror. Now this would be OK if this room was being
used as a bedroom perhaps but it's now a study. So I want to apply a
suitable heavy paper over the mirror inside each panel. (It so happens
that the wallpaper that looks best is a heavy one.)

The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? I don't
want to sand the mirrors or remove them. The next occupant might like
to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

Any ideas?

I would use one of the temporary mount spray adhesives - the sort of
thing you get in art shops for mounting things on cut'n'past boards etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old May 14th 09, 04:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Eddy wrote:
Hi.

I have a room which has a fine built-in wardrobe all along one wall.
Each of the five sliding doors has two framed panels and in each of
these these is a mirror. Now this would be OK if this room was being
used as a bedroom perhaps but it's now a study. So I want to apply a
suitable heavy paper over the mirror inside each panel. (It so happens
that the wallpaper that looks best is a heavy one.)

The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? I don't
want to sand the mirrors or remove them. The next occupant might like
to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

Any ideas?

I would use one of the temporary mount spray adhesives - the sort of
thing you get in art shops for mounting things on cut'n'past boards etc.

You can PVA glass. When the PVA has dried, I expect normal wall
paper pastes would stick to it, but I haven't tried myself.
You can apparently plaster onto glass if you PVA it in this way
first.

I share the views of others on safety. Might be better to stick
sheets of hardboard on first, but even then it may be an
unwelcome surprise for anyone who later decides to pull down
what you've built.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 14th 09, 04:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 3:22*pm, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Hi.

I have a room which has a fine built-in wardrobe all along one wall.
Each of the five sliding doors has two framed panels and in each of
these these is a mirror. * Now this would be OK if this room was being
used as a bedroom perhaps but it's now a study. *So I want to apply a
suitable heavy paper over the mirror inside each panel. *(It so
happens that the wallpaper that looks best is a heavy one.)

The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? *I don't
want to sand the mirrors or remove them. *The next occupant might like
to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

Any ideas?

I think it's a really bad idea to wallpaper glass in case it gets broken in
the future by someone who doesn't know it's there.

Plus remember that mirrors are not made with safety glass. However,
you could stick some of that plastic safety film on first.

Old May 14th 09, 04:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Eddy wrote:
The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? I don't
want to sand the mirrors or remove them. The next occupant might like
to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

I'd guess the glue used where you overlap vinyl paper - or add a border to
it would work with glass. Not cheap, though.

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 14th 09, 04:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

You can PVA glass. When the PVA has dried, I expect normal wall
paper pastes would stick to it, but I haven't tried myself.
You can apparently plaster onto glass if you PVA it in this way
first.

We use PVA to glue labels onto glass bottles. It works fine.
Old May 14th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eddy" wrote in message
Hi.

I have a room which has a fine built-in wardrobe all along one wall.
Each of the five sliding doors has two framed panels and in each of
these these is a mirror. Now this would be OK if this room was being
used as a bedroom perhaps but it's now a study. So I want to apply a
suitable heavy paper over the mirror inside each panel. (It so happens
that the wallpaper that looks best is a heavy one.)

The trouble is: wallpaper won't paste well to glass, will it? I don't
want to sand the mirrors or remove them. The next occupant might like
to remove the wallpaper and enjoy the mirrors again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddy.

I would use 1/8" MDF cut to size for each mirror, then attach to mirrors
with strong double sided carpet tape - then wallpaper the (sized) mdf. You
can then fairly easily rip off the mdf and remove the carpet tape with a
solvent later if desired.