Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing glass in sliding glass door

I just had the misfortune of having the glass on my sliding glass door shot
out
with a BB gun. The door has a double pane, the outer pane
is shattered and gone, the inner one is still there. I am looking for advice
on repair/replacement.

1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?

2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?

3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would like.

Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on labor?
What would be the relative costs?

Thank you kindly for any responses and advice, including options I may not
have considered.

Godfrey

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Godfrey Muganda" wrote in message

1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?

Yes.

2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?

No.

3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would like.

Sometimes. Depends on the condition of the door. There are some new ones
with much nicer features than a 30 year old one. While not needed, it may
not cost all that much more to u pgrade.

Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on
labor?
What would be the relative costs?

Yes, depending on your skill level. Replacing the entire door is a four to
eight hour job and two people are needed. Trim must be removed, the old
casing removed, the new one set in place, plumb and square, trim replaced.
I'd guess that $300 to $500 for labor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

If it is dual pane as you say it may be cheaper to replace it. The dual pane
glass assembly has a gas between the two panes and buying the replacement
dual pane glass assembly can be quite expensive.

Making your wife happy could be a great investment.

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"Godfrey Muganda" wrote in message
I just had the misfortune of having the glass on my sliding glass door shot
out
with a BB gun. The door has a double pane, the outer pane
is shattered and gone, the inner one is still there. I am looking for
advice on repair/replacement.

1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?

2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?

3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would like.

Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on
labor?
What would be the relative costs?

Thank you kindly for any responses and advice, including options I may not
have considered.

Godfrey

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:07:11 GMT, "Godfrey Muganda"
wrote:

I just had the misfortune of having the glass on my sliding glass door shot
out
with a BB gun. The door has a double pane, the outer pane
is shattered and gone, the inner one is still there. I am looking for advice
on repair/replacement.

1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?

2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?

3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would like.

Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on labor?
What would be the relative costs?

Thank you kindly for any responses and advice, including options I may not
have considered.

Godfrey

Its always a good idea to listen to the wife anyway. You will need to
replace the whole door. There the space between the two glass panes
is a desiccated sealed environment filled with dust free inert gas.
Plus the gas is tempered safety glass. Both the gas seal and the
tempered glass need factory insta;llation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Godfrey Muganda wrote:
I just had the misfortune of having the glass on my sliding glass
door shot out
with a BB gun. The door has a double pane, the outer pane
is shattered and gone, the inner one is still there. I am looking for
advice on repair/replacement.

1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?

2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?

3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would like.

Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on
labor? What would be the relative costs?

Thank you kindly for any responses and advice, including options I
may not have considered.

I had a lawnmower fling a piece of petrified pet poo, or maybe brick (at
over 300 mph), through a tempered-glass patio door.

Called a glass company. Guy was out with the glass (they are evidently
standard sizes, about 3.5 x 6.5 feet) within the hour and, after another
hour, had it installed. I helped a bit because the pane to wiggle around
burglar bars anchored into the brick walls and concrete patio.

Nevertheless, $180.00. Good as new.

In your case, I bet the double-glass panes are standard, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Godfrey Muganda wrote:
[...]

Strongly second what he says- most of the major brands are stock sizes, and
if they will install onsite for less than 50 bucks or so, it is well worth
it to not have to horse the door off the track, plastic over the hole, haul
it to the glass company, and then haul it home and put it in without
breaking it. Those suckers are HEAVY, and you really need 2 guys to do it
safely. Note well that warranty on double-pane usually requires that they do
the install. Having the right tools and the experience does make it look
easy.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Godfrey Muganda wrote:
[...]

I had a single pane one that was broken. Took the frame apart and
brought it to glass company for sizing. It was std. Glass was $59.
Douple pane was like 75-80. Took glass home and put it in frame on a
carpet floor. Fine. Just took special care to use a framing square on
corners.

Use two people to load and unload so it doesn't snap. Once on floor easy
to handle and stand on edge using common sense.

I think they wanted somewhere about 50-75 additional to install it. Not
bad really but I wanted to try it. If I had snapped it I would be
preaching to have in installed of course :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-126171-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:52:19 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.

The bank foreclosed on the house 5 years ago and the OP jumped from a bridge. It was really tragic. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Bridge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2016 7:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.

Didn't Hebe Bub die a few years back?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:08:52 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/27/2016 7:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.

Didn't Hebe Bub die a few years back?

I sort of think that maybe I might recall hearing something like that.

How's that for a definitive answer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:28:35 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:08:52 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/27/2016 7:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.

Didn't Hebe Bub die a few years back?

I sort of think that maybe I might recall hearing something like that.

How's that for a definitive answer?

I hope HeyBub is OK, he is/was a nice guy. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Worried Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2016 08:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/27/2016 7:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.

Didn't Hebe Bub die a few years back?

Maybe he's like a Chicago Democrat and comes back to life at election time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 May 2016 16:52:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote:
can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache
now.

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.

He might reach Jerry through a Séance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to HeyBub, Jajisee wrote:
I have same problem, Pella door, estimate to repair was $618! Trying to
figure out how to DIY.