Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers ameijers is offline

Default Replacing glass in sliding glass door

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Godfrey Muganda wrote:
I just had the misfortune of having the glass on my sliding glass
door shot out
with a BB gun. The door has a double pane, the outer pane
is shattered and gone, the inner one is still there. I am looking for
advice on repair/replacement.

1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?

2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?

3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would like.

Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on
labor? What would be the relative costs?

Thank you kindly for any responses and advice, including options I
may not have considered.

I had a lawnmower fling a piece of petrified pet poo, or maybe brick (at
over 300 mph), through a tempered-glass patio door.

Called a glass company. Guy was out with the glass (they are evidently
standard sizes, about 3.5 x 6.5 feet) within the hour and, after another
hour, had it installed. I helped a bit because the pane to wiggle around
burglar bars anchored into the brick walls and concrete patio.

Nevertheless, $180.00. Good as new.

In your case, I bet the double-glass panes are standard, too.

Strongly second what he says- most of the major brands are stock sizes, and
if they will install onsite for less than 50 bucks or so, it is well worth
it to not have to horse the door off the track, plastic over the hole, haul
it to the glass company, and then haul it home and put it in without
breaking it. Those suckers are HEAVY, and you really need 2 guys to do it
safely. Note well that warranty on double-pane usually requires that they do
the install. Having the right tools and the experience does make it look
easy.

aem sends...