Posted to alt.home.repair
nuttie_cat

Default Replacing Coffee Table Glass

Hi,

I have a round coffee table whose glass top shattered. I want to
replace the glass but face two problems:

1. The base is metal. The glass seems like it was stuck to the round
metal column coming from the base of the table. Now that the glass
shattered, there is still a fair chunk attached to the metal base. How
can I seperate the rest of the glass from the metal base so that a new
one can be laid on top of it?

2. What kind of adhesive can I use to fix the new glass on top of th
metal base or how can I fix a new glass top on the metal base?

3. If I want to take it to a glass shop to get it done, typically how
much will it cost to do this kind of thing? Will they just charge for
the glass or will they charge for the labor involved in removing the
old glass and fixing the new one?

I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this

Posted to alt.home.repair
AND Books

nuttie_cat wrote:
: Hi,

: I have a round coffee table whose glass top shattered. I want to
: replace the glass but face two problems:

: 1. The base is metal. The glass seems like it was stuck to the round
: metal column coming from the base of the table. Now that the glass
: shattered, there is still a fair chunk attached to the metal base. How
: can I seperate the rest of the glass from the metal base so that a new
: one can be laid on top of it?
heat gun, remove *all* of the glass chards... vaccuum cleaner

: 2. What kind of adhesive can I use to fix the new glass on top of th
: metal base or how can I fix a new glass top on the metal base?
little dab of liquid nail?

: 3. If I want to take it to a glass shop to get it done, typically how
: much will it cost to do this kind of thing? Will they just charge for
: the glass or will they charge for the labor involved in removing the
: old glass and fixing the new one?
get an estimate. it might be cheaper to go to a Big Lots and buy
a replacement round table top, or a whole new table...

: I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

we have these nice folks do all that stuff, the piece you need is
special ordered from nearby rochester ny because it is tempered glass.
you can ask at
Buffalo Auto Glass Co
1550 Main St
Buffalo, NY 14209-1590
(716) 885-5501

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

3. If I want to take it to a glass shop to get it done, typically how
much will it cost to do this kind of thing? Will they just charge for
the glass or will they charge for the labor involved in removing the
old glass and fixing the new one?

If you have any Pier 1 stores in your area, I have seen just round
glass tops for sale there at very reasonable price. They had different
sizes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"AND Books" wrote in message
nuttie_cat wrote:
: Hi,

: I have a round coffee table whose glass top shattered. I want to
: replace the glass but face two problems:

: 1. The base is metal. The glass seems like it was stuck to the round
: metal column coming from the base of the table. Now that the glass
: shattered, there is still a fair chunk attached to the metal base. How
: can I seperate the rest of the glass from the metal base so that a new
: one can be laid on top of it?
heat gun, remove *all* of the glass chards... vaccuum cleaner

single edge razor blade.

: 2. What kind of adhesive can I use to fix the new glass on top of th
: metal base or how can I fix a new glass top on the metal base?
little dab of liquid nail?

use silicone instead, or if it's thick enough, the weight of the glass will
hold it there.

: 3. If I want to take it to a glass shop to get it done, typically how
: much will it cost to do this kind of thing? Will they just charge for
: the glass or will they charge for the labor involved in removing the
: old glass and fixing the new one?
get an estimate. it might be cheaper to go to a Big Lots and buy
a replacement round table top, or a whole new table...

: I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this

Posted to alt.home.repair
nuttie_cat

Thanks for the advice. I checked out Pier 1 and they do have the round
glass tops that will fit just right.

I vaccumed the mess up and now I have one thing to do before I can
install the new glass.

There's one chunk that's still attached to the metal column. It's about
a 4" round piece that is stuck to the metal column.

What kind of adhesive remover do I use to seperate that piece of glass
that is firmly stuck to the metal?

Also, what's a heat gun and where can I find one?

The table is really very very very heavy and it will take a lot of
effort to take it to a glass shop which is why I want to do it myself.

pj wrote:
Home-improvement stores also carry the round table-top glass pre-cut.

In article .com, "Larry
Bud" wrote:
3. If I want to take it to a glass shop to get it done, typically how
much will it cost to do this kind of thing? Will they just charge for
the glass or will they charge for the labor involved in removing the
old glass and fixing the new one?

If you have any Pier 1 stores in your area, I have seen just round
glass tops for sale there at very reasonable price. They had different
sizes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

My recommendation is to use a putty knife, or something along those
lines, to cut the adhesive. Put the putty knife up to the joint and
lightly tap the end of the handle with a hammer to work it in. Do this
all around or until you can get the piece of glass off. Once the glass
is off you can scrape off the rest of the adhesive from the base with
the putty knife, or a razor or other paint scraper type thing. -- H