Default Replacing windows - keeping old art glass?

Hi All,

I'm looking at replacing the windows on my 101-year-old house.
However, one of the nice features of this place is the leaded-glass
window panes in the upper half of some of the front-facing double-hung
windows. It isn't anything too fancy, but just a pretty multi-lite
criss-cross diamond pattern which adds some charm.

Question is: does anyone have any experience with getting new windows
made which encorporate existing art glass? Who does this, and what
does it cost versus a standard marvin/andersen-type window? Seems like
it might be possible to sandwich it between two panes of the modern
glazing, but my google searches have come up short.

Thnx much,

Don Wiss

On 14 Nov 2004 12:56:45 -0800, " wrote:

I'm looking at replacing the windows on my 101-year-old house.

I've ordered new windows for my 112 year old house. They will be Marvins.

Question is: does anyone have any experience with getting new windows
made which encorporate existing art glass? Who does this, and what
does it cost versus a standard marvin/andersen-type window? Seems like
it might be possible to sandwich it between two panes of the modern
glazing, but my google searches have come up short.

Other than transom windows my leaded glass is only in the master bathroom.
What I ordered for there is Marvin's Historic Window. It is a single pane
window with a storm window set in the frame on the inside. Now I don't
really like my existing stained glass window. It is more opaque than I'd
like. And past repairs are obvious. So I am having a new window made. The
work won't be started until the new window is installed and we know the
exact size of the storm window. Then we will replace that with the stained
glass. We will also weigh the difference between the windows and order the
correct spring to handle this extra weight.

Anderson only sells windows in stock sizes. So if you want to do it right
you should get Marvins made to fit. Mine are the Double Magnums with wood
trim on the outside. I'm landmarked, so I had to file and be sure they
match the original style. For my bedroom I ordered sound deadening glass.
And you may want to get the strips to cap over the tan plastic tracks that
the upper window slides down in. They look pretty obvious when you paint
the windows black on the outside as I will. Then to lower the upper window,
and to tilt the upper panes in, the covers will have to be removed. I
presume just snapped off.

Don donwiss at panix.com.

John Hines

" wrote:

Question is: does anyone have any experience with getting new windows
made which encorporate existing art glass? Who does this, and what
does it cost versus a standard marvin/andersen-type window? Seems like
it might be possible to sandwich it between two panes of the modern
glazing, but my google searches have come up short.

An inexpensive, single pane, storm window on the outside? Replace the
glass with the art glass. Then you have the standard window behind it,
on either side, depending on where you want the art.

Old Double Hung Windows w/Insulated Glass Art Stewart Home Ownership 2 April 16th 04 05:18 PM
Newpro - Avoid them at ALL costs! Kevin Mandeville Home Ownership 0 October 3rd 03 10:15 PM
adding on to our house - which windows? Michele Home Ownership 4 September 11th 03 05:38 AM