Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Kevin Mandeville

Default Newpro - Avoid them at ALL costs!

I wanted to continue a thread that I saw started back in 1998 that no
one else posted to. It is in regard to Newpro Inc based in Woburn MA.
They are the worst company that I have ever dealt with.

First of all, the sales person was very high pressure. He stated that
the "retail" price (first of all, if they make the windows themselves,
wouldn't it be wholesale price, not retail?) for 2 bay windows
replaced 96" wide by 51" tall was going to be about $20,000! That is
absolutely insane, and meant to scare you. They said, since we "liked"
the windows but the price was an issue, if we agreed to purchase that
night (They were the first windows we looked at!) they could give us
18% off. Essentially the price came down with an additional 10% off
(they cancelled the first appointment so they gave us 10% off.) to
$6200 per bay window. We said what the heck and gave them a check for
$350 deposit and two paystubs and our last mortgage statement as proof
of income for financing. We were told we could cancel within 3 days.
We did just that.

2 days later we cancelled in writing in person. The form we filled out
to cancel stated we'd get our money back in 10 business days. They say
they only issue checks every Thursday. We essentially didn't get ours
until 14 days later (not a bid deal, I know, but it's the principle)
and they never gave our paystubs or mortgage statement back! The say
that they only have copies there and they must have mailed them out
already. This is BS and I've lodged a complaint with the BBB and the
Attorney Generals office. I may call an attorney too just to see if
there is anything I can to do penalize them so they can't do it again
to others.

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy from Newpro! Definitely not worth the money and
they lie to you! Salesman said they had 0 complaints in the BBB. LIE.
They have at least 5 in the last 1 year. Also said we could only get a
discount if we bought that night. LIE! After we cancelled, we were
called about 3 times to offer us an even better deal. Finally Bill
Pickens, General Manager called and offered me factory cost. DO NOT
TRUST THIS COMPANY. They lie! Just a word of caution.

You've been warned.

Below is the original post by Bill Smith. The sale pitch he describes
is EXACTLY the same pitch we got over 5 years later.

Kevin Mandeville
Buyerzone.com

--------------------------- POST BY BILL SMITH
I attended the Boston Home Show recently at the World Trade Center and
visited a number of dealers of replacement windows. Of all of them,
Newpro Windows (located in Milford, MA??) was the *quickest* to
schedule an appointment to come out to my house and give me a price
quote. Looking back at my experience, I can see why.

The salesman came to the house on-time and started to measure all of
the windows that I was interested in replacing. I live in a small
Cape that needed 9 regular sized double-hung 6 over 6 windows and 1
large picture window with 2 small side double-hung 4 over 4 windows
replaced. He also took measurements of the front door which I was not
interested in replacing. Whatever....

I explained to him that I wanted good quality windows with vinyl on
the outside and wood on the inside. I have been looking at Andersen,
Peachtree, Pella, Marvin, and Harvey windows. Good stuff...no cheesy
all vinyl windows.

He went into his spiel that cover the history of the company, the
features, workmanship, and on and on and on..... He spent a lot of
time comparing his windows with all vinyl replacement windows.
Especially comparing the cutaway of vinal vs Newpro windows in order
to show their advantages. I explained to him several times that I had
no interest in all vinyl windows so there was no need to go over it.
The sales guy also pulled out his book that touts all of Newpro's
benefits such as being registered with BBBureau, good construction, in
the business for 50 years, triple panes, uv coated, some special gas,
and so on. He read each page to me slowly and added his spiel to it.
I felt like saying to him that I'm not a dumb ass and there's no need
for this. Just give me the price quote.

By this time, the sales guy had spent roughly 2 hours and started
crunching his numbers in the calculator and writing them down on the
paper. He says that Newpro windows are expensive but they will last a
lifetime and have a guarantee to back it. He says that you can buy
cheaper windows but you'll pay for it in the long run. Meanwhile, I'm
getting hungy (it's 9pm at night and I haven't eaten dinner yet) and
tired of listening to this guy.

He gives me the price quote for 9 normal windows, 1 picture window, 2
small windows, and a door.

Anybody want to guess what the price quote was for?

$5,000. Nope.
$10,000 Still cold. Try again.
$12,000. You're still not close.

Try $20,000. What!!!?, you say.

The guy said that they're the best windows and have a life-time
quarantee. At this point, I should have thrown him out of my house,
but I didn't. I guess I'm too nice of a guy and a new homeowner. I'm
relatively new to working with salesmen and contractors. Guess how
much he quoted for the door. $2,500. Ridiculous.

He took the door, divided panes, and interior wood grain look out of
the quote. This brought it down to $15,000. Still ridiculous. He
wanted to know if I'll buy the windows. I said, "No. At the very
minimum, I need to do my research, solicit several more bids (Newpro
was the first one), call the BBB and their references.

He told me about this special "First time" deal where if I was willing
to buy them that night, I could save money because it avoids them
having to make repeat visits to the home before signing a deal which
eats into their profit. He showed me a "letter" from the owner of the
company to the sales guy explaining the terms of the deal saying that
the customer must approve it that night in order to reap the benefits.

He then knocked the price down to $11,000 and asked me to sign. I
said that there was no way that I would sign tonight. I needed to do
my research and solicit other bids. I told him that it was like going
to a car dealership and buying the first thing that you see. He asked
what it would take for me to sign that night....

At this point, he asked if he could call his boss since he was leaving
without making a deal. I don't know why but I said yes. So he paged
his boss and then started to pack. After awhile, the phone rings and
he's talking to his boss about the situation. You could hear him say
"Yeah, he's a really nice guy, has a good job but he does not want to
get the windows....and on and on" Finally, he leaves after *2 1/2*
hours in my house.

Needless to say, it was a big learning experience for me. No more Mr.
Nice Guy in the future as I will not tolerate that behavior anymore.
I will register a complaint with BBB and the Mass State Attorney's
office. I was very disgusted with the high pressure sale tactics.

Has anyone else had the same experience with Newpro Windows? I was so
disgusted that I have thought about standing in front of their booth
at next year's New England Home Show and chatting with people about my
negative experience with them.

Bill Smith
Object Design

replace bogus with objectdesign