Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Replacing glass in sliding glass door

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

Godfrey Muganda wrote:
I just had the misfortune of having the glass on my sliding glass
door shot out
with a BB gun. The door has a double pane, the outer pane
is shattered and gone, the inner one is still there. I am looking for
advice on repair/replacement.

1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?

2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?

3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would
like.

Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on
labor? What would be the relative costs?

Thank you kindly for any responses and advice, including options I
may not have considered.

I had a lawnmower fling a piece of petrified pet poo, or maybe brick
(at over 300 mph), through a tempered-glass patio door.

Called a glass company. Guy was out with the glass (they are evidently
standard sizes, about 3.5 x 6.5 feet) within the hour and, after
another hour, had it installed. I helped a bit because the pane to
wiggle around burglar bars anchored into the brick walls and concrete
patio.

Nevertheless, $180.00. Good as new.

In your case, I bet the double-glass panes are standard, too.

I had a single pane one that was broken. Took the frame apart and
brought it to glass company for sizing. It was std. Glass was $59.
Douple pane was like 75-80. Took glass home and put it in frame on a
carpet floor. Fine. Just took special care to use a framing square on
corners.

Use two people to load and unload so it doesn't snap. Once on floor easy
to handle and stand on edge using common sense.

I think they wanted somewhere about 50-75 additional to install it. Not
bad really but I wanted to try it. If I had snapped it I would be
preaching to have in installed of course :-)