DIY dentistry... sticking a loose crown back in ?

Old August 10th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY dentistry... sticking a loose crown back in ?

This one should raise an eyebrow or two, and some vexed responses...

I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull. These come loose every so
often, and one generally then goes to the dentist who applies some
kind of adhesive to the metal rod and shoves it back in. All done in a
jiffy. In fact, it's such a simple operation that if I had some
suitable adhesive, I might do it myself, and save myself a trip to the
dentist and a 30 bill! Anyone know what kind of adhesive to use? I
reckon superglue would be too quick-setting; you need a few seconds to
make fine adjustments before the glue sets...

Drake
Old August 10th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:10:39 +0100, "Drake (formerly Jake D)"
wrote:

This one should raise an eyebrow or two, and some vexed responses...

I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull. These come loose every so
often, and one generally then goes to the dentist who applies some
kind of adhesive to the metal rod and shoves it back in. All done in a
jiffy. In fact, it's such a simple operation that if I had some
suitable adhesive, I might do it myself, and save myself a trip to the
dentist and a 30 bill! Anyone know what kind of adhesive to use? I
reckon superglue would be too quick-setting; you need a few seconds to
make fine adjustments before the glue sets...

Don't use any resin etc glues, they don't work and you might poison
yourself.

Use a dental cement which you can obtain very cheaply in the form of a
dental repair kit.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/cate...dentistry.html

DG
Old August 11th 06, 12:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Drake (formerly Jake D) wrote:
This one should raise an eyebrow or two, and some vexed responses...

I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull. These come loose every so
often, and one generally then goes to the dentist who applies some
kind of adhesive to the metal rod and shoves it back in. All done in a
jiffy. In fact, it's such a simple operation that if I had some
suitable adhesive, I might do it myself, and save myself a trip to the
dentist and a 30 bill! Anyone know what kind of adhesive to use? I
reckon superglue would be too quick-setting; you need a few seconds to
make fine adjustments before the glue sets...

Drake

This reminds me of the person who was having a jaw tumour removed where
he had fixed his own tooth with epoxy resin. Some things arent worth
saving 30 on!

NT

Old August 11th 06, 02:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Use a dental cement which you can obtain very cheaply in the form of a
dental repair kit.
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/cate...dentistry.html

It does make you wonder about the cost of professional dentistry in this
country...
Old August 11th 06, 02:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:30:24 +0100, Derek ^
wrote:

Use a dental cement which you can obtain very cheaply in the form of a
dental repair kit.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/cate...dentistry.html

Thank you. That looks worth a try.

Drake
Old August 11th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Drake (formerly Jake D) wrote:
This one should raise an eyebrow or two, and some vexed responses...

I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull. These come loose every so
often, and one generally then goes to the dentist who applies some
kind of adhesive to the metal rod and shoves it back in. All done in a
jiffy. In fact, it's such a simple operation that if I had some
suitable adhesive, I might do it myself, and save myself a trip to the
dentist and a 30 bill! Anyone know what kind of adhesive to use? I
reckon superglue would be too quick-setting; you need a few seconds to
make fine adjustments before the glue sets...

How much of the 30 goes on the subsequent check that your bite is still OK?

Douglas de Lacey
Old August 11th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull.

A more accurate description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_%28dentistry%29

These come loose every so
often, and one generally then goes to the dentist who applies some
kind of adhesive to the metal rod and shoves it back in.

My dentist prefers to use gold crowns/inlays and uses Fuji 9 as cement
(an extremely tough cavity filling material)

http://www.gceurope.com/en/products/detail.php?id=4

But what the heck - why not try making up your own mercury amalgam.

More seriously, if your crowns detach regularly it may be about how
well made the crown is (fit), the quality of the bonding material - or
the skill of your dentist. You probably get what you pay for.

Old August 11th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-11 07:46:25 +0100, Douglas de Lacey said:

Drake (formerly Jake D) wrote:
This one should raise an eyebrow or two, and some vexed responses...

I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull. These come loose every so
often, and one generally then goes to the dentist who applies some
kind of adhesive to the metal rod and shoves it back in. All done in a
jiffy. In fact, it's such a simple operation that if I had some
suitable adhesive, I might do it myself, and save myself a trip to the
dentist and a 30 bill! Anyone know what kind of adhesive to use? I
reckon superglue would be too quick-setting; you need a few seconds to
make fine adjustments before the glue sets...

How much of the 30 goes on the subsequent check that your bite is still OK?

Douglas de Lacey

Quite. 30 is a very reasonable charge for the job. However, I
would be asking the dentist why the crown isn't bonding properly.

Old August 11th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Drake (formerly Jake D) wrote:
I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull.

I'm no expert, but I really don't think it's glued into a hole in your
skull. The metal post probably goes into a hole in (what's left of) your
tooth. The next most common situation is for a metal "implant" to be
screwed into your jaw, with an artificial crown later cemented onto it.

--
Mike Barnes
Old August 11th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Teeth are something where it makes no sense to economise on treatment
- assuming one wants to keep functional ones of one's own.

Awwwh - don't discourage the OP.

I sense a Darwin award coming his way.

McMansions And Such Tom Watson Woodworking 123 October 15th 04 12:05 AM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 01:35 AM
Wood for Childrens Blocks Wyatt Wright Woodworking 15 April 7th 04 06:15 AM
SEASONS GREETINGS BLOCKS Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 2 September 8th 03 06:06 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 05:08 AM