Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default DIY dentistry... sticking a loose crown back in ?

I have a crown of the common type that is basically an artificial
(ceramic) tooth with a metal rod extending from the top, which is
glued directly into a hole in my skull.

A more accurate description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_%28dentistry%29

These come loose every so
often, and one generally then goes to the dentist who applies some
kind of adhesive to the metal rod and shoves it back in.

My dentist prefers to use gold crowns/inlays and uses Fuji 9 as cement
(an extremely tough cavity filling material)

http://www.gceurope.com/en/products/detail.php?id=4

But what the heck - why not try making up your own mercury amalgam.

More seriously, if your crowns detach regularly it may be about how
well made the crown is (fit), the quality of the bonding material - or
the skill of your dentist. You probably get what you pay for.