Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default DIY dentistry... sticking a loose crown back in ?

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mark" typed

I go for check-ups every so often last one in December of last year.
I was probably being a bit naïve, teeth are not a regular conversation
point in our family
I was just surprised at the number of people replying that have needed
extensive dental work,

Many in my generation (born 1958) have bad teeth and have had some
pretty grotty dentistry. I was very surprised when someone in my year at
school had not had any fillings; the rest of us certainly had!

AIUI dental decay is a disease of the under 25s and if you last that
long without decay, you won't get much later on.

Fluoride toothpaste and fissure sealing cam on the scene after our teeth
started decaying. We were then treated by dentists on piecework, who
benefited by doing shoddy jobs quickly. Badly done amalgam fillings do
not last long and our teeth came to bits after repeated shoddy fillings.
Then we had crowns fitted...

I found out too late that large fillings are a bad idea. It's best to have
gold inlays; they're cheaper in the long run. Only have a crown done if it's
not feasable to have an inlay. Some dentists are incapable of doing white
(non amalgam) fillings. The curing process required seems to be beyond their
skill.

Sylvain.

--
Helen D. Vecht: