Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^ Derek ^ is offline

Default DIY dentistry... sticking a loose crown back in ?

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:39:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Derek ^ wrote:
Use a dental cement which you can obtain very cheaply in the form of a
dental repair kit.

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/cate...dentistry.html

This is not the same stuff as the dentist uses and only provides a
temporary repair. And I don't think it will work at all with post crowns.

I think you are right Dave, I'd observed it was a post crown (I've had
a couple) but it hadn't "registered".

My experiences with post crowns were mixed. (poor and worse !)

The bigger the hole in the root the less tooth material remains. Of my
2 one in the lower jaw kept coming out, just looking at it the post
was patently too small to withstand off axis biting forces, and was
also tapered. One doesn't fix fence posts by tapering them to a point
and banging them in, well anyway it didn't work for me.

OTOH The other in the top jaw was different that had to be extracted
because the root cracked along it's length because it had been
weakened by the prep.

I've also had 7 titanium implants which are superb, they feel exactly
like natural teeth The biting/chewing function is about 95% as good
(the form of the biting surfaces is not quite as effective).

DG