Phenolic Handles

Old February 10th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Phenolic Handles

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:20:57 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 18:59:37 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to
use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

How are their shipping prices? This is the first I've heard of this
company.

Essentra is the company that bought Reid Supply.

That name sounds more familiar.

I wonder how many of those red phenolic knobs they sell at 2-4x the
price.

Yeah, with all vendors you have to check price on each item.

Ayup.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Old February 10th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 20:08:04 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 07:29:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD.

Might want to add Fastenall to that list. Rarely cheapest for just
one or two, but if you need a bunch of something they will try hard
to be your supplier.

Fastenal -was- in my list--of places to avoid--due to their pricing.
I wanted -3- 55 gallon drum lids w/ qd bands for a client and they
quoted me $99, plus $67 s/h. I found them for $43 delivered on
Amazon. I don't even talk to Fastenal, let alone refer anyone to them.

Place I used to work for used a lot of (generic) Destaco 341 clamps
and we negotiated the price down to $13 from the then $20 buying a
dozen at a time. Real ones were about $25 then... Ouch! Up to $35 at
Granger today.

They're $1.28 each on eBay, w/ free 4-6 week delivery from China.
http://tinyurl.com/hy8xzya grin
Unless you're from the gov't:
http://tinyurl.com/j5r64tt OMFG!

Glad I am no longer there! A bad day at my current job is better
than a good one there.

That's always good to hear from anyone. Congrats.

Old February 10th 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 16:26:13 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
news
alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

I've not had good luck with Alibaba either, but I have bought a couple
things using Aliexpress. I didn't remember to check either one this time
around.

I've bought from both without problems, WHEN I can find something.
Their search engines truly Hoovers.

Old February 10th 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 15:34:15 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

They're $1.28 each on eBay, w/ free 4-6 week delivery from China.
http://tinyurl.com/hy8xzya grin

That is not a generic 341... Might actually work on very small molds
and is a fantastic price! Will keep this in mind if I ever get
around to working on my various projects ^H dreams.

Unless you're from the gov't:
http://tinyurl.com/j5r64tt OMFG!

But, but it is stainless steel!;-) Seems like the handle pads have
changed a bit. Hope the old ones still fit as I have a bunch to
eventually sell. (Mostly off brand but a few real Destaco's.) Pulled
them off since they would burn up in the oven anyway.
--
William
Old February 10th 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
news
alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

I've not had good luck with Alibaba either, but I have bought a couple
things using Aliexpress. I didn't remember to check either one this time
around.

The way we do it is to draw up a spec for what we're looking for in
excruciating detail including drawings. That spec is then posted to
the RFQ section.

I always include the text: Please do not respond if you cannot
directly address this solicitation. No toys or other irrelevant
items. Please do not respond unless you have an English speaker. No
Google Translate. Non-responsive replies go directly to trash.

This works pretty well. I still get some garbage, mostly toys, but
the responses have been amazingly good considering all.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Old February 16th 17, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Daka Ware makes a lot of industrial plastics:

http://www.daviesmolding.com/Catalog...rac-Balls.aspx

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Phenolic Resin Sheeting fred[_8_] UK diy 8 August 2nd 16 09:21 AM
Drilling Phenolic Tim Wescott Metalworking 7 December 22nd 11 10:55 PM
Where to buy Phenolic Ply [email protected] UK diy 1 May 5th 06 09:59 PM
paper phenolic pcb Obelix Electronics 4 October 20th 04 05:41 PM
Turning Phenolic Laminate vmtw Woodturning 7 September 18th 04 01:11 AM