Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Phenolic Handles

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.
Tim Wescott

Amazon lists brass insert knobs from "Essentra Components (formerly Reid
Supply)".

I buy a lot from Amazon to minimize the exposure of my credit card.

The problem is Amazon has bought some of the companies that they used to
sell for. Then they killed off products that weren't high movers and raised
the price on others. On top of that they have gone around some resellers
buying from their sources in higher volume and undercut them. I used to buy
my mold alignment pins from Small Parts (500-1000 at a time) through Amazon
until Amazon bought them and raised the price. I asked my screw vendor
(Copperstate) to price them for me, and it was a much better price, so I
guess their mercenary business practices served me well in that case.

They seems more like a flea market selling closeouts and overruns than a
reliable long-term supplier.

They had an Ebay-esque feel for a while, but more and more the reliable
repeat products are being carried directly by Amazon. (Prime) Ebay has
actually tried to be more like Amazon used to be supporting commercial
resellers and kind of snubbing buyers and one off sellers.

Several items I bought are no longer available and the parameters of
electronic components suggest they came from the out-of-spec bins on the
tester, for example a batch of 75V gas discharge tubes measured either
less than 70V or more than 80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in
the high 40's, none over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V. Maybe
a good one snuck in by accident?

LOL

-jsw