Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Phenolic Handles

On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based
on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just
higher. Those are made for that service.

Martin

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords
"industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you
might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.
Tim Wescott

Amazon lists brass insert knobs from "Essentra Components (formerly
Reid Supply)".

I buy a lot from Amazon to minimize the exposure of my credit card.
They seems more like a flea market selling closeouts and overruns than
a reliable long-term supplier. Several items I bought are no longer
available and the parameters of electronic components suggest they
came from the out-of-spec bins on the tester, for example a batch of
75V gas discharge tubes measured either less than 70V or more than
80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in the high 40's, none
over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V.
Maybe a good one snuck in by accident?

I had a friend who was a wholesale surplus dealer, who sold to Radio
Shack. They wold buy components like this from him, as long as they met
the minimum requirements. If he had 600V bridges, but they needed 50V,
that was how they packaged them. His price wasn't dependent on the
specs, but on his costs.

He had a store in the Orlando area about 20 years ago, before he
moved to the Carolinas. I lost track of him, after that. His name was
the same as a famous electronics blogger from down under.