Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phenolic Resin Sheeting

Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/16 13:55, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

pretty much completely waterproof

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 14:11:28 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/07/16 13:55, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

pretty much completely waterproof

I believe it is treated with the same thermosetting resin used in Formica sheets today's bakelite. Heavy though but you may find caravan specification stuff for light duties. It is used in static vans for animal housing. Although that is given a vinyl cover to prevent leaks -which would seem to indicate a lack of faith.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28-Jul-16 1:55 PM, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

It will absorb water, although that seems to affect its insulation
properties more than its strength.

Personally, I would use high density polyethylene rigid sheet. I used
it, 25mm thick, for table tops in a clean room as it resists not just
water but a whole range of cleaning chemicals.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 18:31:21 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 28-Jul-16 1:55 PM, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

It will absorb water, although that seems to affect its insulation
properties more than its strength.

Personally, I would use high density polyethylene rigid sheet. I used
it, 25mm thick, for table tops in a clean room as it resists not just
water but a whole range of cleaning chemicals.

Polythene resists chemicals nicely, but isn't very tough. A heavily scratched floor is hard to clean.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 13:55:52 UTC+1, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

There's a similar product made from re-cycled plastic.
Cheaper??
http://www.recycledplasticbuildingma...XzcaAs-A8P8HAQ

Totslly waterproof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 6:31:21 PM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 28-Jul-16 1:55 PM, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

It will absorb water, although that seems to affect its insulation
properties more than its strength.

Personally, I would use high density polyethylene rigid sheet. I used
it, 25mm thick, for table tops in a clean room as it resists not just
water but a whole range of cleaning chemicals.

Colin Bignell

I'm familiar with HDP sheet but find it too expensive for this application
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 8:21:04 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 28 July 2016 13:55:52 UTC+1, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

There's a similar product made from re-cycled plastic.
Cheaper??
http://www.recycledplasticbuildingma...XzcaAs-A8P8HAQ

Totslly waterproof.

HMmm. When I win the Lotto
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 2:11:28 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/07/16 13:55, fred wrote:
Is this the dogs bollix as flooring for a small trailer.

Is it completely waterproof or are the edges its achilles heel ?

pretty much completely waterproof

Josef Stalin

No. I've discovered that cut edges must be treated wirg bitumen or simillar to achieve waterproof-ness