Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Phenolic Handles

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
newstqdnWqHLKJGLwbFnZ2dnUU7-
I used to work at a place where every mechanical engineer had this big
catalog on his desk that was handles and shoulder screws and knobs and
whatnot from cover to cover. Now if I need something, I can't find it.
It's very frustrating.

I KNOW THAT FEELING. I grew up in a rural area, and my dad owned the local
hardware store. We also had the grocery store next door, and our work shops
were out back of the grocery store. When I was working on something and
needed a part or a tool I'd just walk over to the hardware store and get
what I needed. Now I live in town, and often I drive, call, and web surf
all over town and nobody has that part or tool I need. That part or tool
that I know exactly where it used to be on the shelf in my dad's little old
country hardware store.

It's very frustrating. Fortunately, I mostly do circuit design and I DO
know where to find that stuff (except for connectors and switches -- and
that's everyone's bugaboo).

Yeah, the electronics suppliers have done a decent job of staying up with
the times making it easy for us to find the part we need on-line. Well.
except for Radio Shack which has become no better than a pop-up cell phone
store.

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.

I did check Amazon, but didn't take the time to contact any of the sellers
to ask questions.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services