vmtw

Default Turning Phenolic Laminate

Anyone ever try it on a woodworking lathe with hand heald tools? We do
it on metal working lathes at work. We toss TONS of scrap laminate
that would be good for small projects.
Scott
Kip055

Anyone ever try it on a woodworking lathe with hand heald tools? We do
it on metal working lathes at work. We toss TONS of scrap laminate

I'm not sure of the chemical composition but I once turned a disc of Pergo
flooring (to use as an inlay in a small table top). Never worked anything
before or since that was faster at dulling a tool!!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
Martin Rost

"Kip055" wrote in message
Anyone ever try it on a woodworking lathe with hand heald tools? We do
it on metal working lathes at work. We toss TONS of scrap laminate

I'm not sure of the chemical composition but I once turned a disc of Pergo
flooring (to use as an inlay in a small table top). Never worked anything
before or since that was faster at dulling a tool!!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

When I hear Phenolic, I think of printed circuit boards. That stuff dulls
your tools and stinks. How does the phenolic cut, does it smell, and what
do you make out of it at work.
Martin

vmtw

(vmtw) wrote in message om...
Anyone ever try it on a woodworking lathe with hand heald tools? We do
it on metal working lathes at work. We toss TONS of scrap laminate
that would be good for small projects.
Scott

This is a link to the place that I work
www.ilnorplex.com It will
help give you an idea of what I am talking about. We make phenolic
laminate (layers of paper saturated with phenolic resin) An example
that you may be familiar with would be the phenolic plate used in
router tables. We also use cotton cloth, glass cloth, carbon fiber
and a few other plastics as substrates. The two main resins are
Phenolic and Epoxy. We make 48"*120" sheets anywhere from .090 to
over 12" in thickness. I can get all of the scrap jig material that I
need, I was just wondering if anyone ever tried it for turning.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/smr-rob-1.htm Here is a picture of
phenolic laminate.
Scott

Paul C. Proffitt

Maybe you or your company should consider selling phenolic scraps on
ebay or something. Seems to be a good market there for similar materials
in small and medium sizes. Of course I'd be happy to talk to you about
that if you want to email me personally. (g) I would also be interested
in trying it in the laser engraver as long as there are no PVCs or
similar compounds in it. The really thin sheet might make interesting
'signature' medallions for embedding in woodworking projects. It might
also make interesting business cards, but .090 is a little thick for that.

vmtw wrote:
(vmtw) wrote in message om...

[...]

dalecue

vmtw wrote in message ...
Anyone ever try it on a woodworking lathe with hand heald tools? We do
it on metal working lathes at work. We toss TONS of scrap laminate
that would be good for small projects.
Scott

Scott,
checked out the web page - looks like you folks got the once-upon-a-time
Westinghouse Micarta line - an excellent prioduct

I have lots of experience turning phenolics -the short version is:

avoid the glass reinforced stuff

molded rodI know, it;s already roundin the X, CE, or LE grades is what you
want to use - it turns and sands well, and will take a finnish
the other grades are too abrasive and/or nasty to deal with

sheet rod,cut from layerded sheets has a tendency
to de-lamminate when turned

shoot me an emai l- change the "spamex" to "att"
if you can get tons of scrap - we should talk

HTH
Dale

Dan Bollinger

I've turned, sawn and milled a lot of phenolic. I haven't done it using
hand held tools, but don't see any reason not to. The most common grades of
phenolic 1/4" and up use canvas reinforcement. Thinner sheets are often
reinforced with paper. I've never heard of glass filled phenolic. If you
wanted FRP most people would go to polyester or epoxy resins, not phenolic.

I would only use scraper tools.