Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cloudy gas????

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2011 8:34 PM, Dave wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

If the gas temperature was much below 32 degrees, then the alcohol in
the gasoline has absorbed water and it has frozen out of solution in the
alcohol. Just a guess, as you mentioned snow!

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 4:34*am, Dave wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

If it was avgas, it would be rejected as possibly causing carb. icing.
It has absorbed some water.
However it is a very small amount, it is probably OK to use.

There is always water in mogas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I
went to fill the tank noticed the gas in the can was
cloudy. The gas was purchased around the beginning of Oct
and stored with a tight lid so I cant imagine it has gone
bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know
anything.

I had that happen too. Turns out it was water in the gas.
Don't know how it got there. I dumped it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 4:34 am, Dave wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

In order to use up this old gas:
1. filter it (through felt or chamois leather);
2. use it in your car. (The car's fuel filter guarantees it will
burn OK: Most snow blowers have no fuel filter.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, that proves it. I must have taken up drinking, again.
Sorry, folks, someone got to stop cloning around.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message ...

"Dave" wrote in message
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I
went to fill the
tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was
purchased around
the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has
gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know
anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:21:03 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

On Nov 28, 4:34 am, Dave wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

In order to use up this old gas:
1. filter it (through felt or chamois leather);
2. use it in your car. (The car's fuel filter guarantees it will
burn OK: Most snow blowers have no fuel filter.)

I think I'd use it to kill grass, start fires, or clean brushes.

Dump it in my car? Not on *your* life.

If I was going to trust a filter [which I wouldn't] - I'd put one on
the snowblower. [I have one on mine, but still wouldn't put
questionable gas in it.]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spoof

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 11:34*pm, Dave wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

Sounds like water. Probably too late to see if gas station is at
fault.
Chamois filter idea sounds good or maybe even dry paper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Spoof, the friendly ghost?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 5:06*pm, Frank wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:34*pm, Dave wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

Sounds like water. *Probably too late to see if gas station is at
fault.
Chamois filter idea sounds good or maybe even dry paper.

No amount of filtering will remove water from petrol.
Water in petrol is normal and is permitted to controlled levels,
Petrol is hygroscopic it absorbs water from the air and there is
water in it when manufactured.
It can only be removed by an adsorbent device..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 2:35 PM, harry wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:06 pm, wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:34 pm, wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

Sounds like water. Probably too late to see if gas station is at
fault.
Chamois filter idea sounds good or maybe even dry paper.

No amount of filtering will remove water from petrol.
Water in petrol is normal and is permitted to controlled levels,
Petrol is hygroscopic it absorbs water from the air and there is
water in it when manufactured.
It can only be removed by an adsorbent device..

It's not filtering but absorbing into the chamois or paper.
In the lab, I'd use anhydrous calcium sulfate or molecular sieves.
Petrol, without alcohol is not hygroscopic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 28, 4:34 am, Dave wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

In order to use up this old gas:
1. filter it (through felt or chamois leather);
2. use it in your car. (The car's fuel filter guarantees it will
burn OK: Most snow blowers have no fuel filter.)

I think I'd use it to kill grass, start fires, or clean brushes.

Dump it in my car? Not on *your* life.

If I was going to trust a filter [which I wouldn't] - I'd put one on
the snowblower. [I have one on mine, but still wouldn't put
questionable gas in it.]

Jim

A gallon or so of gasoline contaminated with a small amount water (or other
normally undesireable product such as 2 stroke oil or diesel fuel) will not
harm a car if added to a nearly full (let's say 15 gallons or more) tank.
If you believe it to be water add a can of drygas if your area doesn't use
ethanol blended gasonline) This is SOP for many vehicle fleet operators
to get rid of such contaminants without having to go the hazardous disposal
route & the attendant documention requirements and costs. (Speaking from
34 years experience in vehicle fleet maintenance & management)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
harry wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:06*pm, Frank wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:34*pm, Dave wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

Sounds like water. *Probably too late to see if gas station is at
fault.
Chamois filter idea sounds good or maybe even dry paper.

No amount of filtering will remove water from petrol.
Water in petrol is normal and is permitted to controlled levels,
Petrol is hygroscopic it absorbs water from the air and there is
water in it when manufactured.
It can only be removed by an adsorbent device..

Not entirely correct. Genuine, new chamois, first soaked in clean
gasoline can be effective enough for a snow blower, though certainly
would not be recommended for an airplane.

See for instance:
http://www.marineenginedigest.com/sp...n_the_fuel.htm
http://www.free-online-private-pilot...owerplant.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamois_leather

Gasoline is not hygroscopic unless it has been blended with ethanor
or other hygroscopic compounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought a snow blower, had been sitting for a while. Two
stroke Tecumseh engine. Would not run, as the metering jet
for the carb was clogged. Dissemble, and clear that. After
clearing the jet every five minutes, a couple times. I found
a fuel filter I had figured to use on a lawn mower, new in
package. With some hesitation, I gave my snow blower a
vasectomy, and put in a fuel filter. Runs a lot better, now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I

went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas

was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid

so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know

anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 12:13 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 11/27/2011 8:34 PM, Dave wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

If the gas temperature was much below 32 degrees, then the alcohol in
the gasoline has absorbed water and it has frozen out of solution in the
alcohol. Just a guess, as you mentioned snow!

Paul

Just what I feared. I'll prolly toss the gas on the brush pile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 1:55 AM, harry wrote:
On Nov 28, 4:34 am, wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

If it was avgas, it would be rejected as possibly causing carb. icing.

Water in the gas causes carburetor icing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 9:21 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
On Nov 28, 4:34 am, wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

In order to use up this old gas:
1. filter it (through felt or chamois leather);
2. use it in your car. (The car's fuel filter guarantees it will
burn OK: Most snow blowers have no fuel filter.)

So a cars fuel filter will remove the water?

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand, a car fuel filter can block the water. And
then the water collects, at the fuel filter, until worse
things happen.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dave" wrote in message

So a cars fuel filter will remove the water?

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I took some pilot lessons, they had a knob for "carb
heat" which we ran heat, every day, all day. Between high
altitudes, and air flow, and all. Carbs have been known to
ice over. Cuts the air flow to the engine, and leads to less
than ideal flying conditions.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dave" wrote in message

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know
anything.

If it was avgas, it would be rejected as possibly causing
carb. icing.

Water in the gas causes carburetor icing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:20:38 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

As I understand, a car fuel filter can block the water. And
then the water collects, at the fuel filter, until worse
things happen.

Back in the day, fuel filters had a glass globe. You could see the
water, trash, etc. via the glass.

Simple as removing the glass to wash it out. I've seen them filled
with sugar for vandalism when sugar was poured into the fuel tank.

Pic:

http://www.impalas.com/images/T/GF48.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen those glass globe, on tractors. Now, we're totally
in the disposable era. Next, we'll have disposable
computers, disposable food containers for restaurants,
disposable tissues, disposable diapers, and what next.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

As I understand, a car fuel filter can block the water. And
then the water collects, at the fuel filter, until worse
things happen.

Back in the day, fuel filters had a glass globe. You could
see the
water, trash, etc. via the glass.

Simple as removing the glass to wash it out. I've seen them
filled
with sugar for vandalism when sugar was poured into the fuel
tank.

Pic:

http://www.impalas.com/images/T/GF48.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:38:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've seen those glass globe, on tractors. Now, we're totally
in the disposable era. Next, we'll have disposable
computers, disposable food containers for restaurants,
disposable tissues, disposable diapers, and what next.

They were also on cars and trucks.

You can still get in-line filters with glass, so you can see inside.

Please stop to posting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 4:34 am, wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

If it was avgas, it would be rejected as possibly causing carb. icing.

Water in the gas causes carburetor icing?

Not exactly all the time, high humidity is usually the culprit. Lookie he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 5:17 PM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:06 pm, wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:34 pm, wrote:

[...]

I thought the term was "miscible". When you mix alcohol with gasoline
the mixture is miscible with water because the alcohol is miscible with
both water and gasoline. I thought "hygroscopic" referred to solid
compounds?

http://chemistry.about.com/od/dictio...efmiscible.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6rfs94n

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...Definition.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7jy72cw

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 5:06 pm, *wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:34 pm, *wrote:

[...]

Petrol, without alcohol is not hygroscopic.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.fueldoctors.com/tech_talk...nation/more/7/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 4:34 am, *wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

If it was avgas, it would be rejected as possibly causing carb. icing.

Water in the gas causes carburetor icing?

One cause. The jets can block with ice. Depends on atmospheric
conditions.
Test papers are available to determine the level of water in avgas.
A sample of every load of avgas delivered has to be taken tested and
retained, at least in the UK.
http://www.asearle.co.uk/AVGAS-fuel-testing.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 11:17*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,

harry wrote:

See for instance:http://www.marineenginedigest.com/sp...hamois_leather

Gasoline is not hygroscopic unless it has been blended with ethanor
or other hygroscopic compounds.

--
* * *Better to be stuck up in a tree than tied to one.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org- Hide quoted text -

Gasoline/petrol certainly is hygroscopic. Ethanol just makes it more
hygroscopic.
Kits are availble for testing for water in Avgas which has no ethanol.
http://www.asearle.co.uk/AVGAS-fuel-testing.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Dave" wrote in message

So a cars fuel filter will remove the water?

Can you catch water with a fishnet? Don't be foolish.
Water dissolves in petrol up to a point and is invisible. (It can be
tested for with a special kit).
When that point is reached, or the petrol cools visible water can be
seen.
This is what causes trouble in engines.
The "cloudiness" is minute water droplets in the petrol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hygroscopic can refer to either solids (like calcium
chloride) or liquids (like the mineral oil used in HVAC
systems).

He did mean ethanoL not ethanoR.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Gasoline is not hygroscopic unless it has been blended
with ethanor
or other hygroscopic compounds.

I thought the term was "miscible". When you mix alcohol with
gasoline
the mixture is miscible with water because the alcohol is
miscible with
both water and gasoline. I thought "hygroscopic" referred to
solid
compounds?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 8:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I bought a snow blower, had been sitting for a while. Two
stroke Tecumseh engine. Would not run, as the metering jet
for the carb was clogged. Dissemble, and clear that. After
clearing the jet every five minutes, a couple times. I found
a fuel filter I had figured to use on a lawn mower, new in
package. With some hesitation, I gave my snow blower a
vasectomy, and put in a fuel filter. Runs a lot better, now.

I've got a 4 stroke Tecumseh which says to either store with stabilized
gas or run dry. The one year I left stabilized gas in it, it would not
run and carburetor seals had to be replaced. Further reading of manual
says not to use gas with ethanol in it. The ethanol increases the
polarity of the gas which may attack seals not made for it. This is the
kind of unintended consequences you get when you let politicians make
technical decisions on what must be put in your gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen see-through filters, actually have one on my snow
blower. It's plastic, though.

Might just continue to post.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren"
wrote in message

I've seen those glass globe, on tractors. Now, we're
totally

They were also on cars and trucks.

You can still get in-line filters with glass, so you can see
inside.

Please stop to posting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard that ethanol attacks seals.

Did we "let the politicians"? I thought they decided on
their own. We might be able to rein in the pols, but who can
tell. I suspect the pols have taken on a life of thier own.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank"
wrote in message ...

I've got a 4 stroke Tecumseh which says to either store with
stabilized
gas or run dry. The one year I left stabilized gas in it,
it would not
run and carburetor seals had to be replaced. Further
reading of manual
says not to use gas with ethanol in it. The ethanol
increases the
polarity of the gas which may attack seals not made for it.
This is the
kind of unintended consequences you get when you let
politicians make
technical decisions on what must be put in your gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 6:07 PM, Dave wrote:
On 11/28/2011 12:13 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 11/27/2011 8:34 PM, Dave wrote:
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

I called the gas station but they don't seem to know anything.

If the gas temperature was much below 32 degrees, then the alcohol in
the gasoline has absorbed water and it has frozen out of solution in the
alcohol. Just a guess, as you mentioned snow!

Paul

Just what I feared. I'll prolly toss the gas on the brush pile.

Be sure to get a fire started before tossing the gas. Ask me how I know!

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:
...snipped...

... The ethanol increases the
polarity of the gas which may attack seals not made for it. This is the
kind of unintended consequences you get when you let politicians make
technical decisions on what must be put in your gas.

It's not the politicians who make those decisions, but the lobbiests and
high $$ campaign contributors who tell them what to do.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 11/28/2011 5:17 PM, Larry W wrote:

...snipped...
Gasoline is not hygroscopic unless it has been blended with ethanor
or other hygroscopic compounds.

I thought the term was "miscible". When you mix alcohol with gasoline
the mixture is miscible with water because the alcohol is miscible with
both water and gasoline. I thought "hygroscopic" referred to solid
compounds?

http://chemistry.about.com/od/dictio...efmiscible.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6rfs94n

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...Definition.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7jy72cw

TDD

You evidently are correct for the terminology that a chemist would
use, though I believe that 2 liquids being miscible does not necessarily
imply an attraction between the 2 of them the way that "hygroscopic" does
for a substance that attracts water. My background is in vehicle and mobile
equipment maintenance, where the term "hygroscopic" is commonly used to
describe the affinity that DOT 3 (glycerine based) brake fluid and
some other automotive fluids seem to have for water.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

HELP! cloudy water [email protected] UK diy 3 November 18th 08 10:40 PM
Got A Cloudy Pool? Your Local Pool Guy Home Repair 2 December 16th 06 02:57 PM
Cloudy hot water stinkeroo Home Repair 17 December 4th 06 12:34 PM
cloudy water [email protected] UK diy 3 August 1st 05 03:52 PM
Dishwasher - cloudy glasses Terry D UK diy 26 March 9th 04 10:09 AM