Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Cloudy gas????

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 11/28/2011 5:17 PM, Larry W wrote:

...snipped...
Gasoline is not hygroscopic unless it has been blended with ethanor
or other hygroscopic compounds.

I thought the term was "miscible". When you mix alcohol with gasoline
the mixture is miscible with water because the alcohol is miscible with
both water and gasoline. I thought "hygroscopic" referred to solid
compounds?

http://chemistry.about.com/od/dictio...efmiscible.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6rfs94n

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...Definition.htm

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7jy72cw

TDD

You evidently are correct for the terminology that a chemist would
use, though I believe that 2 liquids being miscible does not necessarily
imply an attraction between the 2 of them the way that "hygroscopic" does
for a substance that attracts water. My background is in vehicle and mobile
equipment maintenance, where the term "hygroscopic" is commonly used to
describe the affinity that DOT 3 (glycerine based) brake fluid and
some other automotive fluids seem to have for water.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)