Terry D

Default Dishwasher - cloudy glasses

I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

Set Square

Terry D wrote:

I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely
brilliant and I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only
niggle is that some, but not all of my glassware has ended up with a
partial cloudy appearance. Is there any way to avoid this and can the
cloudy film be removed? The glassware most affected are cheap
supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My wineglasses (also cheap) seem
unaffected.

Terry D.

Not sure you can rescue them once it's happened. You can help to avoid it by
making sure that the rinse agent dispenser and salt container are not
allowed to become empty.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Harry Ziman

It depends on the detergent that you have been using - some will slowly etch
some glass and given that one type of glasses has suffered while the other
has not probably confirms it. Either you cloudy glasses are not dishwasher
proof and need to be washed by hand, you need to accept the cloudiness or
you could try another detergent.

The cloudiness can't be removed.

Hope that helps.

Harry
"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant

and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

MrCheerful

"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant

and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

Never put lead glass in a dishwasher.

mrcheerful

Ian Stirling

Set Square wrote:
Terry D wrote:

I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely
brilliant and I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only
niggle is that some, but not all of my glassware has ended up with a
partial cloudy appearance. Is there any way to avoid this and can the

Not sure you can rescue them once it's happened. You can help to avoid it by
making sure that the rinse agent dispenser and salt container are not
allowed to become empty.

No reason why you couldn't polish them.
Will be a lot of work though.
See rec.crafts.glass

dave @ stejonda

In message ,
MrCheerful writes
"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago.

The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed?

Never put lead glass in a dishwasher.

Are you suggesting that lead glass can cause cloudiness in other
glasses?

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
to spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing country."
Ram Dass
MrCheerful

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message ,
MrCheerful writes
"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago.

The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy

appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed?

Never put lead glass in a dishwasher.

Are you suggesting that lead glass can cause cloudiness in other
glasses?

--

no, the lead content in the glass reacts with the salts etc. in dishwash
powder and turns the glass cloudy, I don't think it leaches out and effects

MrCheerful

Pete C

Hi,

Do you live in a hard water area? One possibility is that scale
particles forms in the water as it is heated and these particles
abrade the glass and cause the cloudiness.

cheers,
Pete

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:08:55 -0000, "Terry D"
wrote:

I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

AK

"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant

and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

Detergent gradually etches the glass. Never put good quality glass in the
dishwasher, use cheap glassware for use in the dishwasher then you just
replace it when it goes cloudy

Terry

"MrCheerful" wrote in message

"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant

and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy

appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

Never put lead glass in a dishwasher.

mrcheerful

Yeah; but thought that one is not supposed to drink from leaded glass?
Isn't lead why some affluent Romans went mad?
Or am I thinking of lead glaze on some porcelain ware that can be dissolved
by certain foods and dishwashing?
And what about pewter? I've read, I think, not to put pewter through a
dishwasher (not that I would!).

Terry

"AK" wrote in message

"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant

and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy

appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

Detergent gradually etches the glass. Never put good quality glass in the
dishwasher, use cheap glassware for use in the dishwasher then you just
replace it when it goes cloudy

I've heard same "Never put high quality glass ware, such as wine glasses in
a dishwasher".

Mortimer

"AK" wrote in message ...
"Terry D" wrote in message
I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant

and
I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that

some,
but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance.
Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The
glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My
wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

Detergent gradually etches the glass. Never put good quality glass in the
dishwasher, use cheap glassware for use in the dishwasher then you just
replace it when it goes cloudy

We live in a soft water area (Near Birmingham) and have used a Bosch
dishwasher for a number of years, never had a problem with cloudy
glasses, we do use different dishwaser tablets/powder every time one
box runs out we use a different brand next time, same with washing
powder for laundry (my wifes ideas not sure of the logic). Also I
regularly dismantle the internal pipes and spray arms inside the
dishwasher and unclog all the accumulated food debris etc then use one
of those dishwasher cleaning packs you get from supermarket, make sure
your rinse aid is always topped up, and salt, although we dont use it
here. Hope that helps.
Mark
dave @ stejonda

In message , AK writes

Detergent gradually etches the glass. Never put good quality glass in the
dishwasher, use cheap glassware for use in the dishwasher then you just
replace it when it goes cloudy

Just got back from the shop - Finish are now selling Protector which
'releases glass protecting agents that neutralise the damaging corrosive
elements'. Why don't they just remove the damaging corrosive elements?

In uk.d-i-y, dave @ stejonda wrote:

Just got back from the shop - Finish are now selling Protector which
'releases glass protecting agents that neutralise the damaging corrosive
elements'. Why don't they just remove the damaging corrosive elements?

Umm, chemistry.

When you wash dishes by hand, you have an intelligent system which directs
mechanical scrubbing action at the particularly dirty bits. Until the
advent of nanobots ;-) no dishwasher-and-powder combination can do this;
so, to compensate for the absence of a direct mechanical scrubbing action,
the water temperature is noticeably higher than for handwashing (if
you ever dunk your hands into 65-degs-C water you'll know about it!!), the
dishwasher detergent is markedly more aggressive than what you'd use in the
sink, and the washing cycle goes on for a damn sight longer than any
normal ooman bean is willing to put in at the sink - maybe 20+ minutes
sustained washing time. Without the "aggressive" and mildly caustic
washing powder, your dirtier plates and pans just aren't going to come
out clean - and remember the woshdosh has to subject all the contents to
enough cleaning for 'worst case' (with a crude separation between top and
bottom racks which reduces the pressure, and possibly volume, of the
dissolved cleaning-gunk sprayed at the top rack by comparison with the
bottom).

HTH - Stefek

Andy Hall

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:48:59 +0000, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , AK writes

Detergent gradually etches the glass. Never put good quality glass in the
dishwasher, use cheap glassware for use in the dishwasher then you just
replace it when it goes cloudy

Just got back from the shop - Finish are now selling Protector which
'releases glass protecting agents that neutralise the damaging corrosive
elements'. Why don't they just remove the damaging corrosive elements?

Because you can charge more money if you add things......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
dmc

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

Don't forget that some of these products have the ball component which
is released by the action of higher temperatures for a long time. The
neutraliser could be in there.

Does that really work?

Being inquisitive I tried opening the dishwasher at various points to
see this process (yes, I know. Nothing you can say will be worse than
what my wife thought :-)) in action and the entire tablet complete with
ball seemed to turn into a soggy mess at about the same rate. Certainly
no obvious "staged release" or whatever it is they advertised.

We went back to bog standard (and therefore quarter price) tesco own
brand cheapies. Can't say I have noticed any real decline in washing
performance - certainly save a fair bit of cash though.

As far as glasses go, we have some that go cloudy all over, a couple that
seem to be effected in certain places and some that show now cloudiness at
all. Given that they are all cheap and nasty anyway they just get thrown
when they are too manky (although most get broken before this stage in our
house )

Darren

dmc

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

Don't forget that some of these products have the ball component which
is released by the action of higher temperatures for a long time. The
neutraliser could be in there.

Does that really work?

Seems to in mine....

Hmmm.

I can see more investigations are required. I'll wait till the wife is
out though

Darren

James Fidell

In article , dmc wrote:
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

Don't forget that some of these products have the ball component which
is released by the action of higher temperatures for a long time. The
neutraliser could be in there.

Does that really work?

Being inquisitive I tried opening the dishwasher at various points to
see this process (yes, I know. Nothing you can say will be worse than
what my wife thought :-)) in action and the entire tablet complete with
ball seemed to turn into a soggy mess at about the same rate. Certainly
no obvious "staged release" or whatever it is they advertised.

I've always assumed that the "ball" and differently coloured layers in
dishwasher tablets were all the same and just made up with dyes to make
the user think the different bits do different things. Any "additives"
are a function of the entire tablet, I'm sure.

James
Andy Hall

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:55:16 +0000 (UTC), James Fidell
wrote:

In article , dmc wrote:
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:

Don't forget that some of these products have the ball component which
is released by the action of higher temperatures for a long time. The
neutraliser could be in there.

Does that really work?

Being inquisitive I tried opening the dishwasher at various points to
see this process (yes, I know. Nothing you can say will be worse than
what my wife thought :-)) in action and the entire tablet complete with
ball seemed to turn into a soggy mess at about the same rate. Certainly
no obvious "staged release" or whatever it is they advertised.

I've always assumed that the "ball" and differently coloured layers in
dishwasher tablets were all the same and just made up with dyes to make
the user think the different bits do different things. Any "additives"
are a function of the entire tablet, I'm sure.

James

I'm not sure. On mine, the little ball does seem to hang around until
towards the end. Whether it has different stuff in it, I have no
idea, but the end result is OK and that's what I care about.