Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Cloudy gas????

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:21:03 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

On Nov 28, 4:34 am, Dave wrote:

I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill
the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased
around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so I cant
imagine it has gone bad...or has it???? Is it ok to use?

In order to use up this old gas:
1. filter it (through felt or chamois leather);
2. use it in your car. (The car's fuel filter guarantees it will
burn OK: Most snow blowers have no fuel filter.)

I think I'd use it to kill grass, start fires, or clean brushes.

Dump it in my car? Not on *your* life.

If I was going to trust a filter [which I wouldn't] - I'd put one on
the snowblower. [I have one on mine, but still wouldn't put
questionable gas in it.]

Jim

A gallon or so of gasoline contaminated with a small amount water (or other
normally undesireable product such as 2 stroke oil or diesel fuel) will not
harm a car if added to a nearly full (let's say 15 gallons or more) tank.
If you believe it to be water add a can of drygas if your area doesn't use
ethanol blended gasonline) This is SOP for many vehicle fleet operators
to get rid of such contaminants without having to go the hazardous disposal
route & the attendant documention requirements and costs. (Speaking from
34 years experience in vehicle fleet maintenance & management)