Yellow Jackets in the Eaves!

Old August 7th 07, 04:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Yellow Jackets in the Eaves!

Yesterday I discovered yellow jackets entering my house in a corner
under the eaves. For some reason there is a corner gap/hole plenty big
enough for them to get in. I was just about to climb a ladder when I
looked up and saw them swarming around. The entrance is probably 12-15
feet above ground level, so no way to get to the hole without a ladder,
and I'm not sure I'd want to be on a ladder next to a bees nest.

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees? I'm most concerned about
damage to the house and honey left behind to attract other problems.
Unfortunately that attic isn't really accessible from the inside.

I'm considering using a Wasp & Hornet killer like this
http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_w_h_k_pre.asp but I can't really spray
into the house from the ground. I've also heard these products could
stain the siding and wood. I'd also prefer the bugs died outside of the
house than embedded within.

I'd appreciate any help or experience at getting rid of interior nests
high above ground!

Old August 7th 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Chris wrote:
[...]

Wasp and hornet spray like the one in your link. Shoots about
20 feet accurately. And yellow jackets don't make honey.
Only honeybees do that.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Old August 7th 07, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

You want too much. What do you care if they die inside or out?

Old August 7th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Chris writes:

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees?

If you're up north in a freezing climate, they'll just die off around frost
season, at which time you seal up the hole(s). They live off flowers and
starve in the fall when the flowers disappear. That's why they're getting
so ornery around Labor Day picnic time and going after fruit-scented soft
drinks. The queen hibernates to survive over the winter and starts a new
colony in the spring.

So simply waiting is very effective.

The petroleum stream in a can is very effective, but it won't get inside
your structure to kill the nest. They can be nesting quite a ways away
from the entrance, so even tubing in insecticide is not always effective.

A Raid fumigator would do it nicely if you can cut a hole into the space,
which is a bit challenging if they decide to come after you for breaching
their enclosure. Those things will kill everything in a good sized room.
Old August 7th 07, 05:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Richard J Kinch writes:

Those things will kill everything in a good sized room.

I mean the Raid fumigators will kill all the insects in a large space, not
that the insects will get you!
Old August 7th 07, 06:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
cc

On Aug 6, 11:49 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Richard J Kinch writes:
Those things will kill everything in a good sized room.

I mean the Raid fumigators will kill all the insects in a large space, not
that the insects will get you!

go to the web and look for "do it yourself pest control"..they have a
powder that kills almost any insect, and willl kill wasps..had 9 nests
in my eves, first application killed 7, then used expanding foam to
close of crevices..two are still active and will be reapplying thos
this weekend..stuff works..can get a rubber pump with a long wand that
you can sticik inside the eave..once the powder is tracked to the
nest, it is all over..

Old August 7th 07, 07:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

buffalo ny: you might be tempted to use the non-poisonous 4% mint oil
spray like you do for the ants but it's too slow and it is an strong
irritant to me after spraying half a can on a baseball sized nest.
wait until one hour after dark when they are home and nuke them with
the aerosol canned long stream of foam.
later that week when the giant two-inch body wasp arrives in your
home, offer her a 300 watt halogen torchiere floor lamp and turn off
other lights. have your window fan ready to exhaust the burning insect
smell.
repeat when the 1" body wasp arrives a day or 2 later in the bathroom,
shut door with lamp on and other lights off.

Old August 7th 07, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Lar

Chris wrote:

Any suggestions for getting rid of these bees? I'm most concerned about
damage to the house and honey left behind to attract other problems.
Unfortunately that attic isn't really accessible from the inside.

If they are not getting into the house they are of no concern, though as
Winter arrives some may find their way inside through the ceiling
penetration of light fixtures or can lighting. Wasps don't make honey so
that won't be an issue. They will die out when winter arrives. Yellow
jackets will be hundreds of wasps by the end of Summer in an enclosed
nest so it will be just blind luck if you can kill them out with the
usual sprays/dusts in what you are describing.

Lar
Old August 7th 07, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Aug 6, 11:26 pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Like everybody says, they'll die in winter and you can go up and mess
around safely. The main idea is that if there's a good nesting spot
there, they'll come back, so you want to stop them from moving back
in. I've had good luck with putting a few mothballs in a mesh bag like
they sell vegetables in, and thumbtacking it next to the hole pretty
early in the spring before they start homesteading, then replacing
next year, etc. But that's on the proch eaves, where I don't have to
climb up much of a ladder every spring.

Old August 7th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I mounted a high speed fan to a 2X4 and than clamped it to a ladder such
that the fan was 5 inches from the opening. After 24 hrs of running and
being chopped up by the blades, nothing was left and it was safe to nuke the
opening with spray. Some people might position a shop vav hose near the
opening.

Sometimes the nest is far from the entry hole and spray wont get there. The
prefered method is to puff a powdered poison into the hole so that they
track the poison to the nest.

Yellow Jackets M Q Home Repair 7 July 30th 07 10:53 AM
Yellow Jackets Jim Home Repair 4 October 22nd 06 04:00 PM
More yellow jackets questions mypet Home Ownership 2 October 31st 04 12:47 AM
Yellow Jackets ?????? Stephen Home Repair 13 October 9th 04 06:06 PM
Yellow jackets, wasps and bees........OH MY! Albee Kuminova Home Ownership 2 August 29th 04 11:27 PM