Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mypet

Default More yellow jackets questions

We have yellow jackets which have apparently built a nest in the
ground amongst a group of shrubbery and azaleas next to our back door.

I have read other posts on how to rid ourselves of them and have
questions.

My first choice would be to use the Rescue traps or the "pop bottle"
method as we have small children. I need something to work quickly as
we live in the south and the children are really wanting to play
outside. Do these methods truly work?

I read the following in a previous post and was wonder "where do we
place the pop bottles in proximity to the nest?

Put a 2L pop bottle with part juice and part dish washing detergent.
They go into the bottle for the juice but the detergent prevents the
miniscus from forming under their feet and they sink to the bottom.
Saw it
on the "Ask Jon Eakes" home improvment show."
anon

(mypet) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I live about 50 miles north of San Francisco.

I had a couple of YJ nests in the ground.

Always do this at night when they are all in the nest - otherwise you
will get stung when they fly around.

First I tried spraying with liquid YJ killer spray (from Ace Hardware)
- that did not do too much good as most of it soaked into the soil.

Next I tried the foam (also from Ace) and that seemed to work much
better - some soaked into the soil but putting more on it sealed the
hole and the next day I sprayed some more so reseal the hole.

Both of these are recommended for YJ paper nests, usually under the
eves of the house, but it worked fine for the ground nest.

Since you are doing this at night and the spray has dried by morning,
you should have no problem with the kids. (Respray next night instead
of morning.)

Actually, I did not use more than about 1/2 can of either for the job.

No more YJs a year later.
mypet

Thanks for the post and suggestions. Now, if I could just find the
nest/entry hole.
Being as I can only get close at night to keep from getting stung...I
can't see where in the shrubbery the entry hole is located.