Ryan Dahl

Default Sony Multiscan 210 ES monitor turning yellow

Hi,

my trustee old Sony monitor occasionally turns yellow. This happens
periodically and it remains yellow for a few second or up to several
minutes.

I suppose the yellow is caused by a missing "blue", and I'm pretty
sure that the problem isn't located in the cable.

I've read somewhere that older Sony products suffer from poor
soldering - could this be the case here? If yes - where on the circuit
board should I focus?

TIA
Ryan
Wayne

On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:06:07 +0200, Ryan Dahl
wrote:

Hi,

my trustee old Sony monitor occasionally turns yellow. This happens
periodically and it remains yellow for a few second or up to several
minutes.

I suppose the yellow is caused by a missing "blue", and I'm pretty
sure that the problem isn't located in the cable.

I've read somewhere that older Sony products suffer from poor
soldering - could this be the case here? If yes - where on the circuit
board should I focus?

TIA
Ryan

Does a good whack on the side or top of the monitor clear up the
problem? If so, is probably bad solder on the CRT PCB on the neck
board. You will have to de-solder the metal shield on this PCB to get
at the solder side. While you're in there, I would check ALL boards
for bad solder, and would esr all the electros and replace as
required.

Wayne

John Gill

Ryan:

The must common faults of missing colors a
1. A break in the color video signal wire within the video cable.
This usually occurs near the end that connects to the computer.
Try bending the cable and see if the color comes back.
You can purchase new 15 pin ends at Radio Shack and solder a new
end on the cable.
2. A bad solder connection at the socket where the CRT circuit board
plugs onto the back of the picture tube. Just resolder the connections.
3. A bad video driver transistor or driver IC that supplies the color
signals to the picture tube. Measure the voltages on the three color
signal connections on the picture tube socket. The missing one will
usually be very different.
I would download a standard color bar program from the web to determine
which color is actually missing. There are also pinouts on the web that
indicate which pins do what functions on the picture tube socket.
Hope this helps...
John
Ryan Dahl

Thanks to the both of you!
Haven't gotton around to it yet, but it's always nice to have
something useful to do in the weekend!

/Ryan