Frank Dennis

Default Yellow Jacket traps

Some good discussion on hornets!
I have yellow jackets, and can't find the nest.
I'm on 3+acres heavily wooded.
The do love to bask on the umbrella on my deck, as well as on the grill.
Do yellow jacket traps do any good,, or do they just attract more YJ's?

Thanks,
Frank

Lar

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:53:50 GMT, Frank Dennis
wrote:

The do love to bask on the umbrella on my deck, as well as on the grill.
Do yellow jacket traps do any good,, or do they just attract more YJ's?

They probably will be more effective later in the Summer when their
diet changes from meats to sugars. You might try keeping them 10 feet
away from where you are at to reduce contact from the ones that are
attracted to the trap. Might make sure they are yellow Jackets and
not paper wasps.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Barry Mann

In , on 07/04/04
at 07:53 PM, Frank Dennis said:

Some good discussion on hornets!
I have yellow jackets, and can't find the nest.
I'm on 3+acres heavily wooded.
The do love to bask on the umbrella on my deck, as well as on the
grill. Do yellow jacket traps do any good,, or do they just attract
more YJ's?

Bait works, traps are a waste of time, however, you should get the
whole story:

http://www.bugspray.com/article/yellowjackets.html

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

David Efflandt

wrote:

The do love to bask on the umbrella on my deck, as well as on the grill.
Do yellow jacket traps do any good,, or do they just attract more YJ's?

They probably will be more effective later in the Summer when their
diet changes from meats to sugars. You might try keeping them 10 feet
away from where you are at to reduce contact from the ones that are
attracted to the trap. Might make sure they are yellow Jackets and
not paper wasps.

That just means that the bait for the trap should change from something
meaty earlier in summer and something sweet in late summer. That is
because they are actually beneficial by eating other bugs.

So when they made a nest in my eave, I let them be, and have not tried the
traps. I heard they do not reuse the same nest, and they are NOT back
this year.

The few that did get lost in my home had nothing to eat or drink, so they
were on their last legs. This German yellowjacket did not hardly energy
to move, much less fly away: http://efflandt.freeshell.org/wasp2.jpg

Although, I have run across some sort of yellowjackets in the woods that
live in the ground that can be nasty if disturbed. They can sting
repeatedly (one was humping my ankle).