Mark Jaggers

Default Gas Cooktop and Yellow Flames

I just installed a new gas cooktop to replace our old one. It is a GE
JGP336BEDBB 30 inch Glass cooktop. I got it installed and everything
seems to be working well, but I am concerned about some yellow flames.

If I turn it on without anything sitting on the burner it has periodic
yellow flickers. If I sit something on the burner like a tea kettle
it has more yellow flames. From reading the installation instructions
I should have no yellow flames at all. Did I do something wrong? Is
this normal? Does it need to be fixed?

BTW: this is Natural Gas

thanks
Mark
Joseph Meehan

It may have an adjustable air control for the flame. It may need to be
adjusted. It also could just be that it is burning off contaminates from
the burners and it will go away. I would not be too concerned if it is just
a few flicks.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Mark Jaggers" wrote in message
om...
I just installed a new gas cooktop to replace our old one. It is a GE
JGP336BEDBB 30 inch Glass cooktop. I got it installed and everything
seems to be working well, but I am concerned about some yellow flames.

If I turn it on without anything sitting on the burner it has periodic
yellow flickers. If I sit something on the burner like a tea kettle
it has more yellow flames. From reading the installation instructions
I should have no yellow flames at all. Did I do something wrong? Is
this normal? Does it need to be fixed?

BTW: this is Natural Gas

thanks
Mark

mark Ransley

800 GE will get the answer, but did you instal the regulator that came
with it, could be to much gas going to it.

mark Ransley

800 GE will get the answer, but did you instal the regulator that came
with it, could be to much gas going to it.

Colin

Mark,

Occasional yellow flickers are no problem. However, any steady yellow
flames indicate too much gas in the gas:air ratio.

Gas appliances use a venturi system to inject air into the gas stream,
and your gas pressure may be lower than 'normal', meaning you need a
larger air proportion. This is generally a simple adjustment (but don't
ask me how, as I am stuck with an electric range).

Colin

Mark Jaggers wrote:
I just installed a new gas cooktop to replace our old one. It is a GE
JGP336BEDBB 30 inch Glass cooktop. I got it installed and everything
seems to be working well, but I am concerned about some yellow flames.

If I turn it on without anything sitting on the burner it has periodic
yellow flickers. If I sit something on the burner like a tea kettle
it has more yellow flames. From reading the installation instructions
I should have no yellow flames at all. Did I do something wrong? Is
this normal? Does it need to be fixed?

BTW: this is Natural Gas

thanks
Mark

Erik

Read the manual that came with it. Adjusting the air/fuel ratio is a common
adjustment and is very simple to do and only needs to be done once.

--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite

"Mark Jaggers" wrote in message
om...
I just installed a new gas cooktop to replace our old one. It is a GE
JGP336BEDBB 30 inch Glass cooktop. I got it installed and everything
seems to be working well, but I am concerned about some yellow flames.

If I turn it on without anything sitting on the burner it has periodic
yellow flickers. If I sit something on the burner like a tea kettle
it has more yellow flames. From reading the installation instructions
I should have no yellow flames at all. Did I do something wrong? Is
this normal? Does it need to be fixed?

BTW: this is Natural Gas

thanks
Mark

TURTLE

"Mark Jaggers" wrote in message
om...
I just installed a new gas cooktop to replace our old one. It is a GE
JGP336BEDBB 30 inch Glass cooktop. I got it installed and everything
seems to be working well, but I am concerned about some yellow flames.

If I turn it on without anything sitting on the burner it has periodic
yellow flickers. If I sit something on the burner like a tea kettle
it has more yellow flames. From reading the installation instructions
I should have no yellow flames at all. Did I do something wrong? Is
this normal? Does it need to be fixed?

BTW: this is Natural Gas

thanks
Mark

This is Turtle.

Read the instruction and go to the section where it says about setting the
type fuel your using on the stove. There is switches that will let you use
it on Propane and then switch to natural gas by a flip of a switch to
convert it to natural gas. The instruction will explain all about this and i
feel you will find the problem with this section being read.

TURTLE