Colin

Default Gas Cooktop and Yellow Flames

Mark,

Occasional yellow flickers are no problem. However, any steady yellow
flames indicate too much gas in the gas:air ratio.

Gas appliances use a venturi system to inject air into the gas stream,
and your gas pressure may be lower than 'normal', meaning you need a
larger air proportion. This is generally a simple adjustment (but don't
ask me how, as I am stuck with an electric range).

Colin

Mark Jaggers wrote:
I just installed a new gas cooktop to replace our old one. It is a GE
JGP336BEDBB 30 inch Glass cooktop. I got it installed and everything
seems to be working well, but I am concerned about some yellow flames.

If I turn it on without anything sitting on the burner it has periodic
yellow flickers. If I sit something on the burner like a tea kettle
it has more yellow flames. From reading the installation instructions
I should have no yellow flames at all. Did I do something wrong? Is
this normal? Does it need to be fixed?

BTW: this is Natural Gas

thanks
Mark